Hyundai Forums banner

881 - 900 of 951 Posts

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
It use to be what comes on a Ford from the factory is only available on new cars and not aftermarket. haven't been involved in Fords for a few years though. And I know Purolator makes the aftermarket filter.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
It use to be what comes on a Ford from the factory is only available on new cars and not aftermarket. haven't been involved in Fords for a few years though. And I know Purolator makes the aftermarket filter.
I think the theme here is that things can change at any time. Manufacturer, quality, etc. can change at any time. Seems to be the reality of the world we live in. I miss to good old days. :)

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
We are confusing a lot of things here.

At one time, new Fords had a different filter (Toyota also in some cases). So the car might ship with a Ford 325????-??? filter. You couldn't buy that at the parts store or the dealer. Not sure what was different between it and the FL-1A

When you did an oil change, the dealer would sell you the Motorcraft FL-1A filter. That could be made by whoever Ford gave the contract to - I think some years it was Champ (not sure if that is the same as Champion) Labs, some years it was apparently Purolator. I don't think there was any way to tell from the box who made the filter.

You could also buy the Purolator PL30001, etc. filter, which was designed to work on the Ford engine but might or might not be the same filter as the FL-1A with different paint on the label.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
It was a troll post by Gordy. I apologize. He had a lot of people going.

IGordon66 said:
Folks, I have a confession to make.

You have all been expertly trolled.

I have to come by every couple of years and drop some BS on you to keep you on your toes. The "real" IGordon66 drives a 3 million mile Volvo and prefers Castrol GTX.

I'm not particularly impressed with the way Helen has decided to carry out the forum. You got rid of Frank and I see that Amsoil sponsorship is limited to Pablo now, ever since the late Gary Allan left us. But there's still something missing. In fact, the forum is dying. I would even go so far as to say it's moribund, man!

It's good to see some of you old timers on here. I'm surprised that no one has taken the impetus to start another oil forum.(Hint hint).

But back to Purolator, they're just as cruddy as they always were. I just wanted to point out how easily you folks are swayed by what one person claims to know. In my heyday Fram was garbage, and Purolator was the royale with cheese of oil filters. Now those titles have been swapped out. Why? Because a new crop of guys claim that Fram Ultra is the greatest thing since sliced bread? Those are the same guys that ran Royal Purple because they saw a bottle laying on the shelf in the background in one of the Fast and the Furious movies.

So my lesson was this: be skeptical of everything that is posted on this forum. By Molakule, by Terry Dyson (if he's still around) and by anyone even remotely connected to Scamsoil. Do your own research. This got me banned back in the Auto RX days, so I feel it's my duty to come around every few years and stir the ****.

See you in 2020! :USA:

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
There is a Fram rep on BITOG who regularly contributes. He is the one to argue with as he has and presents the facts.

The torn Purolator examples were set up in a spread sheet there were so many and now I believe Purolator has a rep there too. Most advanced aftermarket filters are advertised as long life of 15k mile change intervals. That is the easy way to get the best in the flavor you like.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Amsoil and RoyalPurple oil filters are synthetic media. Wix XP/Napa Platinum are too. Purolator Boss is another. Fram Ultra is just one of several. Bosch discontinued theirs.
Anyone remember when Fram sold the X2 Xtended Guard which is now called the XG Ultra? Or the Peak/Synlube/Splitfire Hard-Driver synthetic media oil filter(one of the early ones)? BTW, a Frantz with a roll of toiletpaper will out-filter any of the just mentioned filters. How much does a roll of TP cost?
Catalog
Basic Filter Kit - Frantz Filters Official Website
Oil Filters,Bypass Oil Filters,Bypass Oil Filter

I have a PH9688 on one of my cars right now. Thats the orange can that is often insulted. That PN is specifically designed for Hyundais because of the original startup/running knock that the earlier 3593a/14459 pn's from quicklubes/discount stores.... were famous and TSB'd over. I'm also a bit leery on blaming a filter that worked with dozens of different engines and manufacturers, but not a 'certain' automaker and not all engines. Where is the real problem?

BTW, BITOG has lost a ton of good members. Some have passed on. Others just don't bother with their "marketing" and arrogance, and some good members rarely make guest appearances anymore. Its been a long time since the original "theoildrop" forum, and the Noria forum doesn't have much traffic. Obviously, you won't see me paying for a forum/opinion by BuddyDudeAnalysis... And, you have to be careful when BITOG pushes nothing but a product from a sponsor or 'friend'. Must've been a decade ago when I started questioning their 'product' pushing only to have multiple posts deleted and disappeared. It was the end of the world if you tried something they pushed and you stated that it didn't work as advertised, and its even worse when you stated that something, purchased at the local store, worked for you, but was against their fad product pushing consensus. They attacked viciously or thread/post was poof/gone! Its funny to see them all get hyped up on a late April fools joke. It wouldn't be the 1st time and won't be the last time.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I was sent to BITOG to try AutoRX for my oil burning Saturn about 13 years ago. Lube Control was also recommended. Then Fuel Power after that, etc. The result is my Saturn starting burning more oil. :)

I tend to be a follower. I try to find knowledgeable people I can trust to guide me. I am not good with Technical data. It looks like there are people here that have discernment and knowledge. For that I am grateful.

·
Registered
57 Posts
A whole lotta lube

I've run in my previous cars a combination of Mobil 1 and Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer. I'm a big fan of Lucas products, especially their gas treatment and auto transmission additive.

I credit the tranny additive with helping my 1992 Maxima travel over 246,000 miles before 2nd gear started slipping. Also ran it in the slush boxes of my 1998 I30 for 183k and in my daughter's 1995 Integra for 192k of trouble-free driving.

However, with my Elantra, I'm going to hold off using it until it's time to flush the transmission fluid.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I credit the tranny additive with helping my 1992 Maxima travel over 246,000 miles before 2nd gear started slipping.
Not sure I'd credit additives (which Nissan always recommended against using) for getting 246,000 miles out of a VG30 Maxima. I sold a ton of 'em back in the day and they were like Volvos... just kept running and running and nobody ever traded them.

Now, show me a fleet of early-1990s Chrysler transmissions that averaged 246,000 miles using Lucas additives and I'll be convinced. :grin:

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Not sure I'd credit additives (which Nissan always recommended against using) for getting 246,000 miles out of a VG30 Maxima. I sold a ton of 'em back in the day and they were like Volvos... just kept running and running and nobody ever traded them.

Now, show me a fleet of early-1990s Chrysler transmissions that averaged 246,000 miles using Lucas additives and I'll be convinced. :grin:
My last car was a late 90s, 98 Cirrus, to be precise. 267k at trade in. No trans issues, except a soloniod pack replacement. Never put any additives in.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Oil change due this month so I went to Advance Auto to get a Mobil1 jug+filter combo for $29.99. They had a very limited inventory of M1 filters which is why they probably advertise the special. I ended up getting a Valvoline synthetic combo with Purolator Boss filter for the same price. The filter goes for $12-15 elsewhere so it seems like a good deal. I also apparently get a free JR motorsports hat as a mail in rebate.

edit: I checked out the Boss filter when I got home and it appears to be really well made. Its also made in USA!

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Ugh so I finally got around to changing my oil with the Boss filter and I’m not very happy. It was leaking after my evening oil change so I grabbed my endcap wrench to tighten a bit more (typically hand is fine) and the boss filter is smaller. I guess thats why its leaking. I checked and apparently I got the right part number so now my wife gets to drive me to Napa in the morning for whatever filter fits. Fortunately its only 5 mins away.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Fram XG9688 or TG9688 or PH9688.

I imagine you're sure you didn't leave the old filter gasket on when you installed the new filter (double gaskets?)
No gasket although that did get me once with this car. I ended up getting this filter from Napa and it's a perfect fit https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ATM2OHY001

It's made in Thailand but looked and felt identical to stock filter. They have a Mann and Hummel operation in Thailand so it may just be the same as stock. Thinking I will cut it open in the Spring when my next change is due.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Ugh so I finally got around to changing my oil with the Boss filter and I’m not very happy. It was leaking after my evening oil change so I grabbed my endcap wrench to tighten a bit more (typically hand is fine) and the boss filter is smaller. I guess thats why its leaking. I checked and apparently I got the right part number so now my wife gets to drive me to Napa in the morning for whatever filter fits. Fortunately its only 5 mins away.
My philosophy, if you want less headaches, go with OEM. This applies to many parts. You get better fit or less issues like you had. Introduce variables (aftermarket parts) and savings may be there, but performance may be less than desired.

That is one reason I use OEM filters. Another reason is to get Tiger-Heli all wound up, since he may get a kickback from Ebay when you buy the T-H Fram 6 pack. :grin2:

881 - 900 of 951 Posts