Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 941 Posts

·
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, folks. As requested, I have made a sticky for oil questions and information.

I will include links to some past threads about oil, but from here on out, feel free to post any questions and comments about oils right in this thread! B)

·
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
If anything deserve a sticky thread, it is the subject of oil changes.

I will start the ball rolling by saying that oil should be changed every 200 miles, using cold-pressed extra virgin synthetic olive oil extracted under a full moon by Viking monks. :D

Okay, seriously, read the manual. Follow the severe schedule if you drive severely or want to keep your car for 10 years. Otherwise save your money and follow the normal schedule. Use synthetic if you live in a cold climate and plan to keep your car 10 years. Otherwise save your money and use conventional oil. And don't be afraid to change it yourself. Just keep a maintenance log as well as receipts. You can use any oil filter you want, however Hyundai filters are reasonably priced and will avoid any blame games if there's ever an engine failure.

The floor is now open...

·
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha...extra virgin. I love it.

Just for old times' sake, I enjoy lying under my car and opening the pretend, invisible bolt and letting the pretend oil pour out.

Haha, yeah right, I never changed my own oil, even when my car did have it. If EV's fail and I go back to a gas car, I will want to learn how to do it again. My dad taught me when I was young, but once I got on my own, I didn't have the right equipment.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If anything deserve a sticky thread, it is the subject of oil changes.

I will start the ball rolling by saying that oil should be changed every 200 miles, using cold-pressed extra virgin synthetic olive oil extracted under a full moon by Viking monks. :D
OMG. I'm going to Costco RIGHT NOW to stock up on EVOO! I heard they have an inroads w/ the monks. Now I have to change my oil weekly! Aaaahhhh!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
so can we start about additives, HTHS, and how some dino oils have better film strength and flow capability @ low temperature than synthetic based oils???

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just use a new crush washer on the drain bolt to avoid the nagging drip.
Especially if the last person (dealership) who changed your oil put the drain bolt back in with a torque wrench set on nuclear. Just changed my oil and the only way I could get the old crush washer off was to pry it with a knife far enough so I could get needle nose pliers on the edge and unscrew it. It was completely mangled by the time I was done with it.

If there is a way for a relatively easy job to become difficult, it will find me.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
As far as oil additives go.

Remember that oil is a highly engineered product. Adding any kind of oil treatment is saying that you know better than the oil chemists and can improve on their product. Additives can throw the properties and chemistry of oil out of whack. If you want a better than average oil, get a quality synthetic for best protection.

Years of research go into a good oil. Leave the oil engineering to the professional.

·
Retired Staff
11,816 Posts
I agree, no oil additives are necessary especially when using a name brand oil that meets current specs. Never ever use a discount off brand oil from a dollar store or random gas station. Many of these oils are not up to spec and are only suitable for an emergency.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
As far as oil additives go.

Remember that oil is a highly engineered product. Adding any kind of oil treatment is saying that you know better than the oil chemists and can improve on their product. Additives can throw the properties and chemistry of oil out of whack. If you want a better than average oil, get a quality synthetic for best protection.

Years of research go into a good oil. Leave the oil engineering to the professional.
+1

Companies which sell French perfume for engines are not masters of oil technology. They are masters of separating young men from their money.

·
22,777 Posts
+1

Companies which sell French perfume for engines are not masters of oil technology. They are masters of separating young men from their money.
:trophy: "And the Common Sense Award (opening envelope) goes to (insert drum roll, here): DON67!" ;)

·
Retired Staff
11,816 Posts
Lol Don you old guys are more likely to buy oil additives than young guys because you have been doing it for years. Same deal with using thick oil like 10W-30, you old guys still want to use it even though the cap says 5W-20. ;) Unfortunately DIY auto maintenance and repair is becoming less common with my peers. Most people would rather pay somebody else to work while they do facebook or whatever.

Additives are not all snake oil though. Some additives like Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam will help to clean out sludge in a vehicle that was not cared for. Definitely not needed in a properly maintained vehicle though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have read that some owners of 2012 and the new 2013 models are complaining of burning oil. Some to the point where after 3-4k they are down more than a quart. Has anyone experienced this or heard of it? There is one customer review that actually said they took their elantra to the dealer and the dealer said "They do that and it's not uncommon"? Hmmm...:eek:

·
22,777 Posts
I have read that some owners of 2012 and the new 2013 models are complaining of burning oil. Some to the point where after 3-4k they are down more than a quart. Has anyone experienced this or heard of it? There is one customer review that actually said they took their elantra to the dealer and the dealer said "They do that and it's not uncommon"? Hmmm...:eek:
I call BS on that. Haven't heard it, seen it, experienced it, nor read it.

·
Retired Staff
11,816 Posts
Some random engines of all types do consume more oil than normal but its rare and often an indication of a problem. I have not heard any complaints of burning oil in this car. There is also sometimes a problem with a slow drip from an improperly installed filter or plug being confused as oil burning because the owner never got underneath. I have run the 7500 mile interval on synthetic still at the full mark at the end.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm almost at 5k miles on Amsoil XL 5W-20 and haven't burned a drop yet.

·
22,777 Posts
Although that Amzoil is a bit more on the pricing chart, you'll be hard-pressed to find any negative comments regarding its quality. An independent lab did an analysis of the various oils available on the market. Amzoil topped the charts. Must be something to it.

I'll stick with my Mobil1 synthetic 5w20. Wife has 4,500 miles on her Tucson since changing with Mobil1. It's so clean I have to look really look hard to verify that the level is on the "Full" mark. Either an extremely clean-burning engine or a great oil product. Possibly both.

1 - 20 of 941 Posts
About this Discussion
940 Replies
130 Participants
Bismarck318
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing