Hyundai Forums banner

1481 - 1500 of 1508 Posts

·
Retired Staff
11,816 Posts
Worst fuel economy I have seen yet was last weekend. I loaded up the car for a weekend trip with both mountain bikes on the roof fighting the wind there and back. Hwy speed was 70+ and I averaged 23.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Worst fuel economy I have seen yet was last weekend. I loaded up the car for a weekend trip with both mountain bikes on the roof fighting the wind there and back. Hwy speed was 70+ and I averaged 23.
If this becomes a daily occurrence, take it as a sign to move on from the Elantra to something else :wink:

·
22,777 Posts
Actually, sounds normal to this wind fighter. Oklahoma has its share of hefty winds. Once posted on here about having to do a quick on-call round trip to the OR. Winds were 30-40, gusting to 50. Drove 26 miles, wind at my back. MPG's were in the low 50's. Twenty minutes later, was returning home. Same route but heading into those winds. Avg. 28 mpg. No bikes, no passsngers, no hills. Same speed: 60-70, both directions.

So, your jaunt with bikes on top? Passengers? Mountain ranges? Sounds normal to me. Sounds like the ol' girl did really well. All things considered. Besides, hobbies can sometimes be expensive. :wink2:

Still might be too soon to trade for that new M6, sir. Just chalk it up to Spring fever, young man. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Has anyone figured exactly what the Eco button does? I figure it turns on the Eco indicator and the indicator means that the Eco button has been pushed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Has anyone figured exactly what the Eco button does? I figure it turns on the Eco indicator and the indicator means that the Eco button has been pushed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
On 2011 models the Eco light just tells you you're drive economically.

On 2012 and up models with the Active Eco system it stunts the throttle response and changes shift points to maximize economy. I hardly ever use it as there's no point try to get good mileage when you live at 750 feet and have to go up a hill to get home.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I filled up today, left the gas station heading mildly downhill, brought it to 60 and hit cruise control. My fuel mileage actually got down to 3.7L/100km briefly until the car levelled off and had to apply power. Then the avg began to go back up to a more normal 6L/100km. With our larger gallon this side of the border the conversion is 3.7 L/100km = 76.35mpg Cdn. I know it was strange circumstances and was only for a very short time but I did manage to get a shot for posterity's sake:) LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
My Elantra use to be my wife's. When she drove it, it would get 24-25 mostly city. I've had it for 2 full tank full and I've been about 28-29 with 50/50 driving. I don't baby it, but I don't hot rod it either. I don't use econ because all it does is cripple the gas pedal, doesn't really benefit any. I went for a drive on the highway today just to get out of the house, and all highway showed 42 mpg for a 40 mile stretch after I reset it to test it. I'm happy with my numbers.

·
Retired Staff
11,816 Posts
My Elantra use to be my wife's. When she drove it, it would get 24-25 mostly city. I've had it for 2 full tank full and I've been about 28-29 with 50/50 driving. I don't baby it, but I don't hot rod it either. I don't use econ because all it does is cripple the gas pedal, doesn't really benefit any. I went for a drive on the highway today just to get out of the house, and all highway showed 42 mpg for a 40 mile stretch after I reset it to test it. I'm happy with my numbers.

Yeah those numbers sound about right. With a little bit lighter foot you can easily break low to mid 30s with 50/50 driving.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah those numbers sound about right. With a little bit lighter foot you can easily break low to mid 30s with 50/50 driving.
I'm really not that worried about it. I'm not gonna concentrate that hard in order to save a few mpg. If I was that into the almighty mpg number, I would've gotten a Prius or something. :laugh:

·
Registered
57 Posts
View attachment 55261 Taken a couple of weeks ago... Over the course of six days, mostly highway miles obviously. But still, I'm happy with my mileage :p This is no fluke, either, as my display currently reads 44.2 mpg avg. after 1/2 tank of fuel. It's been around 40 avg. all summer for me! Admittedly though, my grandpa thinks I drive like a grandpa... haha

What is your mileage with the A/C running versus when it's off?

Also, what's your tire/wheel combo?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I drive like Sammy Hagar if he were to update his Jimmy Carter-era song, "I Can't Drive 55," to current 70mph limits.

I average 38mpg @ 80mph on boring highway stretches with A/C running. In town, with A/C running, I get 38mpg if I drive it like it was a Prius and 28mpg if I was circling the track at Daytona Motor Speedway. Since I live near the track, you can guess which style I prefer.

The only mod installed is a K&N air filter. I use Shell gas exclusively. The tires are 195/65 x 15 Firestone Champion Fuel Fighters (35psi) on heavy and ugly steel wheels (currently saving up for some lightweight rims down the road).

Seeing as how my last whip was a Nissan V-6 that never got more than 22mpg around town, I can't complain.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Now have 36,600 miles on my 2016 Limited and still only get about their claimed average so I stopped driving like grandma on Sunday and started just keeping the pace with others and I lose a mpg or two here and there because of it. The 17" rims and wide tires must really crush the mileage because what others are reporting with their smaller tires would be awesome. New Michelins going on in the next day or so and it will be interesting to see if they make the mileage even worse than I already get.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'll play along. :smile:

Here is my MPG during my first long trip this past weekend on this tank of gas. At 1/2 tank I was averaging about 39-40.

Hyundai says 38 highway. I'm not complaining. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I'll play along. :smile:

Here is my MPG during my first long trip this past weekend on this tank of gas. At 1/2 tank I was averaging about 39-40.

Hyundai says 38 highway. I'm not complaining. :grin2:
Probably more like 37-38, that always reads about 2-3mpg, high. Try hand calculating, and see what you, get. Still pretty good, though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Probably more like 37-38, that always reads about 2-3mpg, high. Try hand calculating, and see what you, get. Still pretty good, though.
Ah, but here's the rub: I didn't say that after that tank was empty, the MPG had gone to about 41.4 MPG.

I just didn't have the picture to prove it so I didn't post it. :wink:

This was of course with ECO on and a very light touch on the accelerator as well as driving the speed limit or below.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Ah, but here's the rub: I didn't say that after that tank was empty, the MPG had gone to about 41.4 MPG.

I just didn't have the picture to prove it so I didn't post it. :wink:

This was of course with ECO on and a very light touch on the accelerator as well as driving the speed limit or below.
If I fill up, and jump right on the highway, I can get the numbers, close to 50mpg! That will of course drop,through the week. I use an app to track, every fill up and my overall average, is close to 37mpg. Mostly highway miles, in light traffic.
2011 Elantra with 121,000 miles.

1481 - 1500 of 1508 Posts
About this Discussion
1.5K Replies
251 Participants
TIMSPEED
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing