Hyundai Forums banner

1461 - 1480 of 1508 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
I did not get a chance to see since she was on the driver seat but its around 40 mpg with the miles that we drove. There was still 1 bar on the fuel gauge she said when the light came on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Drove a 100 mile trip in my wife's 2011 Limited today. I used cruise control 90% of the time. Averaged over 36 mpg. I can approach 39 mpg if I do not use cruise control, but that's too much work lol. I have been impressed with this car, we have driven from Florida to Connecticut multiple times and it always does very well.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've only filled the tank twice so far since I bought my 2013 but have been getting very good numbers so far. I've also found that the trip computer has been quite accurate so far. At this moment, I'm quite a ways through my 3rd tank. My average speed since buying the car is 36 Kph (basically all city driving so far) I have been averaging 7.6 L/100km and 7.7 L/100km (37 mpg Imperial) on the first two tanks. This one, not quite as good. I've been driving somewhat more aggressively this tank, having some fun with this 6 spd manual now that I'm getting used to the car lol. Right now it shows 8.4 L/100km ( 34 mpg). I'm happy with that for city driving fuel economy since it was rated by Transport Canada at 7.8 city (36 mpg). So this tank I've dropped essentially 2 mpg but have had a whole lotta fun driving:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Keeps Getting Better...

OK, so I filled the tank up on my '13 Elantra just before a medium highway run. This finally gave me a chance to see what kind of real world Hwy mileage I am getting. I was actually running at 5.3 L/100km which calculates to 53.3 mpg (Cdn). Gotta Love It !!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a used 2013 Elantra GLS with 85000 km's about 3 months ago. Partly why I got it was due to the belief that gas mileage was acceptable after checking out this thread, although I found some estimates were across the board, I figured chances were I would not be stuck with a gas guzzler or anything which would really make me regret buying it. Anyways I have not read this entire thread, only skimmed through, however I must say that I believe one of this biggest determinants of gas mileage you can get with this car (or probably any car for that matter) is density of the traffic where you live. When I drive this car like a grandpa (no offence to any gramps!) with eco on on my way to work, I'm averaging about 9L/100 (about 31 mpg). That is the best I can hope for. Admittedly I live in the middle of a dense city (Toronto, Canada), and I'm sitting at at least 10 red lights on my 1 hour round trip drive to work every day. Some lights I'm sitting for more than 2 cycles. Nothing I can do about that, besides turn the car off while sitting to save mileage, but I imagine I'd develop other more serious problems rather than losing a few cents to gas mileage if I always did that.

So yeah, I just wanted to point out to anyone reading this forum that your mileage will depend on where you live (in addition to a variety of other things of course). When I drive to the cottage (mostly highway, although the highways I drive on our probably considered just as busy as an average city road to some here!) I can get 7 L/100 (33.6 mpg). I'm sure if I lived in some tiny town I could easily double my mileage. Without knowing the exact location and as well as the conditions that people are driving in, the numbers you find posted here are nothing more than a range of something you could hope to achieve given the same conditions of some random person on the internet.

·
Retired Staff
11,816 Posts
Only got 26mpg last weekend back and forth to camping. I did have a bike in the rack on the roof and was going around 75 on the highway. I still have no fuel economy complaints after all these years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So yeah, I just wanted to point out to anyone reading this forum that your mileage will depend on where you live (in addition to a variety of other things of course). When I drive to the cottage (mostly highway, although the highways I drive on our probably considered just as busy as an average city road to some here!) I can get 7 L/100 (33.6 mpg). I'm sure if I lived in some tiny town I could easily double my mileage. Without knowing the exact location and as well as the conditions that people are driving in, the numbers you find posted here are nothing more than a range of something you could hope to achieve given the same conditions of some random person on the internet.

7L/100Km driving to and around cottage country is nice. That actually equates to 40.35 mpg (Cdn). Even 9L/100Km (31mpg) in constant stop and go traffic in Toronto is very good. I may be dating myself but I remember not too long ago the car makers were all striving to get 30 mpg Hwy ratings for their cars. I feel your pain, driving in Toronto. I live less than an hour west in the Tri-Cities. Just had to drive to Bay St./Queens Quay on Sunday to pick my daughter up from SupernaturalCon. The driving downtown there was mental:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last 2 weeks, my Elantra Touring 2012 started having major fuel mileage issues. Used to get 29 mpg mixed driving. I'm a telework employee and drive during non rush hour for personal reasons. Out before 6 am and home before 6:30 am. Car sits all day.

Sometimes I could get 130 miles the first quarter tank of gas. Only had to fill my car up twice a month. Then..... it dropped to 22 or 23 mpg based on an online calculator. This weekend, I drove open road with no traffic (45-60 mph) before 7 am to avoid hitting breaks. I only got 95 miles before I blew through a quarter tank.

Somethings wrong and I don't play around with my cars. Going into dealer tomorrow morning.

My car is 4.5 years old, 43400 miles. Well maintained (oil change, tire rotations, emissions testing, etc). Only driver and it sits in my drive most times.

I'll see what they say. But I don't want this turning into a costly repair, so if it's $90 tomorrow better than $400 in 2 months. I'll post the mechanics diagnosis on here.

What I told mechanic in notes for my appointment: no pulling, tires at 31 psi resting, not running hot, idles well, no brake noise, no dashboard lights, and dates of my last oil change-tire rotation-fuel induction service-emission test-cabin air filter.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Last 2 weeks, my Elantra Touring 2012 started having major fuel mileage issues.
Then..... it dropped to 22 or 23 mpg based on an online calculator. This weekend, I drove open road with no traffic (45-60 mph) before 7 am to avoid hitting breaks. I only got 95 miles before I blew through a quarter tank.
Not sure what you mean by "based on an online calculator", but in these sorts of situations where you suspect a car's fuel mileage is dropping, the first thing you should be doing is keeping a good log of gas usage and mileage over a period of time and doing the calcs by hand. Ignore the gas gauge - it may simply have changed calibration.

Also, in long periods of driving, statistics say that there are likely to be periods where when nothing is wrong with the car but all the factors that contribute to mileage variance conspire in the wrong direction to produce spuriously low gas mileage - for example, headwinds, traffic, fuel pump shutoff, gas gauge variance, etc.

There is certainly a good possibility the car has a problem, but if you're worried about needless service (especially with dealers who like to charge $100 to tell you they couldn't find a problem), I'd let things slide for a month or two, take some good long-term gas mileage data, and see if the problem is just normal noise, getting better, or worsening. And if there is a problem, it may stop being elusive and manifest itself overtly through a CEL or something equally obvious which will reduce the cost of diagnostics/guessing. And it's not very likely you'll fix a problem today that will become more expensive tomorrow - all you have to lose by relaxing and seeing how it goes for a couple months is a little extra gas expense.

Good luck.

- Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my 13' E last October with 15k on. Now it's up to 34k and even though I haven't changed my driving style and am driving more cautiously as I started noticing my poor mileage (I actually drive more on the highway now--80% highway driving and 20% local), my MPG steadily dropped from 38 to now 33-35. I know this may not sound bad, but my range seems rather ridiculously bad.

When I fill my gas in, I completely fill it in, and my range comes up as 400 miles. By the time I need to refill (around 3 bars left), I've only driven about 230-260 miles. I live in a cold climate and all, but is this normal? I don't even crank up my heat!! I used to be able to get at least 320 miles only couple months ago. I have been noticing some rear brake noise, which I suspect could be a problem. I also had my engine light come up in Aug, which the dealer thought was a faulty alarm and cleared, and hasn't come up since. Anyone experienced a similar situation?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I bought my 13' E last October with 15k on. Now it's up to 34k and even though I haven't changed my driving style and am driving more cautiously as I started noticing my poor mileage (I actually drive more on the highway now--80% highway driving and 20% local), my MPG steadily dropped from 38 to now 33-35. I know this may not sound bad, but my range seems rather ridiculously bad.

When I fill my gas in, I completely fill it in, and my range comes up as 400 miles. By the time I need to refill (around 3 bars left), I've only driven about 230-260 miles. I live in a cold climate and all, but is this normal? I don't even crank up my heat!! I used to be able to get at least 320 miles only couple months ago. I have been noticing some rear brake noise, which I suspect could be a problem. I also had my engine light come up in Aug, which the dealer thought was a faulty alarm and cleared, and hasn't come up since. Anyone experienced a similar situation?
Have your rear brakes checked. They could be stuck. It's happened to a lot of members. Are you noticing excessive brake dust on your rear wheels?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last 2 weeks, my Elantra Touring 2012 started having major fuel mileage issues. Used to get 29 mpg mixed driving. I'm a telework employee and drive during non rush hour for personal reasons. Out before 6 am and home before 6:30 am. Car sits all day.

Sometimes I could get 130 miles the first quarter tank of gas. Only had to fill my car up twice a month. Then..... it dropped to 22 or 23 mpg based on an online calculator. This weekend, I drove open road with no traffic (45-60 mph) before 7 am to avoid hitting breaks. I only got 95 miles before I blew through a quarter tank.

Somethings wrong and I don't play around with my cars. Going into dealer tomorrow morning.

My car is 4.5 years old, 43400 miles. Well maintained (oil change, tire rotations, emissions testing, etc). Only driver and it sits in my drive most times.

I'll see what they say. But I don't want this turning into a costly repair, so if it's $90 tomorrow better than $400 in 2 months. I'll post the mechanics diagnosis on here.

What I told mechanic in notes for my appointment: no pulling, tires at 31 psi resting, not running hot, idles well, no brake noise, no dashboard lights, and dates of my last oil change-tire rotation-fuel induction service-emission test-cabin air filter.
FOLLOW UP:

I don't need another fuel injection service as I've been told I had 2 done: one at 22,000 and another at 30,000. Mechanic said don't worry about it until 60,000. He looked over my services and said my car is up to date on everything. The following was done and recommended until my 45,000 service which will be oil/filter and multi point inspection.

1) he put in an entire bottle of Hyundai brand fuel additive (looked like a Techron bottle)
2) told me to stop using low end - no name brand regular gas stations (which I do)
3) told me to drive current tank to empty and fill up with high octane gas from BP or Exxon
4) after emptying tank a second time, fill up with mid range gas from BP or Exxon
5) keep using mid range gas from BP or Exxon until 45,000 service
6) told me to track fuel mileage with online site like fuelly to discuss at 45,000 service

How much did I pay: $12

note: I'm a woman and I just don't want to worry about my car so for piece of mind, I will pay money to have a trained person fiddle with my car and give me advice. My father's advice to me was always. "don't buy a car you can't keep on the road". I can afford to drop in on my mechanic if I'm worried and I do.

I'm happy with my morning service at the dealer :laugh:

·
Retired Staff
11,816 Posts
FOLLOW UP:

I don't need another fuel injection service as I've been told I had 2 done: one at 22,000 and another at 30,000. Mechanic said don't worry about it until 60,000. He looked over my services and said my car is up to date on everything. The following was done and recommended until my 45,000 service which will be oil/filter and multi point inspection.

1) he put in an entire bottle of Hyundai brand fuel additive (looked like a Techron bottle)

2) told me to stop using low end - no name brand regular gas stations (which I do)

3) told me to drive current tank to empty and fill up with high octane gas from BP or Exxon

4) after emptying tank a second time, fill up with mid range gas from BP or Exxon

5) keep using mid range gas from BP or Exxon until 45,000 service

6) told me to track fuel mileage with online site like fuelly to discuss at 45,000 service

How much did I pay: $12

note: I'm a woman and I just don't want to worry about my car so for piece of mind, I will pay money to have a trained person fiddle with my car and give me advice. My father's advice to me was always. "don't buy a car you can't keep on the road". I can afford to drop in on my mechanic if I'm worried and I do.

I'm happy with my morning service at the dealer :laugh:

Yes the Hyundai fuel additive is relabeled Techron concentrate. Gas brands vary by location (and nearby refineries) but it's always best to use new high volume stations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wife has been driving about 32 miles a day 80/20 highway/city and is constantly averaging 40.3 - 40.6 so she it thrilled after the 12.5 - 16 our Range Rover was getting. She drives normal but keeps the Eco button on all the time. If I drive it for a day with 80/20 city/highway it drops to 38 ish but I am harder on the pedal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This car is friggin weird. Since getting it, my first three tankfulls of fuel have averaged terribly. I think my first tank averaged 29MPG combined and my second tank got 32-33 combined, while the third did about the same as the second. I got the car at 37,900 miles, and on the first fill up I used ARCO gas. Read on here to only use the top tier stations so I obliged and used Shell the second time. Little to no improvement on economy - the higher average is in direct result of less time in traffic during that tank. So after tank #2 I decided to do a fuel cleaner additive like the owner manual says, and many of you have said you use them. I opted to buy Techron because that seems to be the one most people use, and apparently Hyundai relabels it and calls it their own. So.... tank #3, same exact fuel consumption as tank #2 in same conditions. Mind you, I had ECO activated this whole time. Now tank #4???? I filled up at a Mobil station which was the only station near me (I used up every drop of fuel I can before refilling for the additive to completely work through). The 4th tank, NO ECO MODE

Apparently, my Elantra REALLY likes Mobil gas. My economy started off sky high, dwindled to low 40's, and eased up at 36 and from there it just climbed. Wtf? I usually drive between 60-68 MPH but tend to stay at 65. I may have found a "sweet spot", which I have attached, because when I kept the car at this pace my MPG gauge just kept climbing. I hit 39MPG at one point before getting on a road with many ups and downs (hills). But this gauge normally read between 29-33 and now all of a sudden I've driven almost 200 miles and only lost a few bars of fuel. Maybe the additive cleaned up someshit I have no idea. Or maybe my car loves Mobil gas. All I know is that it's way better than it's been the last 3 fillups

Attachments

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Over the weekend, took the Elantra on it's first real road trip. We normally take the Tucson or the previous Mazda. But since I didn't have to take much on this trip, took the car instead. Left Atlanta Friday afternoon heading to Pigeon Forge TN, had maybe 10 miles on a full tank and hit the road. When we hit Knoxville, the dash was reading 38 (Sport is rated @ 34). But hit some traffic and that dropped down to 35 by the time we got to the hotel. Had an emergency and ended up having to leave the next day to head to Warner Robins GA, but a detour to the house because the kid now has the flu... and didn't want to take her with me. (long story as to why I had to make this trip). By the time we got back into GA I needed gas and decided to do a hand calculation on this next tank as I wanted to see just how accurate the dash reading was going to compare to actual MPG. Filled up, reset trip odo 1 and headed out. Yesterday I came back home and when I stopped for gas I had 2 pips on the gauge and the dash reading 60 miles to empty with 381 miles traveled. Put 10.6 gallons (13.2 tank) in and that makes 35.9 mpg, and the dash also read 35.9 mpg. With that, I can say this car will get 450+ miles on a tank if I needed it to. This was all running an average of 75 interstate with E10 87 octane from Shell.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
This warm snap, here in Chicago, has done wonders for my mileage. I've been averaging 35-36mpg all winter. This past week ,temps have been in the 50's and 60's!! I filled up last night, and hand calculated just over 40mpg! Average speed 48mph.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Although the MPG readout on the dash, has never been very accurate, it was Way off on my last fillup. The dash read, 40.8 actual was 35.2!?!?

·
Retired Staff
11,816 Posts
Although the MPG readout on the dash, has never been very accurate, it was Way off on my last fillup. The dash read, 40.8 actual was 35.2!?!?

Yeah that is a big discrepancy, I wonder if the pump clicked off before completely full. If the first bar dropped off pretty quickly thats probably it

1461 - 1480 of 1508 Posts
About this Discussion
1.5K Replies
251 Participants
TIMSPEED
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing