Hyundai Forums banner

241 - 260 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clarion XC1410 installed

I was able to install the Clarion XC1410 this past weekend in the dash behind the head unit. Thanks to kevjeff420 for the detailed instructions. The toughest part for me was getting the amp in between the wiring harness and the plastic wall behind the head unit far enough down so the head unit would have enough room to go back in. the sound is so much better now. Speakers are the next project!

·
Registered
844 Posts
^ @tomster3 .... glad it worked out for you. It was my car kevjeff420 did that Tech head unit install on.... I also am very satisfied with the sound and volume difference. No plans to upgrade the speakers though.... the stock ones are fine for me.

·
Registered
252 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Voice Recognition Use with Radio Off?

Just leased a 2016 Elantra GT and really like it. The User/Quick Reference Manual is very big and lacks some details.

I have read many of the postings in this thread and assume that even with the new 2016 GT, you cannot use Voice Recognition without first turning your Radio on.
I have researched this with my dealer, 800 Bluetooth nr, etc. Is there any way to override this?
All my other cars have allowed me to use VR without a radio being on.
Thank you for your time and response in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
USB Port

I have a 2014 Elantra GT with Navigation and the USB port does not charge the Iphone. The dealer advise that you will need to buy at extra piece for an extra fee to charge the phone. I have 2 other maker of vehicle ( 2011 and 2012) and they both charge my I phones with no problems. Very poor designed.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Even if it did charge phones, it would do so very slowly. You're better off with the chargers that plug into the accessory (cigarette lighter) port and put out more amps.

·
22,785 Posts
It's all about the wattage. I purchased two, Anker brand. One for house, one for car. Unlike the little square iPhone factory charger with "about" 5.1 watts output, these guys crank out 24 watts. I can charge my 6s+ from 1% to 100% in 2 hours, or less. The factory charger that came with the phone takes about 3-3.5 hours.

If you're an iPhone and iPad user/owner, use your iPad charger for your iPhone. It's safe, it's approved, and it has about 12 watts output.

Research it, ask around, it's accurate info. Check for yourself. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
upgrading the stock radio on a 2014 GT

We just bought a used 2014 and want to upgrade the radio. A local installer quoted $1600 for an Alpine and all needed wires, which was ridicules.

Another installer said to buy one of the Hong Kong nav radios from E bay, it comes with all wires and he would charge $100-150 to install.

I want to know if I can get a Hyundai Nav radio out of a wreck and install it. Are all the wires and plugs the same?

Hyundai call center would not answer this question.

Any suggestions? We don't need killer sound and tons of features, just want to be able to see the stations, the blue screen is difficult to see for us.

·
Registered
844 Posts
We just bought a used 2014 and want to upgrade the radio. A local installer quoted $1600 for an Alpine and all needed wires, which was ridicules.

I want to know if I can get a Hyundai Nav radio out of a wreck and install it. Are all the wires and plugs the same?

Any suggestions? We don't need killer sound and tons of features, just want to be able to see the stations, the blue screen is difficult to see for us.
For the OEM Nav switch, use the search function for the forum... this has been done before and there is more than one thread discussing it.
here is one... with some instructions...
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/gd-2013-present-elantra-gt/409314-navigation-radio-replacing-base-radio.html

with the OEM Nav radio head unit, the screens are still blue but larger. The back-up camera will not work of course (unless you install one). but as I recall, the plugs all fit and it connected up okay. Read the forum threads on how they fit.

IMO... the better upgrade for sound is to install an aux Amp like the Clarion XC1410 model (see my signature and Link below)... boosts the volume and noticeably better sound quality even with stock speakers.
Installs in the dash behind the existing radio... and draw power from the fuse block at your left knee area... with a inline or tap fuse. Lots of deals online for this amp last I looked... in the $80 to $120 range (US)
Install is not terrible difficult for a DIY guy... a few hours. Just needs some time splicing speaker wires...solder and shrink tube. Or a professional install if your not comfortable DIY.
Clarion Amp

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thinking about upgrading the Stock Nav unit to the latest v10 software. My Map version is pretty low 4.7.something and I've found the voice recognition is pretty bad. Was this improved in any of the latest software updates?

·
Registered
11 Posts
IMO... the better upgrade for sound is to install an aux Amp like the Clarion XC1410 model (see my signature and Link below)... boosts the volume and noticeably better sound quality even with stock speakers.
Installs in the dash behind the existing radio... and draw power from the fuse block at your left knee area... with a inline or tap fuse. Lots of deals online for this amp last I looked... in the $80 to $120 range (US)
Install is not terrible difficult for a DIY guy... a few hours. Just needs some time splicing speaker wires...solder and shrink tube. Or a professional install if your not comfortable DIY.
Clarion Amp
How does the XC1410 fit behind the headunit with the nav system? I think I read that one bloke got it behind his but has anyone else tried? I'd need to import one from the US so I kind of want to make sure it works before I actually buy it.

Also, has anyone installed an underseat subwoofer with one of these? What'd the process for that be?

·
Registered
844 Posts
How does the XC1410 fit behind the headunit with the nav system? I think I read that one bloke got it behind his but has anyone else tried? I'd need to import one from the US so I kind of want to make sure it works before I actually buy it.

Also, has anyone installed an underseat subwoofer with one of these? What'd the process for that be?
I have the Nav system and that amp... when you pull out the head unit, there is enough room right below the head unit area to fit that amp. No space issue in my install.Not behind, below. Didn't even anchor it down... just tucked it in.

I am in Canada, bought the amp at a local electronics store in Hamilton.... cost was $180 CDN and local warranty. They take orders online and ship. East Hamilton Radio
Note, it now called a XC1420... but the dimensions and specs look to be the same.

Can't answer the sub woofer question, however I thought in this thread somewhere a good while back, someone posted the wiring schematic for that amp. Should show how a sub woofer can be added. Since the amp is basically spliced into the wiring system using the head unit as a preamp.. I would think wiring in a subwoofer would be the same as any install with or without the amp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the Nav system and that amp... when you pull out the head unit, there is enough room right below the head unit area to fit that amp. No space issue in my install.Not behind, below. Didn't even anchor it down... just tucked it in.
Thanks mate. I've decided to now just install it in the boot somewhere, hoping to get it into the rear quarter panel area. I may just buy a normal amp but a small one similar to the Kenwood X301-4.

Also, a great read on how to install the wires into the engine bay avoiding the firewall can be read here (external link - sorry guys!). I don't think this has been posted on here, but it's dead useful for right hand drive cars.

Basically you take your front left tire off, unscrew the mud flaps near the door and there is a small gromet there. Feed your cable from the engine bay on the right hand side down and through to that gromet. On the inside of the car take off the kick panel I think it's called, and then you see a whole bunch of electrical wires. Unplug them all and remove that box. Was a pain in the ass to take out, and then you can access your electrical lead easily.

For a first timer it was quite simple and took me about 2-2.5 hours (I'm not exactly Einstein when it comes to taking cars apart).

·
Registered
844 Posts
I used a "Piggy Blade Holder Add a Circuit" power tap to the in-dash fuse panel to power my amp.... worked like a charm. Had initial concerns about the wire size, but the power cable was short to the head unit (<3') and a 10 Amp fuse handled the current.... after 2 years... no issues.
saved a lot of hassle running thru the fire wall.

for a hatch area Amp install, would not recommend these.

I read somewhere that poking a wire thru into the engine bay at the hood cable release grommet location was possible.... I never looked into it.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you mean you wouldn't recommend the xc1420? I was looking at installing the Kenwood X301-4, I'm just looking for some extra sound and a bit more bass.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Do you mean you wouldn't recommend the xc1420? I was looking at installing the Kenwood X301-4, I'm just looking for some extra sound and a bit more bass.
I very much like my XC1410.... but it looks like it is not offered at the site/store I bought it. The XC1420 is newer model, is the same size, same specs, looks the same... so probably a upgraded version of the XC1410. I think it would be as good, if not better.
Not sure what made you think I didn't like what I was trying to reference and recommend.

Clarion XC1410 gave me much more volume, much more improved/ cleaner sound from stock speakers... all across the sound range. When I have the sound turned up to 17 on the volume... and outside washing the car/ windows closed.... I can hear the door panels buzzing from the bass (I guess which song has something to do with it too). I don't have the bass set at 100% either.
The volume will go to about 35..... level 10 is rockin' comfortable in the car, 20 is plenty loud. 6 is normal setting when my wife and grandson is in the car.
I used my iPod as my primary music source.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I very much like my XC1410.... but it looks like it is not offered at the site/store I bought it. The XC1420 is newer model, is the same size, same specs, looks the same... so probably a upgraded version of the XC1410. I think it would be as good, if not better.
Not sure what made you think I didn't like what I was trying to reference and recommend.

Clarion XC1410 gave me much more volume, much more improved/ cleaner sound from stock speakers... all across the sound range. When I have the sound turned up to 17 on the volume... and outside washing the car/ windows closed.... I can hear the door panels buzzing from the bass (I guess which song has something to do with it too). I don't have the bass set at 100% either.
The volume will go to about 35..... level 10 is rockin' comfortable in the car, 20 is plenty loud. 6 is normal setting when my wife and grandson is in the car.
I used my iPod as my primary music source.
Oh right, I get what you mean now. You meant that you wouldn't install the XC1420 in the trunk.
Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I can figure out if I can remove the left rear quarter panel carpeted part. Lets hope it isn't going to drizzle on me.

·
Registered
844 Posts
ya, my install is in the dash.... under the head unit (because it fit with the Nav unit)... not rigidly mounted, all speaker wires are spliced in neatly with solder and heat shrink tube - no extensions needed).
The Amp unit power source came from the dashboard fuse block, using normal 14ga wire and a piggy back fuse holder (I pictured) with a 10 amp fuse on a ignition switched circuit. That way the power cable is short (<~3') and heavier gauge wire is not needed, nor was a penetration of the firewall needed.
My understanding is longer wire runs need heavier wire gauge.
The stock head unit acts as a preamp to the amp.

That's what my install is like. Physically/ dimensionally larger amps might need other locations... I was considering under the passenger seat too if it didn't fit hidden in the dash.

how did your install go?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh simple! My install didn't go that good, blew the amp (no idea how). It was all wired up properly and it sounded crap, then we took it out and checked the power because the light stayed on for next to no time and then tried reinstalling again and then it went bang. Oh well, time to get a professional to do it for me! Should be a simple job for them.

241 - 260 of 271 Posts