Hyundai Forums banner

221 - 240 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Did you get the amp installed last weekend? I am just curious as to the results. I am dying to do the rear speakers. I think it will be in the spring.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Did you get the amp installed last weekend? I am just curious as to the results. I am dying to do the rear speakers. I think it will be in the spring.
Sadly, almost. I had everything pulled out of the dash, connected and working. But, the front left channel of the amp was busted - it would just emit a repetitive click from that speaker. I thought maybe it was my harness, but it seemed to do it whether there was any input to the amp or not. So, another amp is on the way and will be here tomorrow. Hopefully that'll do the trick. But, while the amp was connected for a brief minute or three, the working speakers sounded pretty nice! Definitely noticed an immediate increase in bass response that I'm sure will be finer tuned once I hook it up correctly and permanently. We shall see!

kevjef, while I have your attention, where did you mount/put your amp behind the radio? I started to look and shove it places, but then when I discovered the amp was no good I got frustrated and just put everything back together.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It was a bitch to get it in, I had to keep trying, moving wires out of the way, your new wire harness might hinder the space you have. I mounted it horizontally on it's side, so I could see the top of the amp from the space before the head unit went in. Compare the dimensions of the amp you got verses mine, I think yours is slightly smaller (or bigger) I can remember. If it is bigger you will have problems for sure. If it is smaller it will fit with some TLC.

Keep me posted. I like to know that I inspired others. I just love tinkering with my cars. My wife hates it, cause I always have some project that I am working on. Like my custom wireless charging magnetic cell phone mount, or my HIDs, or my LED interior lights, or my custom flip key fob, or my new speakers, my amp, my plastidipping, my independent fog light mod, my delete DRL mod. The list never ends. I have the next 10 mods already planned out in my mind.

With my Tiburon it was the same thing until the day that I sold it.

She asks why I can't just drive it the way it is? Why is it never good enough the way it is?

Her 2010 Mazda 3 has projectors like the GT and I wanted to give her 6000K HIDs and she wouldn't lit me do it. She said, "my car is fine the way it is".

·
Registered
252 Posts
Man, kev, I don't know how you got your amp behind the radio. I tried on two different days to get it in the space behind the Nav. It just would not fit in a way that allowed the radio to go back in. So I'm still not amp'd. I was thinking I might try to put it in the glove box, but I'll have to extend my wires a little bit for it to reach over there. Good news is, the replacement amp I got works properly. So that made me happy.

I'll get it in there eventually.

·
Registered
681 Posts
the dimensions for my amp are 8-1/4"W x 1-9/16"H x 2-3/4"D

the dimensions for your amp are : 7-7/8"W x 1-1/2"H x 2-9/16"D

so technically your amp is smaller and hence should fit. I do not have the Nav unit, I have the stock non-nav stereo, but they should most probably be both made with a double din format, so the dimensions behind should be the exact same.

With that said, I did not use an additional wire harness and that has definitely added some bulk to your install. I didn't take any photos of how I put mine in but I can tell you that it was not easy to get it to fit. So add 1/2" of cable bulk and I do not think I could have done it.

If you put it in you glove box you will loose storage space but gain access to the unit. I think once you set it up the way you want, you will probably never adjust any of the controls.

With that said you could mount it is the kick panel under the steering wheel. There is space there as I have been in that area doing another modification to my car. Just above the air bag under the steering column you could do a nice install. If you want info on how to gain access to that area check my thread on Independent Fog Light Control Mod, I put detailed instructions on how to open up that area. You would be able to run all the wires from the back of the head unit into that area to do a clean install. Or you may be able to hide it behind the glove box when it is removed to gain access to the cabin air filter. I am not sure but there may be enough space there.

Good luck and sorry your install did not go smoothly.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think it is the extra wiring back there that prevented me from fitting it - both mine and the factory. It almost fit one way, but the head unit wouldn't go back in all the way. There was a THICK wiring harness that the radio one comes off of that was really in the way, it's attached to the thick metal cross-member (I think that's what it is) and I couldn't get it to detach. But as you said, even if I had gotten the amp in there, I'm not confident all those extra wires would fit too. So, I think putting it in another location would be best. Glovebox seemed easiest to me at first, but I will look into the above the airbag location you mentioned. I looked in there quickly yesterday, but it didn't seem obvious to me where the amp could go. So I'll look at your pics and open it up again next weekend. Hopefully, that'll be it. Either way, I'm fairly confident I'll have to extend my input wires for the amp. They were pretty short on the included harness. I think I've got some extra wire from another project I could use.

I will update, hopefully for the last time, when I got at it again. Thanks again, kev, for all your help thus far.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think it is the extra wiring back there that prevented me from fitting it - both mine and the factory. It almost fit one way, but the head unit wouldn't go back in all the way. There was a THICK wiring harness that the radio one comes off of that was really in the way, it's attached to the thick metal cross-member (I think that's what it is) and I couldn't get it to detach. But as you said, even if I had gotten the amp in there, I'm not confident all those extra wires would fit too. So, I think putting it in another location would be best. Glovebox seemed easiest to me at first, but I will look into the above the airbag location you mentioned. I looked in there quickly yesterday, but it didn't seem obvious to me where the amp could go. So I'll look at your pics and open it up again next weekend. Hopefully, that'll be it. Either way, I'm fairly confident I'll have to extend my input wires for the amp. They were pretty short on the included harness. I think I've got some extra wire from another project I could use.

I will update, hopefully for the last time, when I got at it again. Thanks again, kev, for all your help thus far.
???

Any updates. I keep wondering if you got it going yet.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not yet. I've been waiting for a day where it's not so cold out and there's nothing else on the honey-do list. I don't have a place to do it indoors, so I'm really reliant on the weather. But, I must say that with the windows closed all the time, the new speakers sound pretty **** good on the stock amp! lol. I'll get to it, I promise. And I'll update the thread as soon as I do! Sorry to keep you hangin'!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there a wiring diagram which shows what the different wires that come out of the head plug go to? Once cut, are the wires long enough to use with the Clarion wires, or do you need to add some additional wire to make them long enough?

·
Registered
681 Posts
The clarion comes with long wires. If you have the nav HU then you might have to relocate the amp to the drivers kick panel about the knee airbag. Then you would have to add additional wires. I think there is a wire diagram posted in the is thread.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Is there a wiring diagram which shows what the different wires that come out of the head plug go to? Once cut, are the wires long enough to use with the Clarion wires, or do you need to add some additional wire to make them long enough?
i have the wiring diagram for the 2013 elantra GT if you want it. Shoot me a pm and i will email it to you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I reattached with some aviation screws that i grabbed from work. The inner door panel (what you see after you remove the main door panel) is plastic and the speaker cover is riveted to that so any screw that is large enough diameter to fill the hole after you remove rivets should work.
What p/n screws you used....i might be able to grab the same ones hihi :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
What p/n screws you used....i might be able to grab the same ones hihi :)
I am not sure but any screw should work. I am not an AME, I do NDT on aircraft so I just went into the shop and grabbed what looked good. They were aluminum if I remember and around 3/16" dia.

@patchrick did you ever get your amp installed yet. Anyone else manage to fit an amp like the Clarion XC1410 behind their Navigation head unit. It does fit behind the non-nav unit because I have done this, but I am told on the nav unit there is not enough room.

I will be installing the Compass Nav unit very soon, and because during the installation the original head unit gets moved back deeper into the dash, I am pretty sure it will no longer fit there, @GunnyDP had this problem. So what I am planning on doing to make this work is mount the amp above the knee airbag under the steering wheel. Once that kick panel is removed there is lots of room to install it there. All the speaker wires will probably have to be lengthened to make it work. I will be posting photos afterwards for others to see how I made it happen.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not yet, I suck. Every weekend that we've had nice weather has been SO busy for me! If you get to yours first, I look forward to seeing your pictures in order to get an idea of how to mount it over the airbag.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I get my compass nav in about 1 month. I will post pics for sure.

·
Registered
681 Posts
anyone else out there interested in saving on a Compass Nav system, check the thread link in my signature.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I just want to confirm that the Clarion XC1410 does fit behind / under the stock Nav system. I today installed one in @warpdriv car and aside from a few hiccups it does fit in the area in the back and under the head unit.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Here is my Compass Nav. I have been waiting for this for over a year. Too bad I can't install it until the week after next.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey y'all, new around here and tried searching but came up short. I just got the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge last Friday to replace my iPhone 6+. This week I noticed my Edge is not auto-connecting to bluetooth. Does anyone else have this issue? When I looked at Hyundai's compatibility website, it does not show the Edge as tested; however, it does show the S6 and S6 Active as tested, both of which have the same bluetooth software.

I haven't had my car into Hyundai for maintenance in well over a year (I've been getting it done by a private shop), so I do not know if there have been any software upgrades I've missed out on. Does anyone have any info/experience with this issue?

221 - 240 of 270 Posts