Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who don't know, the Elantra GT uses an entirely different head unit and audio system than the Elantra Coupe and Sedan. I figured that because of this, it would make sense for the GT to have it's own audio thread as there may be other differences that are not yet known.

On the surface, there are a few major differences between the standard (non-nav) head unit between the GT and Coupe/Sedan (C/S)

Differences that the GT has:

Voice command ("USB" "BLUETOOTH AUDIO" "NEXT SONG" Etc.) The C/S only can use the voice command for the phone functions

FM RDS display (According to the manual)

Eco Coach

Tweeter location (Sedan and Coupe have tweeter mounted in the middle of the front door. The GT's tweeter is located up by the side mirrors.

It has also been noted that the GT's sound system sounds better than the Sedan version. Time will tell, but this may be due to a different amp being used.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I am enjoying the sound of my GT...i think the amp is fine...but would consider a drop in tweeter replacement...and possibly replacing the rear speakers to get a little mor sizzle up front and a little more bass punch from the rear fill.

thanks for starting this thread!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the post - I've been trying to figure out what I might want to look into in terms of improvements.

Of note, I was thinking of installing the compact sub like silvergls has recommended in his guide - but am not sure yet if the under-seat area is the same size as the sedan.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the GT with non-Nav audio. I think it sounds real good for a base factory system. Issue I am having- Phone downloads when start car and with radio off incoming calls ring and can talk but voice commands and Bluetooth for dialing out won't work unless the radio is turned on. Anyone else experience this? Is there some setting I need to change? Can't find anything in the book and dealer is not close by. Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bluetooth dialing out works when the headunit it off.

Replaced my right rear speaker tonight. Pretty much the same procedure as the sedan. Speaker mounts are riveted in. It's a night and day difference between the two (rear right is the Polk DB651, rear left is stock). Even listening to a basic Katy Perry song (whatever was on the radio) out of the polk, you can hear things that just aren't audiable on the stock paper crap.

The magnet is also the size of a "C" cell battery at an 1.25" across. The polk's magnet is 4" across.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Bluetooth dialing out works when the headunit it off.
I can't get any of the steering wheel buttons to work unless the head unit is turned on. (Non-nav GT.)

Just picked up the car and found it remarkable easy to pair up three different phones (two of which are ancient models) and get the whole thing working. The voice recognition is impressive.

- Mark

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread! I'm loving my GT, but I have a question regarding Bluetooth audio streaming.

When listening to music streamed via Bluetooth (MP3, or Pandora, etc), the song information is not displayed. It just simply shows streaming from iPhone. Is there a way either on the phone or the car to have this information transferred to the nav screen?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well this is weird. I pushed the "voice" button on the steering wheel and get the error message "Please update IVR database with revision 41xxxx" on the headunit.

·
Registered
537 Posts
door panels removed

These may be similar or for all i know exactly the same as the elantra sedan or coupe. But i took my door panels to my GT off this morning to think about what i wanted to replace the speakers with.

Good news...the tweeter panel and door panels come off super easy. Tweet pod, just catch the back side closest to the window frame with something to lift it up a little, then you can just pull it off with your finger.

Door panel...just remove the one screw behind the handle latch..and there is a little pad to pull up that hides a second screw. Its right where you grab the door to close it. and then release all the clips...and the door lifts off. Unclip one wire harness and you are free. Should be easy for anyone to do.

Bad news...speaker is riveted on.:mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
Those are pop rivets. Trivial to drill out.

- Mark

True...but i was hoping for screws.

I did a little critical listening, and to be honest...the mid is fine...doubtful that i would find much of an improvement without going to a full amped system.

So i am going to replace the tweeter with something like this:
Madisound Speaker Store

and lower the crossover point from the factory 9k, down to about 5k, and put a shallow LP filter on the factory mid. Right now its running full range.

This should get me a little more sizzle, and thats all i really want right now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
True...but i was hoping for screws.

I did a little critical listening, and to be honest...the mid is fine...doubtful that i would find much of an improvement without going to a full amped system.

So i am going to replace the tweeter with something like this:
Madisound Speaker Store

and lower the crossover point from the factory 9k, down to about 5k, and put a shallow LP filter on the factory mid. Right now its running full range.

This should get me a little more sizzle, and thats all i really want right now.
I don't know man, the Polk's I got keep sounding better and better every day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dash Head Unit Panel Question

I asked this on one of the older threads and never got a reply so I'll try on this one....

Although it certainly looks like it to me, can anyone confirm definitely if the dash panel the stereo fits in on the 2013 Elantra is identical to the 2010 - 2011 year car? I am hoping to upgrade the dash to a standard double-din opening to fit an Alpine double-din head unit in using this after market part from JY Custom.

JY Custom HAVMD-50 All In One Kit

And out of curiosity, has anyone wired a non-Elantra stock unit such as a Alpine or Pioneer head unit for full functionality with the steering wheel controls?:

My dash on the 2013 Elantra:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my red Elantra GT GLS yesterday. I am absolutely in love for it so far! My only problem/question is this: when I use the "audio over Bluetooth" option with my iphone 4s for music, the sound quality is way, way lower then when I use USB/aux connection... Is that normal? Whenever I listen to XM radio, USB connected iPhone, and even FM radio, sound is clear and pretty crisp! But when Inconnect the same iPhone through Bluetooth (which is the new way, since it allows me to use a GPS app on it), the sound quality is really poor... There is some "cracking" in the music...

Is that usual? Should I go back to the dealer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
FM RDS display (According to the manual)
I have the Elantra GT GL (Canada version), which is like the US version without alloy wheels, and without the beige interior available. However in Canada we have the "Misty green" exterior color available which US don't :)

I have checked the US manual and I haven't found anything about FM RDS. In fact there seems to be no RDS support on the FM radio, it just displays the frequency. I find it weird because this radio supports XM but doesn't support RDS for FM?

Where in the manual is there a mention of that?

Thanks

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't know man, the Polk's I got keep sounding better and better every day.
i ordered some new speakers today...*ducking*

I went with some MB Quart comps...but i am keeping the smaller lpg tweeter too..plan to put the comps in the door as coax, and then put the LPG tweeter in the factory sail panel.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Quite impressed with the stock sound system, definitely has enough bass and the sound quality is good. Could certainly be better with some nice speakers but for stock I think I am going to leave it how it is. What I havent heard I wont miss ;) Head unit is also very simple to use and love how easy it is to integrate ipod/usb/bluetooth

·
Registered
537 Posts
Quite impressed with the stock sound system, definitely has enough bass and the sound quality is good. Could certainly be better with some nice speakers but for stock I think I am going to leave it how it is. What I havent heard I wont miss ;) Head unit is also very simple to use and love how easy it is to integrate ipod/usb/bluetooth
totally agree!!

i am not going to touch the amp, or add a sub..its the best sound factory car i have ever heard. I just have to see what aftermarket speakers sound like in it.

I have done "something" to every car i have owned since 1989:)

This will be the least...and maybe the last...getting too old.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When listening to music streamed via Bluetooth (MP3, or Pandora, etc), the song information is not displayed. It just simply shows streaming from iPhone. Is there a way either on the phone or the car to have this information transferred to the nav screen?
I have the same issue on my GT non-nav stereo with my Windows Phone running Mango. The metadata does not display and while I can pause/play and next/previous from the steering wheel and head unit controls, I can't search, change folders, or use playlists. I know my phone is capable of it because I could do all of that with the inexpensive JVC that I had in my old Sonata. Does anyone know if it's possible with the GT stock and maybe I need to change a setting or something?

1 - 20 of 270 Posts