Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Santa Fe Limited Ultimate - replaced windshield with OEM in 2017 and all LCD panel features worked fine. Just replaced windshield for a second time this time with non-OEM from nationwide window replacement service and the turn-by-turn and radio feature in the LCD panel on the dash aren't working. Both features now display a spinning wheel like a continuous trying to connect. Cannot get a straight answer on what would fix this issue ranging from a recalibration to must replace with OEM Hyundai glass.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Not sure why they put a windshield in that they can't get right but I would hound them about it.
Curious...What is it that you keep needing a new windshield?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,168 Posts
The antenna wiring usually routes up the 'A' pillar to the side of the windshield. So maybe the windshield installer has left the antenna wiring disconnected (9 below) when they were cutting the old windshield out. Or maybe they damaged the wiring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure why they put a windshield in that they can't get right but I would hound them about it.
Curious...What is it that you keep needing a new windshield?
First one was a falling walnut, second one seems to have been from a temperature difference - cracked along the entire length of the front blower about 4" from the bottom edge of the glass.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Certainly sounds like something left disconnected / damaged.

As for OEM versus aftermarket....If you have a vehicle that uses a forward looking camera that sees through the windshield factory glass put in by a qualified installed is recommended. Not all glass is equal and equally important, the glass must be installed to factory specification. GM glass for some models have locator pins of tabs to help get it in the right position. The proper amount of sealant must also be used.

People have brought us vehicle to relearn the front cameras after having a non GM windshield installed. We will attempt it, but if it does not learn we stop until the owner has factory glass put in by a qualified installer. We will not run up our diagnostic time for aftermarket glass. Plus, technical assistance will not even talk to us if aftermarket glass is installed. They will tell us to have the owner install OEM glass and then if it does not learn and we need assistance they will work with us.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm going through this BS as well. I was changing a wiper arm and the bare metal arm snapped backed and cracked the glass. The short line has now become a long line after 2 days, all the way horizontally where the blower line is about 4" from the bottom of the glass. Sound familiar abigail821? I am certainly suspect of the quality of the glass as I've made that mistake with the wiper arm before on other vehicles, it never cracked the glass. Anyhow, got quotes from two glass shops including a Hyundai dealer, all are saying to go with OEM glass and they are unable to locate an aftermarket match at all for a 2019...even though it's identical to 2018 window. Whatever. $1100.00 CDN all in to replace, $800 CDN is average aftermarket for a similar size window. Not happy.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Falling walnut, Wiper arm, They must use the cheapest glass you can get.
Falling coconut I can see.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Windshields are not an objective item. The glass and its installation must meet applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.....Keep in mind that the windshield is also a part of the structural integrity for the roof as well as providing a deflection point for the proper inflation of passenger air bags in many vehicle.

1. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 205 (or FMVSS 205 for short) addresses windshield glazing standards. In simple terms, this piece of regulation sets very precise standards for auto glass transparency and strength.

2. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 212 (or FMVSS 212 for short) addresses windshield mounting standards. This means that the windshield must be able to withstand certain amounts of damage/force during an accident.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going through this BS as well. I was changing a wiper arm and the bare metal arm snapped backed and cracked the glass. The short line has now become a long line after 2 days, all the way horizontally where the blower line is about 4" from the bottom of the glass. Sound familiar abigail821? I am certainly suspect of the quality of the glass as I've made that mistake with the wiper arm before on other vehicles, it never cracked the glass. Anyhow, got quotes from two glass shops including a Hyundai dealer, all are saying to go with OEM glass and they are unable to locate an aftermarket match at all for a 2019...even though it's identical to 2018 window. Whatever. $1100.00 CDN all in to replace, $800 CDN is average aftermarket for a similar size window. Not happy.
We have been told that if you need to replace with OEM glass with the Hyundai logo or there could be issues with some features not working. I'll be curious to know how thing turn out for you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had to get mine replaced twice within 1 month, last spring. Both were due to rocks from snow removal trucks on the highway. First time was replaced by Hyundai under warranty, then 2nd time by glass place that Hyundai uses in Laval, Quebec

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had to get mine replaced twice within 1 month, last spring. Both were due to rocks from snow removal trucks on the highway. First time was replaced by Hyundai under warranty, then 2nd time by glass place that Hyundai uses in Laval, Quebec
Did you get original Hyundai glass both times? I am trying to figure out if the aftermarket glass is the reason my LCD features aren't working or if something was damaged during the installation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We have been told that if you need to replace with OEM glass with the Hyundai logo or there could be issues with some features not working. I'll be curious to know how thing turn out for you.
Got the car back today with a new OEM windshield. All features appear to be working. I'll be asking my insurance company to lower my deductible as it appears that Hyundai glass may break if you breath on it too hard ;).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did you get original Hyundai glass both times? I am trying to figure out if the aftermarket glass is the reason my LCD features aren't working or if something was damaged during the installation.
Not sure, but they looked the same. My service advisor stated that this 3rd party place did all there glass work for them(they did the work both times). All my stuff works

I would suspect something wasn't done right or damaged for your issues

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've seen several posts (other places) saying OEM glass is the way to go as aftermarket can lead to problems with the camera (FCW & lane departure) and ADS sensors mounted behind the glass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Certainly sounds like something left disconnected / damaged.

As for OEM versus aftermarket....If you have a vehicle that uses a forward looking camera that sees through the windshield factory glass put in by a qualified installed is recommended. Not all glass is equal and equally important, the glass must be installed to factory specification. GM glass for some models have locator pins of tabs to help get it in the right position. The proper amount of sealant must also be used.

People have brought us vehicle to relearn the front cameras after having a non GM windshield installed. We will attempt it, but if it does not learn we stop until the owner has factory glass put in by a qualified installer. We will not run up our diagnostic time for aftermarket glass. Plus, technical assistance will not even talk to us if aftermarket glass is installed. They will tell us to have the owner install OEM glass and then if it does not learn and we need assistance they will work with us.
Thank you for your response! This is pretty much where we're at now. Working with the dealer to prove that it can't be calibrated with the replacement glass installed. Dealer indicated they have a similar situation with Hyundai tech support not helpful with replacement glass, and that we'd probably have to install OEM, sucks because it was a comp insurance claim and I don't want to pay out of pocket for anything more. Also,when I called Hyundai customer service told me they couldnt talk to me about it and referred me back to the dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts