Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Canadian Limited has 17" Kumho Solus KH25's on it and I have tried to find some info on these tires but they seem to be an OEM issue from Kumho. What do you all think about these tires? Can I expect the usual fast tread wear from an OEM?

If these things are going to be useless after 35,000 miles, then I may just use them for a few months and then get a better all-season set for winter
use. What are all of you in colder climates going to be doing with your OEM tires?

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (grathill @ Apr 17 2010, 04:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314155
If these things are going to be useless after 35,000 miles, then I may just use them for a few months and then get a better all-season set for winter
use. What are all of you in colder climates going to be doing with your OEM tires?
I'm going to wait till winter comes and see how they handle. I'll make my decision then. I'm not happy with the amount of road noise on them but I'm fairly impressed by the tread pattern from what I've seen, at least as far as rain traction goes. But you can't really tell from looking how the rubber compound will handle colder temperatures. You also can't really tell how they are going to wear. I really haven't looked at them close enough to opine on how the tread pattern will handle snow.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have Kumho's on my Ltd. I didn't look at the specifics. I have no experience with Kumho tires so I can't comment on them. I'm a Very big fan of winter tires. I intend to buy winter tires mounted on seperate rims to run from the first snow fall to spring. I have done this for quite some time now. The way I look at it is I'm going to buy at least one set of tires for the car before I sell it and I might as well have the benefit of using the right tire for the season. I even do this on my wife's car and she only drive @ 5K miles a year. It does cost me an extra set of rims and I do have the abliity to store them and change them my self but I highly recommend this if you live a an area that gets much snow.

Just my two cents.
:)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Some nice Nokians are going to be going onto the stock 17" rims later in the year when winter is near. Then I will decide what to do for the summer tires. Either going to get new 17" rims and stay with the Kumhos till they die or buy better tires like the Triple Treads of Nokian all weather or move up to 18" rims and tires.

For those who want to run all seasons, I hear the Nokian WR are fantastic, they actually are certified as winter tires too. Offcourse they won't be as good as a dedicated winter tire but will be leaps and bounds ahead of all seasons. So pretty much a good option for those who don't want the hassel of having to change tires each year but still want winter performance.

I would assume the Kumho will wear out in 3 years like tires on every other car from the factory. But heard the KH16 were pretty good and the KH26 are the new versions of the KH16. So they should be good tires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hmmmm, on our Limited we have Hankook tires as OEM. Maybe they put the Kuhmo's in more northern climates and the Hankooks further south? Interesting as I did not realize that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (jfulcher @ Apr 18 2010, 11:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314310
Ours has Hankook as well. I'm ready for them to wear out so I can get some nice Michelins. :)
I'm not too happy with the ride that I get with my Hankook tires. Even my local dealer said there were much better tires out there for a price.

Before I drop $600 on a set of Michelins, is there anyone out there that has Michelins on there LTD and did it make much of a difference?

I'm looking for a more comfortable ride with less road noise.

My wife's car is an Infiniti with Michelin's that rides as smooth as glass with very little road noise. I know my Sonata isn't in the same class as the Infiniti, but I would still like to get the best ride possible in my Sonata LTD.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (retiredguy @ Jul 9 2010, 09:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340165
I'm not too happy with the ride that I get with my Hankook tires. Even my local dealer said there were much better tires out there for a price.

Before I drop $600 on a set of Michelins, is there anyone out there that has Michelins on there LTD and did it make much of a difference?

My wife's car is an Infiniti with Michelin's that rides as smooth as glass with very little road noise. I know my Sonata isn't in the same class as the Infiniti, but I would still like to get the best ride possible in my Sonata LTD.

i have Michelins on my Acura Legend and LOVE LOVE LOVE them......not so happy about paying $150 a piece for 16" tires but you gotta pay to play....they ride great (except over very rough roads) ..they handle insane in the rain..never drove em in snow because I refuse to drive my legends in snow

·
Registered
90 Posts
The stock tires are loud. I'm hoping mine wear out soon so I can replace them. I drive 80+ miles a day, at least 5 days a week, so it hopefully won't take too long.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the Kumho Tires and find them very quiet in comparison to my friends Sonata that has the Hankook oems. He regrets that he requested them. As far as longevity goes I wouldn't expect them to last more than 3 years.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Funny, I find the Kumhos very noisy. I guess if you compare them to Hankook they might be quiet. That's like saying Wendy's is gourmet food when all you compare it to is McDonalds.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ Jul 9 2010, 12:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340222
Funny, I find the Kumhos very noisy. I guess if you compare them to Hankook they might be quiet. That's like saying Wendy's is gourmet food when all you compare it to is McDonalds.
FWIW, the hankook on the 18's are just all around crappy tires

·
Registered
16 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ Jul 9 2010, 12:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340222

:laughing: Hey we are talking about oem tires. My last car had Firestone GTA 03's on them. Not only were they loud, but they were bad in the rain, and worse in the snow. First set of tires I have ever replaced before wearing them out.

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (Limitless @ Jul 9 2010, 12:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340238
:laughing: Hey we are talking about oem tires. My last car had Firestone GTA 03's on them. Not only were they loud, but they were bad in the rain, and worse in the snow. First set of tires I have ever replaced before wearing them out.
OK, funny story time....

In 1988 I was working for Goodyear. We started seeing the first Hyundai Excels come into the shop. They were using, as OEM tires, Goodyear Corsa GTs. Goodyear classifies their tires into 3 tiers, good, better and best. The Corsa GT was in the best category. I was impressed that Hyundai, a company that was brand new to the U.S. at the time was using such a high grade of tire.

So in 1989 I went to the auto show and saw the first Sonata released here. I was very impressed and actually bought one. I was really upset to find out they came with Michelin tires.

Then I did some research. It turned out the only reason Hyundai was using the Corsa GT was because Goodyear was the only company they could find that would extend them credit for tires. And part of Goodyear making the deal was forcing them into the higher priced rubber. It wasn't because Hyundai made a commitment to providing higher quality components.

·
Registered
932 Posts
One more OEM tire story though to show that it's not always cheapness that dictates the tires on the car.

Back in those days we saw a lot of Toyota Supras in the shop. Now, the Supra had the exact same tire size as the Mustang GT. I can't remember the exaxt size, but it was an Eagle GT tire.

But Toyota insisted on a special design for the Supra tire. They wanted a tire that was quieter and better riding than normal performance times of the time. So Goodyear designed a special tire just for the Supra. They went from the 5 rib design used on the Mustang to a 7 rib design. That created smaller lugs and thus a quieter tire.

But to make the tire smoother riding they took out 1 ply on the sidewall. It made for a much softer tire. But it also made for a tire that was very susceptible to potholes. People would hit the potholes and the inner liner of the tire would get cut by the wheel causing sidewall bubbles.

We replaced a lot of Supra tires. Most people, after few replacements, ended up using the Mustang tires instead.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ Jul 9 2010, 01:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340252
So in 1989 I went to the auto show and saw the first Sonata released here. I was very impressed and actually bought one. I was really upset to find out they came with Michelin tires.
i can understand your being upset due to the fact that you worked for Goodyear but besides that, why would you be upset with Michelins? They time and time again consistently beat goodyears in both wet and dry pavements. They also balance out smoother too. Not saying Goodyears are bad, they are smooth tires but most have horrible wet traction and the ones that don't, are extremely noisy

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 9 2010, 01:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340258
i can understand your being upset due to the fact that you worked for Goodyear but besides that, why would you be upset with Michelins? They time and time again consistently beat goodyears in both wet and dry pavements. They also balance out smoother too. Not saying Goodyears are bad, they are smooth tires but most have horrible wet traction and the ones that don't, are extremely noisy
Well I would disagree on that. Goodyear tires have terrible wet traction off the line. But their cornering and breaking on wet pavement I always found superior. And the Michelin tires they put on the Sonata were terrible for handling even on dry pavement. You could grab the tire by the bead and almost turn it completely inside out. I know because I took them off the car with less than 500 miles on them and put them on the showroom floor. I used those tires as a demonstration to my customers every time someone was looking for a performance tire. I replaced them with Goodyear Double Eagles that not only had a much stiffer sidewall, but also came with a nylon overlay. And the Michelin was supposed to be a performance tire, the Goodyear Double Eagle was not.

And then let's talk about rubber compound. Michelin tires are awful when it starts getting cold. The rubber they use doesn't stay soft and pliable when the temperature drops. Goodyear, on the other hand, stays soft and thus give much better traction in the cold. The downside to this is that Goodyear tires will wear out much faster than a Michelin would due to the harder rubber compound.

Keep in mind, this is all from the late 80's early 90's. Goodyear has changed a lot since then. I have no real knowledge of their products since then other than as a consumer. But I can tell you, if you knew tires back then, there was a major difference in the two brands.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ Jul 9 2010, 02:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340264
Well I would disagree on that. Goodyear tires have terrible wet traction off the line. But their cornering and breaking on wet pavement I always found superior. And the Michelin tires they put on the Sonata were terrible for handling even on dry pavement. You could grab the tire by the bead and almost turn it completely inside out. I know because I took them off the car with less than 500 miles on them and put them on the showroom floor. I used those tires as a demonstration to my customers every time someone was looking for a performance tire. I replaced them with Goodyear Double Eagles that not only had a much stiffer sidewall, but also came with a nylon overlay. And the Michelin was supposed to be a performance tire, the Goodyear Double Eagle was not.

And then let's talk about rubber compound. Michelin tires are awful when it starts getting cold. The rubber they use doesn't stay soft and pliable when the temperature drops. Goodyear, on the other hand, stays soft and thus give much better traction in the cold. The downside to this is that Goodyear tires will wear out much faster than a Michelin would due to the harder rubber compound.

Keep in mind, this is all from the late 80's early 90's. Goodyear has changed a lot since then. I have no real knowledge of their products since then other than as a consumer. But I can tell you, if you knew tires back then, there was a major difference in the two brands.
I can only speak about the current tire situation because I was too young to care in the 80's lol. It's true Michelin sidewalls leave a bit to be desired (they do firecrack wayyyyyyyyy before the tread is worn) and they are a bit harder rubber. Michelins can last 80,000 miles if rotated and aligned properly.

Before I bought my michelin primacys for my legend, I wanted a set of Goodyear Assurance. I was told by every dealer (including two goodyear shops) that most goodyears are too road noisy.

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 9 2010, 01:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340274
I can only speak about the current tire situation because I was too young to care in the 80's lol. It's true Michelin sidewalls leave a bit to be desired (they do firecrack wayyyyyyyyy before the tread is worn) and they are a bit harder rubber. Michelins can last 80,000 miles if rotated and aligned properly.

Before I bought my michelin primacys for my legend, I wanted a set of Goodyear Assurance. I was told by every dealer (including two goodyear shops) that most goodyears are too road noisy.
Unfortunately a lot of factors go into tire design and they are all based on compromise. The absolute best dry traction is achieved with no tread pattern at all. A full racing slick gives the best possible traction. But gives zero traction on wet roads. A tire designed with a hard rubber compound, such as the Michelin, will last a really long time. But the traction will be compromised. A tire with an aggressive tread pattern will give the best wet road traction, but it will also make the most noise.

That's why you really need to know what's important to you when making a tire purchase. Even then, it's hard for the average consumer to know how to satisfy the criteria they've chosen. I was forced to spend 2 weeks in Akron Ohio training on all these things just so I could sell tires. But I wasn't sent there when I first started. I had to be in the store well over a year before I got that training. And for that year I really knew nothing. I don't even know if they still even offer that training. No offense, but I wouldn't wish 2 weeks of being in Akron on anybody.

I can still look at a tire's tread design and get a pretty good idea of what kind of traction and road noise it's going to have. However a lot of changes have happened over the years and some tread designs I just can't get a handle on. And it's really hard to make any judgment on rubber compounds. It's really a shot in the dark in most cases. But we do this much, low rolling resistance tires, such as we have on the Sonata, are not designed to be as flexible as normal tires. And this translates into road noise. That doesn't mean they'll be high performance because the rigidity is not in the sidewall but rather in the tread itself.

·
Registered
517 Posts
QUOTE (retiredguy @ Jul 9 2010, 08:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340165

I had Michelin MXX4 OEM tires on my 2006 Sonata Limited. I HIGHLY DO NOT recommend them. Poor winter traction, wore out by 32,000 miles! The ride was harsher and were noisier than the Cooper CS4 tires I now have.
:banana: 1 winter told me the CS4's were great! :banana:
Kevin in North Dakota

1 - 20 of 21 Posts