Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Hyundai Elantra came with these OEM spalsh guards. Not favor imho looks wise and would like to get rid of them but curious if anyone has removed them and if they actually offer any protection whatsoever.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Sure need something, tire threads stick out past the wheel wells, don't call these splash shields but stone shields instead.

This state puts pea gravel on the shoulders of the road that can't seem to stay in the shoulders because some drivers just can't stay on the pavement. If you don't have stone shields, tire will pick up stones and splash your doors in the front and your bumper at the rear. They call these stone chips.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Not that I am over cautious, dealer is 42 miles from my home, took the long way home using the interstate instead of a county road to avoid stones to bring my new Limited home.

Already purchased two sets of these.

$9.99 each from my Fleet Farm store plus another ten bucks for two packs of Dorman 3/16" push pin rivets. jacked up each wheel under the suspension only about a half and inch to remove each wheel, this gave me an opportunity to proper lubricate each disc brake, never do this right from the factory, only one out of eight had near enough silicone in the guide pins, jam those full including the boots to keep out road salt, anti-seize for the rests.

Took a couple of #8 sheet metal screws, ground the heads off, could screw those in two holes that mount the wheel wells, using a square made of a couple of 2 by 4's used that as a guide to align each one vertical, tapped with a hammer over those two headless screws for a clear mark, drilled holes in those two marks and reattached with the OEM screws, like these splash shield to be perfectly vertical, dealers do a terrible job.

Drilled extra holes for the push pin rivets, they don't rust or fall out, 3 in the rear, 2 in the front as I recall. Ironically, same splash shields used on our 04 Cavalier, 12 Cruze, are extra large size, zero stone chips on these cars.

88 Supra has huge tires on it and do not need splash shields as they call them now, wheel wells are flared out, so the tires just do not stick out with plenty of rubber behind each wheel. Don't only just look at the Elantra, look at all new vehicles, practically all of them have the tires sticking out and all subject to stone chips.

I call this post production work, along with a list of other things I have to do to maintain reliability and protection.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
My photo was there when typing, hmm, not there now.

RoadSport Pro-Fit Splash Guards - Model #1 are the ones I used.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm also in Midwest and I made the "no splash guards" mistake with one of my cars years ago. I was constantly touching up stone chips just behind the drive wheels :(
OTOH- The (purchased new) 2010 Altima I traded in last Fall had NO chips behind its front wheels. Stone chips on the hood and front fascia, but not in the area behind those factory splash guards.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I purchased some aftermarket splash guards. When I bought my Elantra, there was another one on the lot that had splash guards and an auto-dimming rear view mirror, but did not have wheel locks. I would have preferred that one, but it was not available. When I rotate my tires, I will remove the wheel locks, which I do not like, and install the mud guards, which I would prefer. I'm not going to purchase the rear view mirror--too expensive. I'll have to live with flicking the little switch at night.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Dealer was kind enough to install genuine Hyundai keyed lug nuts on my Limited, but fortunately the four original lugs nuts were in the package, the keyed lug nuts came in.

Put the original lug nuts back on for two good reasons, first, you can buy those keyed sockets anywhere, second and most important with this dang road salt, broke the tip of that keyed wrench and really had major problems. Ha, if anyone wants this set, like brand new in the package, they can have them.

Raised ten kids, not all my own, four daughters was the major problem away from home at college, would leave an expensive jacket or their purse in their car, would be lucky if there was two bucks in their purse. Some character would break a window, super easy with a pointed object, and take their purse or jacket, but still had to replace a broken window. Sure couldn't afford comprehensive for under 25 year old kids, cost more than what the car was worth.

Ha, all this is history now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts