Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TL;DR: Thinking of swapping head unit in 2015 Santa Fe with 2017/18 head unit for android auto compatibility

So I have a relative who was disappointed to hear that her 2015 Santa Fe Sport Ultimate wouldn't receive the update that allowed for android auto integration for her car (from what I understand, the software is incompatible). So, I've been reading around the forum for solutions, and I came across an idea to swap the head unit from her 2015 with an OEM head unit from a 2017/2018 model to gain android auto compatibility. Looking at the wiring, it seems to be very similar (harnesses seem to be the same).

(forum wont let me post the link because i haven't been a member for 7 days, so ill post a picture of the link, sorry.)

Judging by this wiring diagram, the pins seem to be the same. The diagram said its for 2013-2018 models, however, the backside of the headunit for the 2017/2018 head units seems to vary a little bit. For example, I can't seem to find where the FM/AM antenna would plug into on the new head unit. Ive also looked at a few different 2017/18 head units and the back also seems to look a bit different as well. Ill attach images of what I'm referencing.

(first image is the 2015 unit, second is another 2017 unit that looks to have a little more wiring than the one I'm looking to buy, third is the 2017 unit I'm looking to purchase)

What do you guys think? Do you think this swap would work?

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is my thoughts about the Android Auto. Garbage! I hate pretty much everything about it. Here are things I hate about Android Auto in my SFSL.

1. You ALWAYS have to have the phone hooked up to the USB port to use AA. Absolutely pointless if you have bluetooth.
2. You can't read or hear any text messages that come in or reply to them.
3. You loose total control of your phone. You can not just grab the phone and escape out of AA to check something. You loose total control.
4. Google Voice doesn't work worth crap on AA. (Google Pixel 1)

But I'll be nice and say some positive things about AA.

One feature I find interesting is when using Maps. You get a choice to use your NAV systems map or Google Maps (which I don't recommend because they tend to be incorrect), or use Waze. I've never tried Waze on it yet but I might try this weekend for shits and giggles. Other than that, I'm not a fan of AA. I personally would think it's a waste of money to swap them out. Just my opinion.

Maybe others have had better experience with AA could share their thoughts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looking at the different head units I don't think they would work out of the box. Would probably have to re-pin the harnesses along with maybe add some additional features to the car depending on what the head unit is expecting.

It might be simpler to put in an aftermarket touchscreen head unit with an adapter module to retain a lot of the car functions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2014 Santa Fe Sport & with OEM Nav & am considering a similar “upgrade.” Here are some things to consider:

1. After-market won’t work. Integrated climate controls in the unit are not compatible with any known manufactured head units.
2. If changing to a 2017 OEM head unit, then make sure you match the version you presently have (ie nav with infinity, dimension).
3. If changing to a 2017 OEM head unit, there will be “extra” wiring for the “surround view” associated with the back-up camera & additonal side monitors. This might require a work-around for compatibility with the earlier version that has backup camera, only.

I have been to the local dealership & verified OEM part numbers for both my present 2014 Santa Fe Sport 8” Nav head-unit with Dimension sound & the 2017 similar model. My next step is to compare wiring to verify compatibility. Since my goal is to have Apple Carplay, I will also need to secure the necessary upgrade card, if not already installed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
2017 SFS w/o NAV, but ours' does support AA (7" screen?). Sorry I can't comment on the connections, etc. but wanted to mention you can run AA stand alone on your phone. I had the thought to upgrade the head unit in our 2010 SF GLS to get AA support but an upgrade to the app last year gave me the stand alone function. One of the complaints I have seen is the power output may not be sufficient to charge the phone while you are using AA. I think it depends on your phone, apps you are running, etc. With stand alone mode I can use a different charger to power the phone.

I have done messaging via AA. It's how I realized I needed to update / adjust the names in the phone. After we got the 2017 SFS, we were playing with AA and tried to send our daughter a message. After a couple of back and forths, the other person sent 'who's this?' I had two people in my phone with the same name... chuckles ensued...

Something to keep in mind - AA is rather young. Wireless communication to the head unit is (I believe) coming later this year. It took a while for Waze to get to AA. I updated Waze on my wife's phone but not mine as I like to use some of the celebrity voices once in a while. My Waze may not work with AA.

We didn't want the NAV because of the horror stories of how much $$ it cost up upgrade the maps, and how infrequent updates appeared - once a year? Then again the larger screen could be a benefit.

Stand alone mode will give you something to play with while you are deciding which head unit to get.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts