Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade my 2014 Elantra GT (which has Style and Tech) to theOEM unit used only in 2016 so I can gain Android Auto. It appears to me that the maps offered byMnSOFT cover all of North America so using a US (96560-A5310) or Canadian(96560-A5300) seem equally viable.

Does anyone have the technical info for the dash harnesses connectingto the head unit of: 1) the 2016Canadian market; 2) the 2014 US market?

From pictures I’ve found on the ‘net, there is only slight differencesin the button functions on the face panel between the US and Canadian unitsthat wouldn’t bother me.

Any assistance/advice anyone can provide wouldbe greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't purchased a P/N 96560-A5300 (Canadian market unit) but I have found one in excellent condition and for an extremely reasonable price.

The one P/N 96560-A5310 I had found was in an E-GT that had major structural damage to the roof (including both A pillars) and the windshield was literally folded over the entire dashboard.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,841 Posts
These head units are not super uncommon to find out of parts cars online. I am interested in the swap as well though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been searching for it like forever did u find it online ?!? I think from what I read u will need the USB port changed too because it has a deferent connector

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dr.aalam,

Thanks for the heads up on that. I will do some research this week on the various related part numbers of the ancillary items and let all of you know what I find.

C'ya!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dr.aalam,

Thanks for the heads up on that. I will do some research this week on the various related part numbers of the ancillary items and let all of you know what I find.

C'ya!
ComicOzzie were you able to find the parts online ??? I live in Virginia and can't find it in local stores

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dr.aalam,

C'ya!
Will last night was a complete failure I purshased one of the Canadian 2016 Navi unit from Canda and tried to replace my 2013 OEM navigation it plugs in just like the 2013 with exception of the radio cable ( was like what the heck I don’t need it ) and super happy till now but turned the car on and nothing happened the screen is black and nothing happens like if didn’t get any electrical signal I don’t know if it’s the plug pins that had changed or the navigation gps module needs to be changed too I really don’t know and if anyone had an idea please help me

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dr.aalam,

I sent you a PM. I don't think there is any antitheft code necessary to reset one of these units but did you try hitting the tiny reset button on the front of the unit to see if it had any affect? I suspect that it is likely a wiring difference and the schematics for both your 2013 E-GT as well as the Canadian 2016 E-GT are needed.

That's my $.02

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, did it work in the end? I purchased a 2016 GT NAV CAN radio that is "en route" for my 2013 Elantra GT and will try it out this week.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
vhuard,

I'm interested to know how you make out with the Canadian retrofit. I reached out via PM to Dr.aalam but never got a response. I'm leaning towards focusing solely on the two US part numbers.

I got a chance to actually use Android Auto in a new Chevrolet Equinox we rented for a road trip to Florida last week. Satisfaction is heavily dependent on the smartphone you're using (which I can tell you is NOT a Moto G3, wanted to run over it somewhere in Alabama and put it out of my misery) but at least for GPS via Google it worked well.

C'ya,
Paul

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi ComicOzzie,

I'm getting the same result. a beautiful black screen when i start the car. I don,t understand why they would change the wiring since there are converter everywhere for aftermarket radio. I would love to take appart a EGT 2016 to see the wiring :)

It's weird too, because I've looked at the manual on hyndaiinfotech and there are no difference in the different manuals for the different years. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh, and the am/fm antenna plug is different. I got a bunch of picture, but can't post them.

I did went back and tried something to see if there was any power in the unit... I turned on my "night lights" and the button turned blue. So there is power in there... I just don't understand why nothing else happen... I also tried the reset button with no success.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe this could be an anti-theft thing? Would this require a code somehow?

I'm about to put this into the trash and go after-market.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
vhuard,

I'm assuming your 2013 E-GT had a factory Navigation head unit so this had a greater likelihood of success versus Dr.aalam's attempt (his was a US market car with the same Canadian unityou have) and yet you both got the same result. Here in the US, I believe 2013 through 2015 used the same part number Nav unit but the MTS module (Bluelink telematics) I think changed in 2015 and the "unicorn" Navunit was only installed in 2016's. Canadian E-GT’s didn’t have Bluelink offered on any trim did they?

You might try confirming which receptacle pin on the back of the new unit is ground via a continuity meter/tester and see if that is different than your dash harness/original head unit. That may give you a clue that there are wiring differences. If you have a good relationship with your dealer service department, they may at least be willing to give you a schematic for your 2013 E-GT.

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't any anti-theft code to worry about but I've also never disconnected mine myself to find out. I'll have to look at the owner's manual.

I wouldn’t have guessed the antenna connector would be any different being a commodity item (and likely common with other Elantra bodystyles and/or other Hyundai model vehicles). Maybe there is a different signal amplifier integrated into the antenna assembly that necessitated this?

I’ve never been able to find any schematics of a US 2016 E-GT nor my US 2014 E-GT to begin to analyze what is fed into two main rectangular harness connectors that plug into the back of the head unit. Obviously there is more than just constant/switched power, ground and audio output (high or low level I know not) which is why I’m not crazy about optimistically spending $300+ only to be sadly mistaken and add another yet another unusable car part in my garage.

Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
we have the 2016 value ed, no nav. while i would have liked to have it, the extra cost didnt justify it. i first bought a garmin, which is excellent, except that it kinda obscures vision. i wanted an indash unit, so when i found a pioneer avic-8200nex on sale for 525, i got it. i bought the wire harness/swc module and faceplate from crutchfield, and installed it. while i endured a myriad of problems, the unit is in there, and working perfectly. it has both android auto, and apple carplay, and mirror phone. i also loaded an sd card with my favorite music. it also has a cd slot. the factory radio sucked, and this one has a lot more power, so it sounds nice. factory backup camera integrates, as did the steering wheel controls. so, i dont know how well it compares to the factory nav, but for way less, i now have a nice indash unit, nice big screen for the backup camera, and really nice sounding radio. plus android auto. beware, tho, the pioneer avicsync app is a piece of garbage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey ComicOzzie,

See, this is the opposite of this that I would need for the AM/FM Antenna conversion...

Metra 40-KI11 Antenna Adapter

·
Registered
18 Posts
Found it online: Metra 40-KI21 Antenna Adapter

I think I know what is wrong with my wiring...Looks like the Sonata is using the same AVN 4.0 radio and they indeed when I look at the schema moved some things around and even added another cable to get more power in one of the pin... I have a few connector coming in and will try to make this work ;-)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here are the differences between the previous radio and the "new" one used in the EGT 2016:

- The ACC power moved from Connector B pin 11 to pin 18. Pin 11 is now another "Battery +". So my understanding is that I need to run another live 12v cable here and move my ACC power cable.
- The camera moved from Connector A (multiple PIN) to Connector C. This brings another issue... It looks like there is now multiple canbus plugging into Connector C that are named "chassis-CAN (Low)", "chassis-CAN (High)", Body-CAN (High), Body-CAN (Low). In the previous radio, you had PINs in Connector A and Connector B to tell you that you are in "R position" or "P position" or "door unlock"...this is not the case anymore with the EGT 2016...I believe these things moved into the different Canbus...

I don't believe I have these CANbus connector around in my car...so this is probably where this project fails... OR it will only make me loose my backup camera... What do you think?

Now that I know why the radio is not booting, I'll try to boot it with the cable I'm waiting to receive today...but again, I'm now thinking the canbus things is where this will fail :\
Or maybe you guys know something I don't?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts