Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a look at this.
Ebay Cruise Control Query - Kia Forum

For the Kia Rio, they are able to just install the OEM cruise control buttons and harness, and poooff..they now have cruise control. Do you guys think we can do the same?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm hoping, I'd LOVE to install cruise control. It's on my to-do list. From what I've gathered online (but I could be way off here, so correct me if I'm wrong) is that the 3rd party options are essentially plug and play, they just require an external stalk. So I'd assume if you can get your hands on OEM steering wheel switches and a controller you'd have no issues.

Again. Take that with a massive grain of salt. I'm just thinking out loud here.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Really it will depend on whether the wiring is there or not. I would think if you have the switches, it would probably work, but until someone attempts it and can confirm ...

http://www.rostra.com/manuals/250-9628_Form5381A.pdf

The 3rd-party solution is more than a stalk and plug-and-play - there is a module and wire splices required - just not as many as it is a throttle-by-wire car.

However, that doesn't mean the OEM wiring ISN'T there, Rostra might have just decided it was easier to access the OBD II port than to remove the airbag modules on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
648 Posts
wow and works on M/T

I received the set yesterday and installed it today. To put the cables inside the steering wheel was a bit of a pain but the great thing is it really works even for my MT.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Strange. It did not work on mine but maybe that's because I had an automatic.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
I was looking into this for the Gen Coupe R specs as they don't have the CC. There is only one wire that goes to the ECU. The switches are all a specific individual resistance. I speculated that adding the wheel with switches would work as I can't see Hyundai making a separate wire loom just for that.

I also think that Hyundai would not make separate ECUs just for the simple programming change of adding or taking away the CC logic.

The manual trans would need a wire run through the clutch to cancel the CC. That may just be the regular switch though and already be there.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
539 Posts
If it was an easy add-on say for 250 bucks, you would think the dealer I asked would now, but they said it isn't possible for them to add it later on must be on from factory. They are just covering up their own butt am sure it can be done somewhere but not at the Hyundai dealer since assuming if not on from factory, dealer cannot tamper with cruise due to liability.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ugh, I am driving 60-70 miles a day now and I suddenly want cruise control. I wish there was a known way to get this working. I know I can always go the Rostra route, but it would be a lot cleaner if there was a way to do it with the factory parts.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
My neighbor has a new Dart and he ordered the module for in the steering wheel and the wiring was there waiting for him to connect to. Works like a factory install no ECU program req'd.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I know I can always go the Rostra route, but it would be a lot cleaner if there was a way to do it with the factory parts.
Thinking out loud, but Hyundai usually doesn't do a lot of databus wiring. i.e. the steering wheel switches are probably discrete switches - if you are handy with a soldering iron, you could probably install the Hyundai steering wheel switches and the Rostra CC and solder the Hyundai switches to the guts of the Rostra stalk switch.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
First thing I would do is take the steering wheel air bag off and see if there are connectors for the switches. I would bet if there is it's plug and play. Or nearly so. There should only be one wire for all the switches output as the buttons all have a different resistance. Then the interlock on the brake and clutch if you have one. You can also look at the ECU pinout and see if the wire that would come from those switches is in the loom.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
I know. The idea that Hyundai would make different wire looms, different clock springs, different ECUs just to have or not have CC is not logical if only one wire feeds the ECU.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts