Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know the thickness, in mm, of a new set of oem brake pads?

I'm asking for educational purposes. Took the Santa Fe in for oil change and brake service (inspection, clean and lube). Tech said that everything was fine, there was no build-up and the vehicle had 6mm left all four pads.

The write up said the 6mm thickness was "GOOD", but I would like to know the % of the original thickness.

TIA

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (optionstrail @ May 10 2010, 07:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321573

I'm asking for educational purposes. Took the Santa Fe in for oil change and brake service (inspection, clean and lube). Tech said that everything was fine, there was no build-up and the vehicle had 6mm left all four pads.

The write up said the 6mm thickness was "GOOD", but I would like to know the % of the original thickness.

TIA
Don't quote me on this, but I think they increased the thickness about 0.5mm in the transition from SM to CM models. Anyway, for a CM (like yours) they start out at 10.5mm front and 10.0mm rear.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
10mm is typical thickness of friction material on a new HYUNDAI pad

Simple math says 6 of 10 =60%, deduct a little bit for wear sensor overhang of pad at approx 2-3mm, but sometimes wear sensors just break off, so you is better to peek at the pads once in a while...

With aluminum wheels, they is right out in the open, just look in at them.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (optionstrail @ May 10 2010, 09:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321573

TIA
You're around 50% or slightly better... similar to mine at 45,000 km (5-6mm rear, 7mm front).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Don67 @ May 11 2010, 04:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321843
You're around 50% or slightly better... similar to mine at 45,000 km (5-6mm rear, 7mm front).
Houston....we have problem......not really, but my Santa Fe is a little over 1 year old and has about 15k miles....half way thru the brake pads, which means I might need new pads before 30K mile service......

Santa Fe is technically "my" vehicle, but dh and i switch vehicles on a regular basis....dh has been driving the Santa Fe to work in NYC since for past few months.....plus he has a heavy foot when it comes to braking....

I took "his" 2007 GMC for an oil change......as soon as i got into his GMC, the steering wheel was vibrating when braking and the "service soon" light was on....."arghhhhhh".......over the course of 10K miles he went from "GREEN" to "RED" on the original front brake pads at 45k miles....

Oh well, won't nag.....can't teach an old dog new tricks......guess i will just have to be diligent with the service of the Santa Fe.....and follow the more conservative servicing schedule....

Thanks for the input Everyone!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts