Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I own a 2017 Elantra. Recently I bought an aftermarket radio (android) with support for backup cameras connected with an RCA cable. I found the 16 pin connector, which I assumed, powers and receives video signal from the camera.

Common schematics depict said connector to have 5 connected pins:
3,4 - camera (GND + Input)
10,11,12 - reverse detect, +, GND

Meanwhile my connector has got only 4 connected pins:
3,4 - camera,
10,11 - probably +,ground

On OEM radio all of this works flawlessly, while in reverse gear the radio shows the rear camera.
On aftermarket radio nothing happens.

Being hinted at the OEM camera using 5V (and not 12V) I also bought an adapter that fits the 16pin connector, but it's also got 'reverse detect' connected to the 12 pin, so in my car this is effectively connected to absolutely nothing.

Have you ever seen an Elantra with 4 active pins coming from its OEM camera?
How does it even signal to the radio that the car is in reverse?

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra
192 Posts
The backup camera is 6-pin.

And I understand why my Installer isn't a fan of modern Hyundai's and Kia's because of how confusing their backup camera systems are.

The backup cams are 6Volts. I bought an Drok 12V to 6V step down converter from Amazon.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
In my neck of the woods, many so called downtown stores are history, stores are built on the edge of town with 3-6 acre parking lots. Many stupid parents let their kids run wild in these parking lots and with conventional rear and side view mirrors can't see them.

Should make backup cameras with alarms law instead of stupid ABS brakes that don't even work. And if you don't know you have a low pressure tire shouldn't even be driving, but have a congress that doesn't know the difference between a brake or clutch pedal making these laws.

But been this way for years, had to purchase a more expensive vehicle to get safety additions, like steel reinforcement in doors, better bumpers, and a collapsible steering wheel. Additions like a back up camera in production quantities only cost a couple of bucks, that screen on your dash is a printing press operation and a heck of a lot cheaper than a mechanically tuned radio.

Just paid an extra couple bucks to get these options, sure don't want to go to a court because I ran over a kid.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
This is a rather nebulous statement on rear seat headrests or restrains. "Automakers are not required by law to include them in the backseat of any vehicle, however. First, head restraints, or car head rests, should be positioned high enough to support the driver or passenger's head so as to minimize neck distortion."

Sure another reason why vehicles should be originally equipped with a backup camera, with those high head restrains on the back seat, just about completely block your rear vision when backing up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts