Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

No sludge collected in media or filter can like seen in all my previous non-OE filters. Oil is black as ink as for my typical 170hr/3600mile run.

Filter case is knowingly thicker than most aftermarket filters. Took a few extra spins of the 'pipe cutter' to split.
Spring loaded internal bypass is good stuff.
Silicone ADBV also functioned fine. ADBV doesn't need to be silicone to work well.
Media is still just like typical cellulose media and undamaged from usage.

My only issue is that there is nothing in the media or can that shows anything "blocked". Did all the soot pass thru the media? Most likely. I'd wager that it was the same ~50 micron laughable specs seen with -03. All that abrasive carbon soot simply blasting your engine. Bearings must love all that carbon grit.

So, the -04 filter doesn't seem to be any better than the -03 filter. New PN means nothing.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks for your research on 04.

Based on your comparison, are you saying that there is no quality difference between 03 and 04....or any difference in construction of any filter component

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I can tell, there is no difference in the quality/construction when comparing the -03 to the -04. Its a non-filter and I don't recommend it. Even the Fram orange can filtered much soot out. There is no point in wasting money on a lowest bid quality polishedturd OEM Hyundai filter that doesn't filter well.

Replaced the -04 with a Fram HP15 filter. Its their 20mm threaded racing filter and last I checked, it was discontinued. Its the race version of the ph3593a. Is working great and silent engine starts/runs! The HP15 was replaced with the smaller HP17 in the current Fram Racing catalog. When I hit my next interval, I'll cut it open too.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks for confirming what Hyundai dealer in Florida told me, 03 has been renamed 04...no change in specifications or construction.

Looking forward to your next cut up for HP 17

·
Registered
403 Posts
Would be interesting to see if different filters catch different concentrations of various metals in the same engine using the same change interval and oil.

I agree, engines fail due to lack of lubrication from oil breakdown and viscocity loss, not because you used a Fram vs OEM.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I call bs on the no change between the 03 and 04. No manufacturer changes the part number of a very widely used component, between multiple brands (Hyundai/KIA) and all the inventory and distribution, for no reason. It may be a non-functional difference (labeling, color change, new box information) but the cost to do this is not small, and would not be done with "no change". Could be a different manufacturer, or even the same manufacturer but different process, any number of things. But there has to be a reason and difference or there wouldn't be different part numbers.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PN's get superceded all the time and is not difficult to do with computer inventory/ordering systems. Email Hyundai and ask them what those changes were. I just don't see anything when comparing what I remember from using the -03 to this -04. But, since its a cheap filter, one can only imagine what additional shortcuts were taken to keep it cheaper.

Flow vs filtration.... problem is that you get neither with discount cardboard media. Looks like a ton of media trying to make up for both flow and filtration.... A ton of skanks don't add up to make a good wife. A ton of cheap media is still a cheap filter.

Flow comes from the oil pump and should be non-issue with ANY filter used.

Particle counts on the -03 were pathetic. I doubt that the -04 is any better. There was just none of the soot in the media or canister when compared to aftermarket filters that have reasonable <25 micron ratings. What is the point of a filter that doesn't filter? or is a coarse filter at best?

Reactions: Saleem

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I would be curious if you pulled apart a new one (less messy) and checked the media itself if there is more or less media (pleat count) or it has a different material or what have you. A lot of this most likely isn't going to be discovered by naked eye would be my bet given that most of the other observable aspects noted in this thread seem to remain constant.

And I am assuming this is still made at the same plant/manufacturer? Part numbers are sometimes altered to indicate source.

·
Registered
606 Posts
PN's get superceded all the time and is not difficult to do with computer inventory/ordering systems. Email Hyundai and ask them what those changes were. I just don't see anything when comparing what I remember from using the -03 to this -04. But, since its a cheap filter, one can only imagine what additional shortcuts were taken to keep it cheaper.

Flow vs filtration.... problem is that you get neither with discount cardboard media. Looks like a ton of media trying to make up for both flow and filtration.... A ton of skanks don't add up to make a good wife. A ton of cheap media is still a cheap filter.

Flow comes from the oil pump and should be non-issue with ANY filter used.

Particle counts on the -03 were pathetic. I doubt that the -04 is any better. There was just none of the soot in the media or canister when compared to aftermarket filters that have reasonable <25 micron ratings. What is the point of a filter that doesn't filter? or is a coarse filter at best?
So when will you be doing the flow test and the filtration test and post the data?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, I retired from two filter manufacturers and don't have lab access. Plus, I would have to buy another OE filter to test for filtration. I'll wait for the -05 PN when it comes out.
I don't an oil pump problem which provides flow. If the filter gets in the way, it'll bypass. Flow comes from the oil pump and not the filter.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I see both sides of this and thus have OEM and Fram XG9688 filters in stock. Toyota and Honda has used filters that are not efficient, but I see long lived 300,000+ Toyota and Honda engines. Is that due to the filter or engine design?

Honda OE filters made by FRAM are 65% @ 20 microns, they have 15 gram capacity and flow 10gpm
per Motorking, Tech Director of Fram.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ics/4622645/Re:_Honda_OEM_filters#Post4622645

Then there is the GM wear study Motorking referenced:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...67/Re:_Microns._What's_most_damag#Post4650767

From a 28 million dollar engine wear study
"Abrasive engine wear can be substantially reduced with an increase in filter SPE(MP). Compared to a 40 micron filter, engine wear was reduced by 50% with 30 micron filtration." (98% point) "Likewise, wear was reduced by 70% with 15 micron filtration." (SAE TPS 881825 p5 - David R. Staley, General Motors Corp. 1988)
Particles smaller than 10 microns remain suspended in the oil with little to no harm to engine bearings. 10-20 micron particles are the most damaging.
Based on that info I think I will stick with the XG9688 since flow is good and filtering is superior. I have confidence I can get all the filtering data, flow, etc by going through Motorking:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...62/Re:_What_makes_Fram_Ultra_spin#Post4356162

wow, just working really hard to bash it are we not? 99%@ particles greater than 20 microns means that 99%+ or all particles 20.1 microns in size are caught. If you want efficiency for a particular XG filter in 5, 10, 15 and 20 microns particles sizes, I will gladly supply it. WIX XP performance doesn't come close and the price is higher.
Will using a more efficient filter make a difference in having a trouble free ownership of my Elantra? Maybe not, but I will feel better giving my car what I perceive to be better than OEM. I am using better synthetic oil then the SM does not matter if synthetic requirement for the same reason.

I want to thank deadrx7conv for waking me up and making this forum interesting. :smile:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts