Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there were other Elantra 2004 owners that have experienced occasional erratic odometer operation. I took possession of my car on May 18/04 and have since experienced about 7 occasions when the odometer LCD didn't display the segments of a digit correctly. On 6 occasions, the top and two left segments of the tens digit didn't come on (only a very light background as opposed to the dark black segment). Most of the times, by cycling thru TRIP A and TRIP B modes and back to the Odometer, the problem went away. At least once, the problem persisted even after going thru the cycling procedure but it would eventually revert back to proper operation over time (later in the day, or by the following day). At a later date, the top left segment for the thousands digit suffered from the same problem but only once so far. I haven't experienced any problems for about a month now.

Has anyone experienced any similar problems. I have heard from the service manager at my dealer that other owners have reported similar problems and owners of Sante Fe have also experienced this problem. I've been trying to get Hyundai to admit there is a generic flaw (design and/or assembly related) and all they want to do is replaced the instrument cluster and for all I know, the replacement cluster is likely to suffer the exhibit the same problems if the generic flaw has not been addressed thru a redesign and/or change in assembly procedures.

Since the car needs to be tagged when the odometer is replaced since it will start at zero, I'm reluctant to have this service performed without any assurance that steps have been taken to fix the generic flaw.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has experienced similar problems and what course of action was taken and outcome.

Thanks and being new to this posting, greetings to everyone!

Michel

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am woundering if you have notice durring these time your odometer was not working, if there was a chance in the millage reading?

I know I have! I dont drive my Elantra half as much as i do my olds, and yet after a year and half I have 460000 miles on my Elantra.

And I have only put 250000 miles on my olds in the same amount of time.

I drive my olds all the time, to work, in bad weather, and to the store, I did that on purpose to save the miles on my Elantra.

So I began watching the odmeter when I drove the car, as I drove the odemeter read currectly, I did a distance comparison, using my oldsmobiles odometer, both showed same distance traveled.

How ever I noticed the odemeter on a ocasion, not on, and then when it did, a huge jump in millage.

MMMMM, G I wounder how they were able to put a 100,000 mile warrenty on the car?

Please contact me if you notice same problem.

Thanks Candi

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
the new speedo will start at "0"km, but the warranty ledger will have the correct km's on file, and a sticker will be placed in your service section of the owners manual.
It has been known that SOME clusters experience an electronic glitch, which is not unknown in the motor industry. you may find, that the temperature has an effect on the LCD, and last weeks -26°C must surely have had some display effect.
Have the dealer replace the speedo cluster.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It is also possible to have the cluster sent away to a gauge calibrator and have the old information re-entered into the cluster!

I think our workshop uses TRU-Speed who deal with VDO guages.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by candi@Dec 26 2004, 06:28 PM
I am woundering if you have notice durring these time your odometer was not working, if there was a chance in the millage reading?

I know I have!  I dont drive my Elantra half as much as i do my olds, and yet after a year and half I have 460000 miles on my Elantra.

I drive my olds all the time, to work, in bad weather, and to the store, I did that on purpose to save the miles on my Elantra.

So I began watching the odmeter when I drove the car, as I drove the odemeter read currectly, I did a distance comparison, using my oldsmobiles odometer, both showed same distance traveled.

How ever I noticed the odemeter on a ocasion, not on, and then when it did, a huge jump in millage.

MMMMM, G I wounder how they were able to put a 100,000 mile warrenty on the car?

Thanks Candi
[snapback]4070[/snapback]​

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by candi@Dec 26 2004, 06:28 PM

I know I have!  I dont drive my Elantra half as much as i do my olds, and yet after a year and half I have 460000 miles on my Elantra.

Thanks Candi
[snapback]4070[/snapback]​

Hi Candi,

Other than some segments of the LCD Odometer behaving erractically on occasion, the Odometer seems to be displaying the correct mileage. There has been no stoppage and sudden jump as you have reported.

Regards,

Michel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by duke@Dec 27 2004, 12:16 AM
the new speedo will start at "0"km, but the warranty ledger will have the correct km's on file, and a sticker will be placed in your service section of the owners manual.
It has been known that SOME clusters experience an electronic glitch, which is not unknown in the motor industry. you may find, that the temperature has an effect on the LCD, and last weeks -26°C must surely have had some display effect.
Have the dealer replace the speedo cluster.
[snapback]4077[/snapback]​

Thanks Duke for your response. If SOME clusters are known to experience an electronic glitch, what is the likelihood that the replacement cluster will suffer from the same problems? Are replacement clusters generally put to a more stringent set of tests (better quality control) to ensure that they aren't susceptible to these electronic glitches?

W.r.t. the cold temperature effecting the LCD Odometer in my car that doesn't seem to be a related problem. The erractic problems associated with specific segments (where the active segments turn to very light gray as opposed to the proper dark black) manifested themselves on warm days during the first occurences which took place from May to August '04. Following the first service on the car on Sept. 15/04, there were no problems observed from Sept. 15 to Nov. 15/04, then the problem manifested itself almost everyday for about one week and went away again. Everything worked fine even during the colder spelled that you refererd to. Yesterday and this morning, the problem with the tens digit manifested itself. It seems to happen in a cluster then goes away!

At my next service appointment I plan to request that the instrument cluster be replaced although I have no confidence level that the replacement instrument cluster won't exhibit the same problems if the design, batch of components and/or assembly procedures haven't been modified so as to prevent these electronic glitches from occuring.

Regards,

Michel

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
In today’s electronic age, anything can happen. The manufactures try to foresee all kinds of problems/malfunctions, and update productions of their components all the time, result of product information feedback.

BTW, like any auto manufacturer does, a supplier produces the speedo cluster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts