Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased new Moog front sway bar links from Rock Auto and installed them yesterday, but had a surprising situation. The left link was made in Korea but the right one came from Mexico and was different. It had grease nipples top and bottom, 18mm vs. 17mm nuts, and large “back nuts” to keep the joint from turning. But the biggest difference, and the reason for this post, is the rod was noticeably larger. It’s about the size of my index finger vs. my little finger like the left one and the one I replaced. This different link fit fine and the larger back nut actually made installation easier.

I want to know if this difference presents a problem of any kind. I suspect it’s probably not a critical issue but I‘m not certain. I’ve read sway bars help keep the SUV stable (turns and bumps I guess) so I need to know if I should change the different one immediately, soon, or not at all. A short test drive went well.

P.S. I installed the different link because it was my final task and I was “done” with this job. I’m 72, no power tools, rusted old nuts (not mine, the ones on the bad links :) ) had the SF on jack stands for two days, and wanted to be finished. I will be contacting Rock Auto for a replacement.

Thanks for helping me.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,574 Posts
Would not be acceptable to me
When changing parts, one should always compare the old part with the new one to make sure it is right
Sometimes it is worth the little extra cost of going to an auto parts store and actually be able to see the parts first before paying for them

Yes, I understand the feeling of having the vehicle up on stands and just wanting to get it "done" and over with.
Guessing the difference was due to where they were made.
Although they should meet the requirements of the vehicle, I would not be too happy.

Good luck to you
And hope you are able to get it resolved

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Avisitor, thanks for your reply and you're correct in that I should have opened each box beforehand and I would have seen the difference. But I didn't. I did check that part #s against my order, mainly to note left and right sides. Never expected two different products, especially from RA.

But my question remains. Is my SF safe to drive? I do plan on replacing the odd link, but want to know how urgent this is.

Thanks again.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
I purchased new Moog front sway bar links from Rock Auto and installed them yesterday, but had a surprising situation. The left link was made in Korea but the right one came from Mexico and was different. It had grease nipples top and bottom, 18mm vs. 17mm nuts, and large “back nuts” to keep the joint from turning. But the biggest difference, and the reason for this post, is the rod was noticeably larger. It’s about the size of my index finger vs. my little finger like the left one and the one I replaced. This different link fit fine and the larger back nut actually made installation easier.

The larger one is probably the better one. So long as the lengths are correct and they fit you are good. The zerks are just a manufacturing thing.

I want to know if this difference presents a problem of any kind. I suspect it’s probably not a critical issue but I‘m not certain. I’ve read sway bars help keep the SUV stable (turns and bumps I guess) so I need to know if I should change the different one immediately, soon, or not at all. A short test drive went well.

Only a problem when they break. Visual inspection and hand twisting helps detect any problems.

P.S. I installed the different link because it was my final task and I was “done” with this job. I’m 72, no power tools, rusted old nuts (not mine, the ones on the bad links :) ) had the SF on jack stands for two days, and wanted to be finished. I will be contacting Rock Auto for a replacement.

Not necessary. You'll be fine.

Thanks for helping me.

Reactions: DSHornet

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
grcauto, Thank you so much for taking time to address my questions/concerns. It's exactly what I needed and glad to know you think I'll be fine. Really appreciate it!

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
grcauto, Thank you so much for taking time to address my questions/concerns. It's exactly what I needed and glad to know you think I'll be fine. Really appreciate it!
You are welcome.
BTW (by the way) I turned 65 today. Recently sold my shop and moved from PA back to my hometown of Flint, MI. Been in the business since 1970.
Us old timers need to stick together. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We took a road trip this afternoon to visit grandchildren and their parents and it was a pleasure to ride with a quiet, solid feeling front end for a change. Eventually I may change out the larger than expected link, but for now all is well.

Thanks again for help and advice. I'll report how Rock Auto responds to my issue.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,574 Posts
It is surprising to me that Moog parts are made elsewhere
I seem to remember a big deal was made about Moog being made in the USA.

Anyway, they are made to the requirements of the vehicle and should work out fine.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
It is surprising to me that Moog parts are made elsewhere
I seem to remember a big deal was made about Moog being made in the USA.

Anyway, they are made to the requirements of the vehicle and should work out fine.
Moog was the go to for suspension parts. Some time ago they did like many companies and moved things out of the US due to taxation and regulations. They became like most other suppliers. Lower quality to keep the prices down so they could compete. here in Flint I've seen what liberalism can do to drive out business and destroy an economy. Look at Detroit. Several square miles of homes that are abandoned or condemned. No more good paying factory jobs and poverty abounds. This is what 50 years of liberal policies have done. It's starting to bounce back now that we had some conservative government starting to bring back jobs and with Trumps new tax cuts and pro growth policies and less regulation GM is building another plant here about 5 miles from where I live.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
What is the condition of that ginormous Fisher Body plant in Flint? I took a brief tour of it back in the 70's. That was one of the biggest plants I've ever seen.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
What is the condition of that ginormous Fisher Body plant in Flint? I took a brief tour of it back in the 70's. That was one of the biggest plants I've ever seen.

It's been through it's paces. Not even sure how much of the building(s) are left. Haven't been around there since coming back to Flint in March. Liberalism has decimated the auto industry as well as the UAW. Long story.
Trump's policies have gotten GM to come back a bit. They are building a new facility down from where I'm currently living. The elections here locally will tell the real story. If we get one of the progressives in as Governor and Lansing doesn't get more conservative GM will shut it down again. They have made their decisions well know with the exception of the newspapers and local news do not report it. They say if we vote for the conservatives they will be building more and stay in Michigan. I just pray the people have the due diligence to find the truth. Liberalism destroys. Detroit and Genesee county are proff.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts

It's been through it's paces. Not even sure how much of the building(s) are left. Haven't been around there since coming back to Flint in March. Liberalism and the UAW have decimated the auto industry. Long story.
Trump's policies have gotten GM to come back a bit. They are building a new facility down from where I'm currently living. The elections here locally will tell the real story. If we get one of the progressives in as Governor and Lansing doesn't get more conservative GM will shut it down again. They have made their decisions well know with the exception of the newspapers and local news do not report it. They say if we vote for the conservatives they will be building more and stay in Michigan. I just pray the people have the due diligence to find the truth. Liberalism destroys. Detroit and Genesee county are proof.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
For your sake and that of your neighbors, let's hope things continue as they're now going. We have Hyundai, Honda, Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota engine plant, and soon a joint venture plant with Toyota and Mazda. Kia is in LaGrange, GA, and VW in Chattanooga, TN. As much as we enjoy seeing the auto plants build here and expand seemingly almost every three years or so, you need to make a living too.

Who knows? Maybe you'll move south. Look me up and I'll teach you to speak Southern with a Midwest accent. :)

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
For your sake and that of your neighbors, let's hope things continue as they're now going. We have Hyundai, Honda, Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota engine plant, and soon a joint venture plant with Toyota and Mazda. Kia is in LaGrange, GA, and VW in Chattanooga, TN. As much as we enjoy seeing the auto plants build here and expand seemingly almost every three years or so, you need to make a living too.

I'm retired but I know plenty of people here who need good jobs. I know people down there need them too.

Who knows? Maybe you'll move south. Look me up and I'll teach you to speak Southern with a Midwest accent. :)
I'll settle for some grits and gravy....>:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts