Hyundai Forums banner

161 - 177 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Still haven't got recalls completed, Dealer said parts were in 12/5/2011 scheduled appointment, sat in waiting room for an hour and was finally told "wrong" parts came in. Received phone call that parts would be in 12/22/2011, nope didn't happen, now it's 1/5/2012 date, nope no parts. Is this Hyundai or is it the dealer. Either way the confidence level is dropping daily. Should have waited for the Camry.
Your dealer is incompetent. Take it to a different dealer. My dealer Hyundai of Lansing has been incredible.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Mine has been outstanding too. Jenkins Hyundai in Leesburg, Florida. They have given me loaner cars to go grab something to eat while my car has been serviced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Once I contacted Hyundai of America the part was miraculously received by the dealer the next day and has been installed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Once I got about 5 recalls done on my Hyundai, the ride is sooo much better, and the gas milage went up!! My title was salvage, but the dealer did it anyway. Get your recalls done!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got the recalls done in October and have noticed that my mpg has went down. The more troubling issue for me though is that since the update I have noticed a few times that the battery will charge up and the car will not kick into EV mode. Today it did it again and after two miles of the car topping off the battery I finally disabled cruise that was set at around 57mph in order to get the car to go into EV mode. Has anyone else had this issue? Again this started after the October recall updates. Before them the car ran perfect.

I am in Northwest Ohio where hills really do not exist. All driving is done on flat roads.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Just, part of your fuel economy is probably due to the winter blend of gas there. Things will probably change once the summer blend comes back. keep an eye on that!

I've noticed that sometimes I need to lift my foot from the gas pedal in order to get the car to upshift and into EV mode. I don't know why either but it seems to work more often than not.

Chuck

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just13d,

take a look at http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/135644-cold-weather-driving.html thread. A few of us have reported the same battery behaviour in the colder weather. I don't know what your temps have been like in OHIO but in NJ we have been in the 30's or lower most mornings. I notice that I get to full power on the SOC when the temps are below 36F. And nothing I do can trigger EV. Even in spots I know it normally comes on at.

But like Chuck says, sometimes you can back off the accelerator and get EV to kick in. But for me depending on the temp, it is sometimes pointless as even the slightest touch turns ICE back on again.

I too have not hit my best mpg since having the updates done, but we got hit with the colder weather right after I had it done.

Lets hope the ground hog doesn't see his shadow and we can get to an early spring. I am still averaging 34-35mpg since purchase in 08/11 with ~5500 miles. Just hating the few 32mpg tank fulls I turned in with the extreme cold.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just13d,

take a look at http://www.hyundai-forums.com/229-sonata-yf-hybrid/135644-cold-weather-driving.html thread. A few of us have reported the same battery behaviour in the colder weather. I don't know what your temps have been like in OHIO but in NJ we have been in the 30's or lower most mornings. I notice that I get to full power on the SOC when the temps are below 36F. And nothing I do can trigger EV. Even in spots I know it normally comes on at.

But like Chuck says, sometimes you can back off the accelerator and get EV to kick in. But for me depending on the temp, it is sometimes pointless as even the slightest touch turns ICE back on again.

I too have not hit my best mpg since having the updates done, but we got hit with the colder weather right after I had it done.

Lets hope the ground hog doesn't see his shadow and we can get to an early spring. I am still averaging 34-35mpg since purchase in 08/11 with ~5500 miles. Just hating the few 32mpg tank fulls I turned in with the extreme cold.

Thanks for the info I am going to take a look at it now. This AM I noticed that the battery got topped off this morning and instead of going straight into EV mode it used both battery and engine to power the car. Again this is with the CC set about 57mph. After it went down to about 3/4 charge it charged back up and went to its normal cycle.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
I got my best mileage right after the updates. They were done as soon as they came out so I had a few weeks of driving on them before the cold weather. I probably won't see those numbers again until late spring.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks for the info I am going to take a look at it now. This AM I noticed that the battery got topped off this morning and instead of going straight into EV mode it used both battery and engine to power the car. Again this is with the CC set about 57mph. After it went down to about 3/4 charge it charged back up and went to its normal cycle.
Was the engine fully warmed up ? Mine only seems to give "EV milage" when the temp gauge is at its max number of bars. Excess energy is being stored while warming the engine unfortunately there are mpg losses. I suspect it has something to do with emissions since the Prius acts similarly and the explanation offered at PriusChat is "warming for the cat converter."
I seem to be down in MPG by about 10-15% for cold weather use. I wish I could get my car into the garage to give it a warmer start. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Was the engine fully warmed up ? Mine only seems to give "EV milage" when the temp gauge is at its max number of bars. Excess energy is being stored while warming the engine unfortunately there are mpg losses. I suspect it has something to do with emissions since the Prius acts similarly and the explanation offered at PriusChat is "warming for the cat converter."
I seem to be down in MPG by about 10-15% for cold weather use. I wish I could get my car into the garage to give it a warmer start. :rolleyes:

Yes I have noticed that it acts this way till the engine is warm. once the engine is warm then it resumes its normal function.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On the issue of the recalls being fixed and MPG going down... when ours were done (after getting the card in the mail), we noticed a very tough time getting better than 30mpg. We went back for our oil change about 45 days later, and mentioned it, service dept said that they heard of another complaint and they would fix it. Afterwards, I asked about it, and (I might get the details a little wrong but if I recall correctly) they said that sometimes when it [the ECU?] is flashed, it can reset all the configurations. They said they went and re-flashed everything, and that should fix the low mpg issue. It did seem to fix it, we were back up around 40-45 again.

And while dealers are getting good mentions, I have to say that McCarthy Hyundai in Olathe KS has done a great job. We have had great experiences with the service department, and overall loved the 2011 base hybrid. We were a little disappointed with the fact that we were sold on a base instead of looking for a premium/ultimate, and we regretted that every day since... I sent the dealership an email about that though, and they made it right. They put us in a 2012 ultimate for the same price as we would have paid if we had gotten it initially, and just brought the new one home yesterday. Completely happy now, even if a little confused with some of the touchscreen and BlueLink functions lol...

·
Registered
660 Posts
Good evening all! forgive me if I touch on some things that you may have discussed in my absence. I have had a couple of things happen recently and I wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues. First is the backup camera. I have been getting blue screens, black screens, rolling video and scrolling video. It's not all the time but maybe 10% of the time any more.

Issue number two is that recently I was checking out the display because something didn't look right. I was driving on town streets at low speeds which should have had maybe a 40% charge or so on the battery. The "Ready" display was flashing and the charge showed that it was around 80% and the engine was running. The car would not change over to running on battery until I stopped, shut the engine off and restarted the car. Once that happened it went back to normal.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have had it happen two or three times. It's not frequent but it has been strange. I have around 28,000 miles on the car now.

Thanks in advance!

Chuck

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good evening all! forgive me if I touch on some things that you may have discussed in my absence. I have had a couple of things happen recently and I wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues...

Issue number two is that recently I was checking out the display because something didn't look right. I was driving on town streets at low speeds which should have had maybe a 40% charge or so on the battery. The "Ready" display was flashing and the charge showed that it was around 80% and the engine was running. The car would not change over to running on battery until I stopped, shut the engine off and restarted the car. Once that happened it went back to normal.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have had it happen two or three times. It's not frequent but it has been strange. I have around 28,000 miles on the car now.

Thanks in advance!

Chuck
Chuck sounds like the same problems most of us had before the software/service updates. Look at the old post from about 1 year ago.
I would tell your service person. Make sure you have all of the updates to your car's brain. Get checked and corrected asap.
Take Care

·
Registered
660 Posts
I just posted what was repaired in my post about issues with my HSH. It turned out to be a switch on the shifter to the transmission was bad. It makes sense that it could possibly impact the backup camera too if it was confused and didn't know which gear it was in. I had all of the upgrades installed long ago. I will keep you all informed if anything else happens. I have to say that the dealership did a great job of taking care of the car and me.

Chuck

161 - 177 of 177 Posts