Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once or twice a week my car doesn't want to start. I think it is usually the second or third time I start it from the first cold start. Like I start it up leaving work and then go a couple of miles to the Whole Foods and then come out and it starts and is running but at a very low rpm and then maybe stalls or sometimes will come up to normal idle with tap on the pedal. I kill the engine at long lights so sometimes it happens then. Rarely does it cut out completely but it is annoying. It has happened pretty much since new but it was only maybe three or four times a year the first year.

I now have close to 97K miles and will be swapping out the plugs sometime soon, I bought them already with help from this great site. It was such an intermittent problem I never went into the dealer and now it's out of warranty. It is really no big deal but it's not right. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine does the same thing, i have the push button start and sometimes it will sputter like you said and occasionally it will just die and need restarted. It also sometimes takes a few cranks to get it to fire up after that. It's a rare occurrence though, like once every 6-9 months perhaps, so I haven't thought too much about it because it always has fired back up and ran fine.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly what I am talking about. Restarting sometimes required. Sometimes not sure if it needs to be recranked or not. I wonder if the dealers have any input on this? It's time to get my mileage recorded at the dealer anyway to get my Hyundai CC recharged so I'll ask while I'm at it.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Throttle position sensor or crank position sensor are two random guesses. Might be a code stored if you have a reader.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had this problem twice, I just turned the key to off and back to start and she starts right away. Usually sputtering starts is a problem I have with my wife but that's another story. 97k miles, may be it's time for a tune up and clean those injectors.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
You might also want to check the throttle body. Could be time for a cleaning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts