Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought two 5 quart jugs of Federated Auto Parts (made by Amalie) synthetic blend 5w20 and 5w30 today, one each. From what I've gathered Amalie makes good quality oil, as good as more popular brands. He says it contains 10% synthetic oil.

I asked them what oil filter they have for my '14 Elantra 1.8L and they showed it to me, made by Pronto. The price for all of it? $28.48 with tax. The oil is on sale for $10.99 each and the filters are only $2.06 each every day. Can you believe that? They look like a well made filter and I think I might run this combination from now on.

$15 oil changes with synthetic blend.
Can't beat that.
I have some Fram PH9688 oil filters on the way to me.
I might as well hoard up a few grand worth of oil and filters again, LOL.
If I live to be 135 I'll be able to use it all up.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Joeseph,I was going to keep my big trap shut,but,I cannot,especially when I see someone that wants to take care of their car.

With cheaper oils on modern engines you will get more deposits than you would with the better oils. As far as your oil filter,this is the only time I would recommend the oem Hyundai oil filter. Cheap $2 filters have been known to stay in bypass mode most of the time which means you are getting unfiltered oil. That filter is probably worth 50 cents.Do you really want that on your car?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Joeseph,I was going to keep my big trap shut,but,I cannot,especially when I see someone that wants to take care of their car.

With cheaper oils on modern engines you will get more deposits than you would with the better oils. As far as your oil filter,this is the only time I would recommend the oem Hyundai oil filter. Cheap $2 filters have been known to stay in bypass mode most of the time which means you are getting unfiltered oil. That filter is probably worth 50 cents.Do you really want that on your car?
I have doubts I can take what you say seriously.
You seen opinionated as well as uninformed.
Cheap $2 filter?
It may appear that way to you at first glance.

You're part of a group who thinks the more you spend on oil, the better it is and the better your engine will be but there are people all over these forums who prove otherwise.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pro High Performance Synthetic Blend
Amalie PRO High Performance Synthetic Blend Motor Oils are formulated with new and more robust engine oil chemistry combined with an optimum level of high quality synthetic and first quality mineral base stocks to provide outstanding engine protection for severe driving situations, including high-stress competition engine applications. Amalie PRO High Performance Synthetic Blend Motor Oils offer superior engine protection for both gasoline and diesel engines - even those that are turbocharged or super-charged. These high performance motor oils are engineered and formulated to meet API SN/CF - ILSAC GF-5 and meets most European ACEA specifications. These oils are also formulated to exceed the standard for the Thermal Engine Oil Stability Test (TEOST MHT) and the Ford M2C 930-A, which supersedes M2C153-H requirements. These high quality motor oils also help to provide better emission control, increased fuel economy and reduced engine wear and piston deposits. They are designed to lubricate and protect well outside of the range of conventional motor oils and are compatible with a variety of different fuels including competition fuels. Week in and week out Amalie PRO High Performance Synthetic Blend Motor Oils withstand the brutal pounding of professional top fuel racing. These high performance motor oils exceed the stringent lubricating performance requirements of American, European, Korean, Japanese and other worldwide engine manufacturers.

Amalie - ProHPer-AMALIE

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I have doubts I can take what you say seriously.
You seen opinionated as well as uninformed.
Cheap $2 filter?
It may appear that way to you at first glance.

You're part of a group who thinks the more you spend on oil, the better it is and the better your engine will be but there are people all over these forums who prove otherwise.
Anything I say about maintenance,you can take to the bank that I am serious about it.Opinionated? Maybe to a point. Uninformed? You are dead wrong there. Cheap two dollar filters? Without a doubt.You will pay for that down the road. Please post when at some point your timing chain or other internal components fail. It will not be if........but..........when.

Sorry I tried to help,should have stayed with my gut feeling.Good luck.Last post from me on this.

Reactions: Joseph Rz

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Since your changing your oil every 2,000 miles you may be fine. The lower cost filters do not have as much holding capacity.

I think it is important for you to do what you feel is best. I know I changed my oil 3 times in 7.5k since it was the right thing to do. Since you have the Fram filters on the way I think I would use them as your go to filter. They have had a lot of testing and design tailored to our engines.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sorry I tried to help,should have stayed with my gut feeling.Good luck.Last post from me on this.
That's OK, thanks but it's frustrating when you act on the opinions of many people online and then someone bashes you for buying "cheap oil" and "cheap $2 oil filters that are bound to destroy your engine".

What I think I'll do is run the Fram PH9688 and the Federated Synth blend oil. I may or may not take the Federated oil filters back. They may be a decent filter but there is more info about the PH9688 so I have more faith in those.

I have a hard time believing this Federated oil filter would cause the engine to break down. That sounds far fetched. If I install it and do not get dry starts or other issues, I sure doubt it will cause engine failure. People who do regular oil & filter changes do not have engine breakdowns such as you mentioned. That sounds like scare mongering to me, or fear mongering. The people who have these breakdowns are people who 1) do not change their oil & filters, not people who use Federated Auto Parts oil and filters. Federated Auto Parts have a good track record for selling quality parts, not cheap junk that causes engine breakdowns.
But there are always people who feel anything less expensive than Valvoline is "cheap oil", when it's all made by the same major oil producers anyway. It's SN rated and 5w20. Those are the only specs I need. I don't need $5 a quart motor oil.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since your changing your oil every 2,000 miles you may be fine. The lower cost filters do not have as much holding capacity.
FWIW, the Federated oil filter weighs over 10 ounces and the Purolator 14459 weighs 8.9 ounces. They're both the same size and look almost identical. The Purolator I think sells for about $6.50 each. I have it left over from my '09 Accent HB. The Elantra takes the same oil filter.

I could try one of the Federated filters and if I get any issues I could change filters to a Fram PH9688 (or the Purolator 14459) without draining the oil and just top off the oil. I ran Purolator Classic and PureONE in my Sentra many times with no issues. Then I ran Federated oil filters that were made by Hastings. Then Federated changed filter makers and I didn't like the looks of them any more, but now their filters are made by Pronto and are supposedly much better quality, (and they look it) as comparable to the Hastings made filters.

I still have 6 Federated LF240F (made by Hastings) filters left from my Sentra.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
People have said on these forums (and I agree), that they've never heard of an oil related engine failure and I assume that may also apply to oil filters. I'd hate to find out the hard way but if an oil filter seems to be causing noises, it can easily be replaced with a better filter. I'd never run an oil filter if I thought it wasn't functioning well.
I don't listen to the radio much when I drive any more, I pay attention to the sound of the car and the traffic.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They say some cheap oil filters can fall apart and cause filter material to flow in the oil and clog up the channel that sends oil to the timing chain, and cause timing chain failure. That would be a bad scene.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Joseph Rz,

My only concern with the Pronto is the quote I posted by the Fram Tech Director I posted here:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/md-2011-2016-elantra-sedan-coupe/615217-oem-oil-filters-best-4.html

Using "low cost region" filters on these engines may cost you an engine if you are not careful.
Not sure if Pronto is what he is talking about, but if you read the full quote from Motorking it puts light on why (according to him) you have to be careful about certain filters.

I don't have a problem with the oil. Oil is regulated and has to meet certain standards. Oil filters can be tricky. Looks good vs performance can vary greatly.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'll take the Federated oil filters back. They may be a very good little filter but I'll run the Fram or even an OEM.

BTW, they spoke bad things about Fram and Purolator filters down there, LOL.
No surprise about that. I get the feeling they want to sell more oil filters.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
You had a Sentra. I bought my 93 Sentra used at a Mitsu Dealership. They gave me free oil changes every 3,000 miles. I just needed to provide the oil filter. Bought the cheapest filter at the Auto Parts stores with no problems for 100k. Brand? Never cared. Just bought based on price.

What I am finding with Hyundai motors they are more picky.

Yeah, oil filters you will get a lot of opinions. I found out a long time ago to not get my oil filter and oil choice advice from the counter person at Autozone, etc. I was lucky if they gave me the proper parts I needed. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I take that back. You're probably well informed if you're here.
Sorry, I was kind of frustrated by information overload.
I have found Airforce1 and deadrx7conv to be a wealth of info. When they post I listen. There are a lot of helpful people here. My favorite is sbr711. A Tech that shares. Priceless!

·
Registered
130 Posts
This forum provides valuable information and of course the right to express an opinion.

However the problem with all forums is sorting out fact from fiction and in relation to the oil and oil filter issues, I will express my opinion and hopefully my views will not upset people.

If the oil being used confirms with specification and that includes the oil viscosity for the operating conditions as stated in the owners manual there should not be any problems.

Oil filters unlike engine oil does not conform to an international standard and unless the filters in various reviews have been tested to OEM requirements in a controlled and certified lab by qualified people I would choose to stick with OEM filters during the warranty period.

Outside the warranty I would use Mann filters and in 26 years of use on various cars including Volvos and have never had an issue. Be aware that some filters have drain valve issues.

In closing go with what your happy with after all it is your engine.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Nothing special about the OE Hyundai filter. Many better ones out there.
I am not concerned about OE Hyundai filter being special. I am more concerned about the lowest price jobber filter being inadequate.

There may be many better ones out there, but are they necessary? It seems Honda and Toyota OEM filters are nothing special (but somehow people go 200k+ using them with no problems).

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
There will always be a worse performing filter out there. While I look for cost savings on filters why go with the cheapest you can get? Use a good quality long life filter (20k miles) and double or triple your filter change interval.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Use a good quality long life filter (20k miles) and double or triple your filter change interval.
So...are you saying you change oil and not the filter?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts