Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best OBII CAN code reader and scanner for Hyundai Accent 2008?
That can read Transmission code, Engine code?

Under $200

TIA

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
don't get hung up on getting the best. if it reads the codes and erases them, you don't really need much more than that. its rare that the freeze frame data is even going to help you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll been having lately misfire on idle and acceleration and i get the engine light.. I got code reader and scan tool from china and its doesn't pic up the code, it say MIL off... no code and yes the scan tool is OBII CAN

The misfire usually doesn't stay long.. its come back to Normal withing the hours

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
ok then yes you need a new code reader. working would be part of the selection criteria for any tool :p

since you're in canada too, have a CT out where you are? they often put the code scanners out there on sale....there are some cheaper ones and some are pretty good. i bought a midrange one there years back (doesn't do CAN due to when i got it) and it gives me a description of the code on screen as well.

next step is to troubleshoot for misfires. get that new code scanner first which is what it sounds like you're up to. plenty of people here including myself would be happy to help hunt the problem down.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I'm not big on the CT Equus products, have had them in past.

For general obd11 stuff I use a $35 princess autotel unit which gives code description on board without using a code book.

For abs and airbag can enabled I like the autotel 619 I mentioned ; I don't want my laptop out in the garage with a dongle setup. It doesn't program TPMS sensors but seems to do transmission codes which is also helpful.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Like zero was saying, you don't want to buy more than you need, these units go out of date .

The chepo autotel I like the best and gets used the most.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Are you talking about that MS609? I was intrigued, so I looked that one up on Amazon to see any reviews. There were two: both one-star. Cause for concern, at the least.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ms609 Obd2 Eobd Diagnostic Scan Tool

Packing this unit up to shipped back as I type. It was supposed to be the "new" and latest version of the MS509. Spent almost two weeks trying to do the "Program" updates it said I needed to do and connect to a vehicle. I did eventually update the files, but it still would not come out of the "Program updates" mode. So I sought help, but there is absolutely no technical support to be had for this unit available in the U.S. The tech support contact is where it is manufactured - China. I did try anyway via email as directed, but no responses. I tried to contact them through Amazon, no response. There is an Autel U.S.A. and I did speak with a representative, but they told me they are separate from the "overseas" branch and did not have any information on the MS609.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Like zero was saying, you don't want to buy more than you need, these units go out of date .

The chepo autotel I like the best and gets used the most.
really we can sit here for days talking about what we like and what we don't. this is the point i was trying to make here. any code scanner is better than nothing. if it works, who cares? my old equis "crap" scanner has served me well for quite a few years now and i have no complaints.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Actually mine still worked but looking up codes not in book then having to use internet was awkward.

Some of the other cheaply ones had the on board ability to give you a decent description; so getting this feature on the first unit you buy I thought would be handy. princess auto also great for warranty/exchange if you have problems ....Crappy T not so much.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
funny, i've had good experience with both. but then with CT i find that it does depend on the store. a huge chunk of my tools are mastercraft and the maximum line. i am so cheap :p

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got the memoscan U581 from china and doesn't read hyndai accent code..

My misfire got worse , so i decide to put new plug tonight, $16 for 4 CHAMPION RC12YC copper plus), they are gap @ 0.035

and the my old one in the car were NGK BKR5ES and gap more then 0.050 and the electrode was used at a 15 degree angle....

They say on the web that the CHAMPION RC12YC run more hotter then the CHAMPION RC10YC4 from hyundai recommend ..

Anyway i'll keep you updated...

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Cyclinder misfire if plugs and wires were changed , could be intake manifold gasket problem.

Spray around where it joins engine with wd40 or enen starter spray, iidle speeding up means there is a leak.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since the spark plug was change yesterday, no misfire so far..

I did order the Autel Maxiscan MS300, just a code reader but still a good thing to have

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Updated:

I didn't have any more misfire after i put in CHAMPION RC12YC copper plus(hot plug) and re-gap to 0.044 and still no misfire :)

I did receive my Autel MS300 code reader, only way to test it , i had to put back in my old spark plug and came up with code P 304 ( cylinder 4 misfire) . So my MS300 work great..

Next i bought 4 NGK BKR5ES-11 (Hyundai recommended)and gap them at 0.044.

So everything work great now better spark plug and a nice coder reader for $20

Thanks for the help guys :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts