Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never used a scan tool before and want to give one a try with my 2012 Accent.

1) Any recommended models to get, or to avoid (found a bunch of inexpensive ones on Amazon).

2) OBD2 with USB recommended, and if so is there good Mac software for this? I don't mind looking up codes on the Internet, but wondering if connecting car to laptop will give more info.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
Scan tool depends upon the level of access to car's computer system you want.
Simple code readers go for $40 to $80 dollars
Better go for a few hundred dollars
And might be able to see live data and access to ABS
Cheapest good scan tool might be Autel
That is around a $1000 dollars
Snap on's Verus scan tool can go for $10,000 dollars or more
They are the professional one with graphing volt meter and all sorts of neat stuff

But, for most of us who would maybe use a scan tool once or twice, can not justify spending that much money
And then there are the accessories to those scan tools which add a few hundred dollars more.

Personally, I bought a cheap code reader and look up code on the internet
Been looking at better ones but don't want to spend so much money.

Your search may turn up something better.
Good luck

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,844 Posts
If you have a smart phone the Torque app works great along with the Advanced EX for Hyundai plug in. These are around $15 total. Apple phones need a wifi OBDII adapter and Android use Bluetooth. Cheap OBD adapters are iffy but usually provide some good data just slow. Excellent OBD daters are around $50-$60 but are much faster in reporting.

As far as viewing and saving the data Torque is great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a BAFX Bluetooth OBDii reader off amazon for $22 bucks 3 days ago than downloaded Torque Pro for $5. I had a starting issue but no check engine light. I plugged it in and it showed no codes, but once I had the starting issues again with it plugged in it threw a P0335. If you're looking for a cheap way to read codes go with what I did, you can read literally every sensor on your car in realtime. It's not just an obd reader, it's everything in one for $28.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts