Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I was trying to buy a code scanner for my car, its a 2001 Hyundai Sonata. But i have no ideal its eight OBD0, OBD1 or OBD2. Can anyone please help me? And is there any scanner that you guys would recommend? Dont need to a too professional one. Many Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Guys

I was trying to buy a code scanner for my car, its a 2001 Hyundai Sonata. But i have no ideal its eight OBD0, OBD1 or OBD2. Can anyone please help me? And is there any scanner that you guys would recommend? Dont need to a too professional one. Many Thanks!
I would say OBD2 since your car was manufactured after 1996. My Sonata is a 2004 and it is an OBD2. Look just under the dash to the right of the steering column and just above the foot petal.

I was thinking of posting a similar question such as you have above and was wondering too what people use to monitor their engine/transmission as they are driving down the road versus doing garage diagnostics.
In my case, I have a Ford diesel truck so I spent 400+ bucks to monitor the vitals on it as i go down the road but I also have a Torque Pro that I can use on my 2004 Sonata for a total outlay of around 25 bucks; 5 for the app (Android) and around 20 for the OBD2 bluetooth reader, which you can get on Ebay or Amazon (but beware of clones/knockoffs). Large range of price and options between the two. Both have their advantages/disadvantages but for everyday ease of use and being the most economical, using an Android phone (or tablet) with the Torque Pro serves my purposes. You can do fault scans on the Torque Pro too and clear engine codes which I find very useful.

For regular garage type diagnostics including SRS, ABS, AT (automatic transmission), as well as Engine, and to be able to reset to turn off the dash indicators, I have an Autel (AL629) and the cost of it was around 150 bucks a couple of years ago. It is convenient in that it can be easily setup and used on a multitude of makes and models of vehicles. It has paid for itself several times over.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your answers, very appreciated! I'm from New Zealand, dont really sure if they use the same system. Cause last time i bought a bluetooth OBD2 on amazon i think its call "bluedriver LSB2 ", it just does not work at all. That's why i got very confused, thought my car might need a older version of scanner. But ill take your advises and have a try.

·
Registered
12,672 Posts
I don't know about New Zealand but we have a few folk on the forum from Australia and I'm sure they have said that cars in OZ didn't become OBD2 compliant until much later than North America & Europe...2006/7 I think. I wouldn't be surprised if New Zealand was the same.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't know about New Zealand but we have a few folk on the forum from Australia and I'm sure they have said that cars in OZ didn't become OBD2 compliant until much later than North America & Europe...2006/7 I think. I wouldn't be surprised if New Zealand was the same.
Bouncing off of this, my recommendations are to get a Bluetooth OBD/2 scanner if you have an Android device and WiFi if you have an iOS device. Both work better for the respective device. If you're using a computer/laptop that has both Bluetooth and WiFi, you can go for either! I've used the same WiFi OBD2 with iPads, iPhones, and MacBooks over the years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks guys for your answers, very appreciated! I'm from New Zealand, dont really sure if they use the same system. Cause last time i bought a bluetooth OBD2 on amazon i think its call "bluedriver LSB2 ", it just does not work at all. That's why i got very confused, thought my car might need a older version of scanner. But ill take your advises and have a try.
Oh is that so? Bluedriver is one of the best and not so expensive obd2 scanner.

I also use a 2001 Sonata GLS. I use a Vgate I Car Pro with the Torque Pro app from playstore. And it works perfect. Gives me accurate fault codes. And can clear them after fixing fault as well

·
Registered
12,672 Posts
Oh is that so? Bluedriver is one of the best and not so expensive obd2 scanner.
Yes, I'm sure it works great when the car is OBD2 compliant. But I don't think the OP's car is. None of these cheap generic OBD2 tools are going to work on his car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts