Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys i'm newbies..need some help here about the o/d button function. if there already topic about this could u all give me the link. i could not find it.
Thank you..really appreciated for those who are answering.. :liebe011:

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
:00000732:

Overdrive is automotive technical speak for top gear. When the Overdrive is off, the transmission will only shift as high as third gear but will not shift into 4th. This is useful when descending long grades or when driving around town and keeping the transmission from shifting up too often will prevent wear and tear. The shift patterns according to the selection made are below.

Overdrive On: 1-2-3-4
Overdrive Off: 1-2-3

Hopefully this answers your question. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Dec 20 2010, 02:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381643
:00000732:

Overdrive is automotive technical speak for top gear. When the Overdrive is off, the transmission will only shift as high as third gear but will not shift into 4th. This is useful when descending long grades or when driving around town and keeping the transmission from shifting up too often will prevent wear and tear. The shift patterns according to the selection made are below.

Overdrive On: 1-2-3-4
Overdrive Off: 1-2-3

Hopefully this answers your question. :thumbsup:

Thanks dude..so its preferable to drive the car with o/d 'off' or 'on' or when is the better situation to used the o/d? :liebe011:

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I'd run it with the overdrive on under most circumstances to allow the greatest fuel efficiency. If you find yourself descending a long hill and don't want to ride the brakes, cancel out the O/D and let the lower gearing do some of the work.

·
Registered
284 Posts
QUOTE (hunter86 @ Dec 21 2010, 03:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=381866
Thanks dude..so its preferable to drive the car with o/d 'off' or 'on' or when is the better situation to used the o/d? :liebe011:

Hi hunter86,
For general driving we find we leave the gearbox in fully auto mode with the OD in its default setting. (e.g. the button not pressed on the selector lever and the OD off light not illuminated on the dashboard). The i10 being a relatively light car does not suffer from the freewheel / runaway situation our larger Opel car does when descending hills. In fact, the i10 has good engine braking for an auto so I would imagine you will not require to use the facility that often. Even when fully loaded we have not found the gearbox to 'hunt' up and down while it tries to align the correct gear to the road conditions and have found it ‘hangs on’ to a given gear for long enough.
We do use it regularly though when we have a trailer attached and are travelling less than 45 mph so as to stop the repetitive 3rd to 4th to 3rd gear changes. :unsure:

I suppose it is as they say here in the UK, “it’s horses for courses” meaning ultimately it depends on your driving style and the prevailing road conditions etc.

From what I have seen with our i10 auto, the gearbox is quite basic in that it does not offer the features found on other cars:-
Drive disconnection when waiting at a junction with the foot brake on. This cannot help fuel consumption as it is trying to drive the car forward all the time unless you put it in neutral.
It does not offer the changed engine performance facilities some autos have. e.g. Pressing a button on our Opel alters the revs at which the gears change and engine mapping for the fuel and ignition timing etc for greater performance (sports mode)
And it does not offer a ‘snow’ mode for starting off in 2nd or 3rd gear when tyre traction is poor to prevent wheel-spin, which would have been useful more than once with the snowfalls we have had of late here in Scotland. :frozen:

Having said that, we hope you enjoy the car as we have done; having an autobox certainly makes it a joy to drive in a city environment and compared to our daughters i10 with a manual gearbox the loss in performance is not that great. :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts