Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beginning to seriously regret my choice in my new car. First the speak button failed and now I have paint coming off my right front fender! I am honestly beginning to wonder if this car was involved in an accident pre-delivery because I just noticed the driver door does not line up properly either. I am so angry right now I cannot see straight. I will refrain from saying anything else because I have a feeling that a legal fight with Hyundai is just around the corner.

[attachment=20648:IMG_6202.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
I can understand you...I have the same feeling about my 2009 ( regarding my clutch-transmission assy). It clearly looks like a bend in the edge of the fender. Inspect everything with your eyes and go to the war ...

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
That sure does looks like impact damage. There are at least two parallel cracks in the paint.

Dumb question, but why is your lower plastic trim painted? Isn't it supposed to be black?

·
Registered
121 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Oct 10 2010, 10:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362544
I am beginning to seriously regret my choice in my new car. First the speak button failed and now I have paint coming off my right front fender! I am honestly beginning to wonder if this car was involved in an accident pre-delivery because I just noticed the driver door does not line up properly either. I am so angry right now I cannot see straight. I will refrain from saying anything else because I have a feeling that a legal fight with Hyundai is just around the corner.

I know where you are coming from. If it were mine I would take it to a carwash and have a go at the affected area with a high pressure washer and get the paint to peel back some more to see if it is body putty in there. Also in the picture above the bad area it looks like a masking line, is the paint a different height or stepped there as it looks. If so it is probably a repaint. That area is real hard to sand out to make it look good.

Have the salesman look at it and ask if he would be real happy with it for the $ you paid. Generally the sales people will assist with this type of problem a lot more than the service writer. The salesman has more to loose than the service people. He is generally on commission were as the service people are salary people.

Remember you can always gather more friends with honey than vinegar. In otherwords, no matter how mad you are about this, do not show it until all else has failed.

Just my two bits. :whistling:

Keep us posted.

Glen.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
l can feel your frustration, l'd be the same. l would agree with the other comments, it does look like your car has been damaged ssince it left the factory, let us know how you get on when you go back to the dealer

·
Registered
947 Posts
Wow. That is unreal. From the pic, that does look like that area was filled and re-sprayed!! I would think that would be a total no-no given this vehicle was sold new with no disclosures.

Joel

·
Registered
291 Posts
QUOTE (PoMansAWD @ Oct 11 2010, 02:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362623
Wow. That is unreal. From the pic, that does look like that area was filled and re-sprayed!! I would think that would be a total no-no given this vehicle was sold new with no disclosures.

Joel
I'd agree that the damage looks suspiciously like oversprayed filler. If this is the case, and it's not a manufacturing defect you would have legitimate grounds to reject the car.

Try not to let these teething problems taint your view of the car, it really is a great car, though I absolutely sympathise with your understandable frustration. Keep us posted and good luck getting it sorted with the least headache.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Bummer. I feel for you. Why did that have to happen to you, right?

They'll fix it. May have been damaged in transit from factory to dealer. Happens a lot. Don't have to disclose it. Still a brand new vehicle. Often they keep those for demo's.

I believe there were already over 100 miles on it when you got it? Wonder why? New vehicles are delivered to the dealer by truck. I never ever accept anything over 10 or 15. But that doesn't always work. My first SF was a lemon from day 2.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Oct 10 2010, 11:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362544

I'd pull a carfax. Most dealers don't do their own painting, but farm it out. Be interesting if they had a local painter do a touch up.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I just looked at the zoom more closely, and I agree with dunmovin.... there definitely appears to be a masking line running up the edge of the fender. This vehicle has almost certainly been through the body shop.

What a bummer on a brand-new car. Don't let it get you down, Andrew. Get in there and show the evidence to the sales manager, and ask for a replacement vehicle. Then if they don't cooperate, demand it. Consumer law pretty much everywhere should be on your side on this one.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went in today and I tried to keep a cool head but they could tell I was steaming mad. I'll admit I got a little vocal at one point but kept the pressure from totally exploding. They told me that a replacement vehicle is out of the question and that I can either have it repaired or live with it. At that point I told them I would be opening a claim with Hyundai Consumer Affairs and attempt to get my replacement vehicle that way. My service advisor (who is also my good friend) told me that Hyundai would prefer to have the vehicle repaired first and if I'm still not satisfied, they will "take it from there".

I was able to choose the body shop to do the work and they are the only people I trust to shoot an accurate re-spray. However if it is not absolutely spot on, I will be contacting consumer affairs in regards to a buy back or replacement vehicle. I'm glad Hyundai is paying for the repair but one, it shouldn't have happened in the first place and second, now my brand new car will smell like paint and industrial cleaners instead of leather. :(

·
Registered
947 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Oct 11 2010, 05:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362772
I was able to choose the body shop to do the work and they are the only people I trust to shoot an accurate re-spray. However if it is not absolutely spot on, I will be contacting consumer affairs in regards to a buy back or replacement vehicle. I'm glad Hyundai is paying for the repair but one, it shouldn't have happened in the first place and second, now my brand new car will smell like paint and industrial cleaners instead of leather. :(

All true Andrew. I would like to know if the dealership knew that this vehicle needed some minor body work? I know they repair door and bumper dings and minor interior flaws all the time prior to sale, but does anyone know if there's some type of limit to how much can be repaired and the vehicle still sold with this being undisclosed? Regardless, if there's any positive thoughts to this, if you look at the fundamentals of the paint/panel fitment issue, someone can smack you in a parking lot tomorrow. You'll be mad as a hornet, but you fix it and drive on so to speak. Hopefully to lighten your mood... My wife wiped out the side of our 2008 Honda Odyssey when it had 860mi on it. All the way from rear bumper to mid sliding door. It's still that way today. :whistling:

Joel

·
1,914 Posts
I asked Andrew to send me another pic of how the fender lines up. It doesn't look like it was taken off and repaired and it does look like it lines up. Still doesn't mean it wasn't painted at some point. Hopefully the dealer takes care of him.

Here in PA if any damage before purchase exceeds $500, the dealer has to make the customer aware of it.

I'm pretty sure my car had some paintwork done to it. When I cleaned it for delivery, there was a lot of overspray on the right side and it looked like the gas cap was buffed. I see no signs of it being repaired so I wasn't too worried.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The day I received my vehicle, I immediately washed and dried it in my driveway so I could, at the same time, look for defects/blemishes. I found 2 spots on the passenger side doorsill that had been touched up (looked like a touch-up brush-not very well done)- probably a boot/shoe scrape. I also found a dab of dried paint (clump?) about 1/8 in. in size towards the bottom of back door where the fender meets the door opening. Not noticeable except on close examination.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Oct 11 2010, 03:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362772
I'm glad Hyundai is paying for the repair but one, it shouldn't have happened in the first place and second, now my brand new car will smell like paint and industrial cleaners instead of leather. :(
I'm curious - you never did say if the dealership admitted to having had work done on that vehicle - although it seems unlikely that the factory would have sent it out that way. What was the dealer's story, anyway?

Might be interesting to ask the dealership point blank which body shop THEY use for work (could make it sound like you're asking for advice for someone to perform the fix, even though you're not), and then drop by that shop with your vehicle and see if they have a record of work on your VIN.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
QUOTE (canderson @ Oct 12 2010, 02:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363003
although it seems unlikely that the factory would have sent it out that way.
That's a good question actually. When we toured the factory they mentioned that quality control includes mechanical and paint inspection, followed by sending defects back for "correction". I suspect that masking-tape resprays are more common than we think, and certainly more common than cars going to the crusher because of a dent or scratch.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Plus, new cars do arrive at the dealership with minor damage all the time. A rock hits it on the train or car carrier, etc. This is in kind of an unusual spot for that though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts