Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm getting Nelly (my '07 Sonata with 110,000 miles) ready for another road trip. Nothing special, just felt like posting some pics.

A few weeks ago I pulled the wheels, gave the wells a shot of undercoating and Meg's Ultimate Protectant, cleaned and sealed the wheels and dressed the tires.

This past week I cleaned the engine with Meg's APC (6:1) and dressed with Stoner's. Dressed all of the rubber seal with 1Z Gummi Pflege, plastic parts with Meg's UP.

Even the wiper arms turned out pretty good - "black powdered metal" was dressed with Meg's UP.

Used Diamondite glas polishing system for the windscreen.

Not shown: shampoo cleaning of the seats, sheep skin covers, seat belts and floor mats.

In the back I dressed the trunk threshold with Meg's UP.

Dressed all seals and soft rubber with 1Z Gummi Pflege.

Polished the tail lights with Menzerna Final Polish and sealed.

Then, just to prove I'm obsessed, I polished the muffler using Meg's APC, Scotch Bright Scrubbing Pad and a Magic Erasor.

Still need another coat of sealant, a wax topper and clean the interior glass.

Thanks for looking.

Regards,
GEWB

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
You say the word and 10.5 hours later I'm there for the detail! Lookin' good brother. Glad to see you're still in Nelly. Nice tires BTW.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I thought you said the front had some road rash? That thing looks amazing still. Mine is clean yours is over the top. Remember folks that is with 110,000 miles! Between the trucks full of sand driving the expressway and the road grinding / repaving I can definitely say mine is rashed. Can't even keep up with the chip repair and I don't think polishing my windshield will help too much, sandblasting at 70 mph just kills.

I love how the cowl came out with the UP.

You have WAY too much free time!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (Sequoiasoon @ Oct 4 2010, 08:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361101
I thought you said the front had some road rash? That thing looks amazing still. Mine is clean yours is over the top. Remember folks that is with 110,000 miles! Between the trucks full of sand driving the expressway and the road grinding / repaving I can definitely say mine is rashed. Can't even keep up with the chip repair and I don't think polishing my windshield will help too much, sandblasting at 70 mph just kills.

I love how the cowl came out with the UP.

You have WAY too much free time!
Yup, Nelly has 52 spots that need touchup between the nose and B pillar (and the roof!). Largest is 1/8" diameter, most of the rest are the size of a pin head. If you look at the pic of the front grill (6th pic down) you can see how it too has been dinged by stones. I should hit up the junk yards and see what I can find...

Regards,
GEWB

·
Registered
68 Posts
good job my friend,
i liked the way u cleaned ur car. it is very nice. :clap:
i wish i could clean mine like that but the weather here is always dusty sometimes i dont have time to dry it after wash.
by the way how much time did u consume in cleaning ur car to look like these pictures.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (bakshi6 @ Oct 5 2010, 09:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361237
Where can I get Meg's UP product?
Meguiars Ultimate Protection can be purchased in many retail or online stores including:
> O'Relly's / Kragen / CSK /Murray's / Schuck's
> Auto Zone
> Advance Auto
> Walmart
> MANY online such as Autogeek, Proper Auto Care, Amazon, etc.

Expect to pay around $10 for a bottle. Remember that a little goes a long way. I buy the "bag-o-brushes" disposable foam brushes to thinnly and evenly apply the UP. After it has dried for TWO to THREE HOURS, GENTLY wipe it with a small (cut off) piece of Scott's Shop Towel ()the blue stuff) or general purpose micro fiber towel.

Regards,
GEWB

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (iraqi4ever80 @ Oct 5 2010, 10:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361254
good job my friend,
i liked the way u cleaned ur car. it is very nice. :clap:
i wish i could clean mine like that but the weather here is always dusty sometimes i dont have time to dry it after wash.
by the way how much time did u consume in cleaning ur car to look like these pictures.
Thanks for your comment! Whihle Denver isn't as dusty as many parts of the world, it is very dry with single digit relative humidy common any time of year. This makes washing, polishing, "dwell" type cleaning a challenge.

A full top-to-bottom, inside and out, three stage polish, two step seal/wax takes around 30 hours, sometimes less, sometimes more.

But I break that up into managable chunks...an hour here, two hours there, a quick half hour before dinner...before you know it much of the car looks great!

Longest periods are polishing then sealing - hate to stop when doing that although I have broken that into two days.

Doing the "typical" upkeep really does not take much time - tires, trim, engine, dash, jambs, windscreen - a little here and there every two month or so and you'll be riding pretty!

Regards,
GEWB

·
Registered
317 Posts
QUOTE (gewb @ Oct 5 2010, 02:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361296
Meguiars Ultimate Protection can be purchased in many retail or online stores including:
> O'Relly's / Kragen / CSK /Murray's / Schuck's
> Auto Zone
> Advance Auto
> Walmart
> MANY online such as Autogeek, Proper Auto Care, Amazon, etc.

Expect to pay around $10 for a bottle. Remember that a little goes a long way. I buy the "bag-o-brushes" disposable foam brushes to thinnly and evenly apply the UP. After it has dried for TWO to THREE HOURS, GENTLY wipe it with a small (cut off) piece of Scott's Shop Towel ()the blue stuff) or general purpose micro fiber towel.

Regards,
GEWB
cool thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
QUOTE (gewb @ Oct 5 2010, 09:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361299
Thanks for your comment! Whihle Denver isn't as dusty as many parts of the world, it is very dry with single digit relative humidy common any time of year. This makes washing, polishing, "dwell" type cleaning a challenge.

A full top-to-bottom, inside and out, three stage polish, two step seal/wax takes around 30 hours, sometimes less, sometimes more.

But I break that up into managable chunks...an hour here, two hours there, a quick half hour before dinner...before you know it much of the car looks great!

Longest periods are polishing then sealing - hate to stop when doing that although I have broken that into two days.

Doing the "typical" upkeep really does take much time - tires, trim, engine, dash, jambs, windscreen - a little here and there every two month or so and you'll be riding pretty!

Regards,
GEWB
God bless u.
when i spend 2 hours in regular cleaning of my my car ,my wife says u should marry the car not me(she is speaking). so if i spend 30 hours only god knows what would happen :gitara:
about the dusty weather here is a link of video taken by me about 3 years ago shows some dust storm in my country
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccMlgtFB8Ho

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE (iraqi4ever80 @ Oct 5 2010, 01:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361315
God bless u.
when i spend 2 hours in regular cleaning of my my car ,my wife says u should marry the car not me(she is speaking). so if i spend 30 hours only god knows what would happen :gitara:
about the dusty weather here is a link of video taken by me about 3 years ago shows some dust storm in my country
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccMlgtFB8Ho
My wife was the same way. But, as I posted, break into small chunks - she doesn't mind the 30 minute to two hour stuff. And the car almost always looks nice.

Now she asks "When are you going to do that to my car?" :wub:

Regards,
GEWB

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
man, that is super clean, especialy the engine bay! way to keep it clean. If you shaved her, it would look top notch.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
QUOTE (error666 @ Oct 5 2010, 07:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361382
How do you clean the engine? Do you cover anything? Just spray water on it? And what is Meg's APC?
Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner, cut with distilled water to vary the strength - I typically use 8:1 (waterr:APC) for general cleaning, 6:1 for the tougher areas, 4:1 for really nasty stuff.

Cleaning the engine...I wrap the alternator in aluminum foil and stuff a towel into the air intake. I usually use a more gentle spray of water to rinse down the entire engine (my spray nozzle has a "shower" setting that works well), then I spray the APC and let it dwell - I do one-third of the engine at a time (righ / left forward and back side of bay). I use a couple of different soft brushes to aggitate. Rinse with gentle shower.

Remove the foil from the alternator.

I then use a leaf blower to dry the entire engine.

Remove the towel from the air intake.

Wrap foil around the accessable portions of the serpentine belt. Spray Stoner Trim Shine in the entire bay.

Remove the foil from the belt. Allow to dry a couple hours.

I treat the air intake rubber seal with 1Z Gummi Pflege; the cowling (under wipers) and top of headlight assembly are treated with Meguiras Ultimate Protentant - allow two hours to dry then gently wipe with microfiber towel or Scotts Shop Towel.

Regards,
GEWB

1 - 20 of 24 Posts