Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Yeah, those tests are good for initial impressions only. They don't consider what the car is going to be like after 10 or 15 years. If they did, the winners would be Toyota and Honda.

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jun 29 2010, 09:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337300
Yeah, those tests are good for initial impressions only. They don't consider what the car is going to be like after 10 or 15 years. If they did, the winners would be Toyota and Honda.
Not true at all. According to the article they didn't test a Honda or Toyota :banana:

·
Registered
594 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jun 29 2010, 10:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337313
Yes they did. They actually rated a wide range of brands. You might want to refer to the article in Consumers Reports if you're going to say what they covered and what they didn't.
Well according to the website in the original post:

The minds at Consumer Reports have just wrapped up testing on a handful of family sedans. The publication lined up the Chevrolet Impala, Hyundai Sonata, Nissan Altima and Suzuki Kizashi for a four-door throw down, and by the time the dust settled, Nissan and Hyundai reigned supreme
Other than that, I would never read Consumer Reports. I find them worse than useless.

·
Registered
678 Posts
The only thing about Nissan is that I see more of them on the side of the road broken down than I have seen Hyundai. So years from now, I'm still glad I got a Hyundai.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (RamKat @ Jun 29 2010, 09:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337306
These two were at the top of my list - I just loved the CVT transmission
Truth be told, the Altima was my #2 as well. However, when compared to the Sonata the thought was, do I pay *more* for a nearly 10 year old design at the end of it's useful life? -OR- Pay *less* for a much better looking, better equipped, roomier, more powerful car with better gas milage at the *very beginning* of it's life-cycle? Hmm.... That's a tough one.

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (Doc_V @ Jun 29 2010, 08:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337329
Truth be told, the Altima was my #2 as well. However, when compared to the Sonata the thought was, do I pay *more* for a nearly 10 year old design at the end of it's useful life? -OR- Pay *less* for a much better looking, better equipped, roomier, more powerful car with better gas milage at the *very beginning* of it's life-cycle? Hmm.... That's a tough one.
+1

·
1,914 Posts
While the Altima is a nice car, the Kizashi and Sonata should have been at the top of the list. I was a never a fan of Suzuki but the Kizashi is a very nice car. Sure they didn't rate it because of Suzuki's reliability and guess you can fault them for that, but atleast they put it in the test.

How was the Impala included in that? It's a full size car. The Impala is a nice car, it just needs a better ride and a refresh.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Sorry Paul but I've got to disagree with you on that one. The Altima is probably the most boring, flaccid, numb, disconnected, lifeless, and dull driving appliance ever conceived by the hand of man. Anybody who prefers an Altima over an '11 Sonata needs to be committed. I had moved them as rental cars while working for Audi and found the interior so dull that I thought I would require psychological help just to resume normal brain function. Then it got worse when my parents got one as a rental in Boston this past week. Terrible interior materials, uncomfortable seats, jerky throttle, jerky brakes, and the list goes on. I would take the bus before I drove an Altima...what an awful, awful car. I couldn't wait to jump in my uncle's '08 Jetta. I love that little car. :grin:

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Jun 30 2010, 05:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337377
Sorry Paul but I've got to disagree with you on that one. The Altima is probably the most boring, flaccid, numb, disconnected, lifeless, and dull driving appliance ever conceived by the hand of man. Anybody who prefers an Altima over an '11 Sonata needs to be committed. I had moved them as rental cars while working for Audi and found the interior so dull that I thought I would require psychological help just to resume normal brain function. Then it got worse when my parents got one as a rental in Boston this past week. Terrible interior materials, uncomfortable seats, jerky throttle, jerky brakes, and the list goes on. I would take the bus before I drove an Altima...what an awful, awful car. I couldn't wait to jump in my uncle's '08 Jetta. I love that little car. :grin:
you just haven't driven the VQ3.5 yet..that engine has the "throw you into the rear seat as u romp on the gas" feel that I ohhhh soooo miss!

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Jun 30 2010, 05:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337377
For sure, I drive new cars all the time with my business and I get to drive the new altimas a lot. I feel like i'm in car with an interior from 1995. The exterior pretty much looks the same has it has for the past 10 years too. Drives like a truck too.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jun 30 2010, 07:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337397
you just haven't driven the VQ3.5 yet..that engine has the "throw you into the rear seat as u romp on the gas" feel that I ohhhh soooo miss!
And the oil burning.
And the bad coils.
And the uber sensitive MAFs
Butterfly valve screws backing out.

Yeah, it has power. But Nissans dismissal of those issues sucked.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Jun 30 2010, 09:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337422
And the oil burning.
And the bad coils.
And the uber sensitive MAFs
Butterfly valve screws backing out.

Yeah, it has power. But Nissans dismissal of those issues sucked.
the MAF issue was addressed and resolved in 2003 to the best of my knowledge (my 03 maxima 3.5 had zero maf issues and I romped on that bad boy every chance I got)

never heard of the other issues, but I only had my maxipad for a year before the tranny crapped out and then started to crap out again 4k miles later. I do have a friend with over 100k on his without issues

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jun 30 2010, 09:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337423
the MAF issue was addressed and resolved in 2003 to the best of my knowledge (my 03 maxima 3.5 had zero maf issues and I romped on that bad boy every chance I got)

never heard of the other issues, but I only had my maxipad for a year before the tranny crapped out and then started to crap out again 4k miles later. I do have a friend with over 100k on his without issues
Yeah, there were a year or two that getting the 3.5 was a bad idea. I have driven the 3.5 on many occasions and they are very nice. I opted to buy the 01 instead of waiting for the '02.

I have driven the CVT equiped Altimas and I guess I am an "old school" guy because the lack of "shift" makes me keep feeling that the tranny is just slipping. Albeit a rental, the drive was fairly uninspiring.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Jun 30 2010, 09:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337427
Yeah, there were a year or two that getting the 3.5 was a bad idea. I have driven the 3.5 on many occasions and they are very nice. I opted to buy the 01 instead of waiting for the '02.

I have driven the CVT equiped Altimas and I guess I am an "old school" guy because the lack of "shift" makes me keep feeling that the tranny is just slipping. Albeit a rental, the drive was fairly uninspiring.

every Nissan Murano, and altima 2.5 (including their hybrid) that I've driven, I felt the car shift....I don't get the CVT tranny (but it might just be a nissan thing)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts