Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ABS was on the window invoice when I bought my 2009 Hyundai last January but I wondered today, how do I really know if I have ABS? Obviously I could slam on the brakes from 50+ mph & see if my brakes lock or not but I thought I'd ask first. Is there anyway to look under the hood & tell? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Turn the key to ON, see if the dash light comes on.

·
Super Moderator
3,812 Posts
I have a different cluster than the 2009's, however according to the owner's manual both clusters have the ABS indicator in the same general vicinity.  Look to the right of your speedometer during the first 3 seconds of turning the ignition to on.

Also not as easy to detect, there's a soft 'thump' you can hear and feel lightly in the floor each time you start the car and hit ~5-8 MPH as the system does a self diagnostic.  You can also see the ABS pump under the hood, mounted back by the passenger's side firewall. Several brake lines running to it.

When it does actvate, however - there will be no questions if you have it. The pedal pulses violently and you'll swear there is a machine gun going off under the hood. :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
under the hood, if you look on the left side of your intake manifold, or right next to the A/C lines or on the right side of your left strut.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I haven't noticed the thump or anything on the dash after start up but I'll look under the hood tomorrow.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Its my understanding that no 2009 Accents(2 door) were offered ABS brakes.

- My 'knowledgable' salesman told me there was... and also got 50mpg too.... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
QUOTE (Mogal @ Apr 27 2010, 10:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317272
Its my understanding that no 2009 Accents(2 door) were offered ABS brakes.

- My 'knowledgable' salesman told me there was... and also got 50mpg too.... :thumbsup:
My 2009 most definately has ABS, so your 'knowledgable' salesman was at least half right.

·
Registered
724 Posts
They dropped Canadian ABS as Standard Equipment.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (hoosieraccent @ Apr 27 2010, 08:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317262
This is the hydraulic control unit you are looking for.
Thanks! I looked & there it was. :liebe011: Glad to know I have them & glad I don't have to make a call to the dealer to straighten anything out. I really need to get a maintenance manual so I can figure stuff like this out.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Not sure if having ABS is something to be happy about. I'm most definitley happy my accent didn't come with one (and niether did my civix before that) if you know how to brake in any emergency situation and that includes pumping the brake pedal and controlling steering than you are good, otherwise on a straight line halt, none ABS vehicles have been proven to stop a shorter distance than cars that are equiped with ABS. just my $0.02 lol

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (bloodninja @ Apr 27 2010, 01:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317188
Find gravel. Drive on gravel slowly. Slam on brakes. If you feel a fast pulsation in the brake pedal, you have ABS.
I think I'm going to try it out. No gravel roads nearby but it's supposed to rain this weekend so I'll do a few quick stops in the rain & see how it does. I hope it's better than the ABS on my Ford Ranger! The first panic stop I did in that I coasted about 30 feet farther than I would have expected. From about 30 mph. The harder I pushed the weaker the brakes got. I was doing a full-on leg press & bending the seat backward & it coasted like there was a brick under the pedal. I didn't hit the guy who ran the red light because he saw me & swerved out of the way.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Keep in mind... ABS is NOT designed to decrease stopping distance (at least not primarily). It is mainly designed to let you steer away from disaster while braking heavily (i.e. prevent the wheels from locking). Panicking and continuing in a straight line towards disaster is an awful idea regardless of ABS or not.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had a chance to use my ABS this week. VERY happy with them! :thumbsup: Stops way shorter than my Ranger. I could feel some pulsing through the pedal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts