Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and girls check it out. Here is a thread from another forum and now my newest project for my Accent SE.

http://geometroforum.com/topic/779212/1/

Its a less commonly know engine pre-heating technique that apparently is highly rated. The heater heats and circulates engine coolant throughout the block. Just as your coolant pulls heat out of the engine when its running, this heater puts it back in when its not. The forum (and a few other locations) say it works well heating the engine oil as well. Installation seems relatively easy, you just need to splice it into coolant lines on the hot side of the thermostat. I plan on mounting mine on the firewall right behind and below (very important i hear) the thermostat.

Increased gas mileage to work in the morning
increased engine longevity
increased oil life
easier starting
3/4 of the way to operating temps at startup
and my favorite - instant cabin heat!

I live in ND and the winter mornings can be -30F and lower. Therefore I bought the 1000 watt heater instead of the 850 lol, and it was actually a dollar cheaper too. Grand total for the project so far is $30 :) Some say they burn out pretty easily ( as early as 1-2 years) But for 30 bucks I'll put a new one in yearly rather than pay for a $200 dollar model of the same purpose

More to come when the winter hits!

P.S. make sure you install it on the engine side of the thermostat lol, not the radiator side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey I'm having a REALLY hard time finding the coolant block drain plug. The radiator is cake, but the block...what gives? am i blind? Pics are much appreciated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, and i was wondering because it recommends that you use the block coolant drain plug. I have a hyundai accent all models manual that describes extremely vaguely with a crap picture where the plug is but doesnt specify which engine year etc that its referring to

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (windcruiser15 @ Sep 27 2010, 09:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359259
ok, and i was wondering because it recommends that you use the block coolant drain plug. I have a hyundai accent all models manual that describes extremely vaguely with a crap picture where the plug is but doesnt specify which engine year etc that its referring to
Oh... you should register on hmaservice.com. It's Hyundai's free online service manual/electrical diagrams/TBA website. Don't drain the whole system because the instructions tell you so. I would pinch the hoses you plan to splice into to avoid losing too much coolant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok I can't find a thing on HMA about the heater core hoses, block coolant drain or even the thermostat.

Can anyone tell me where the frost/freeze plugs are on the engine?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Popped in from the Sonata fourm because I saw this thread. I used an inline coolant heater for the life of my 2000 VW Jetta TDI and I loved it. I'd highly recommend any plug-in heater that fits your particular car.

The TDI is a very civilized diesel, never really NEEDED the assistance of a heater, but I used one for 10 years simply because I knew my engine would be waaayyy better off because of it. 0F degree morning starts in my Chicago garage were absolutely effortless. In fact just by turning the key to the ACC position, and turning on the blower, without even turning on the engine, I'd get warm air (not fully warm, but warm). I hooked it up to a timer and simply had it turn on while I slept, usually three hours before departure. If your car is outside near an outlet, you'll probably need to keep it going all night.

Prior to selling my car this summer, my mechanic did a compression test and it returned outstanding results on all four cylinders (163K, synthetic oil every 8-10K, engine heater).

VW did not sell such an accessory but an enterprising guy on that forum made one that replaced a lower radiator hose perfectly. It looked factory stock and I'll be he sold a boatload. As long as it is a good fit, and you take care with the cord (where you route it and how you bring the cord/plug it to the outside of the car), I think you'll love it. On the flip side, a poorly made product that doesn't really fit your car, or leaks, will cause you fits. So will an unsecured cord that drags on the pavement and gets destroyed. Watch out for those things and you'll swear by---not swear at---at engine heater. Very worthwhile.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey man,

You ever get that circulating tank heater installed?

If you did, what was the Part #??

Thanks

P.S.

Too bad about the Sioux last night, eh?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (tuberculosis @ Jan 22 2011, 12:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=393349
Hey man,

You ever get that circulating tank heater installed?

If you did, what was the Part #??

Thanks

P.S.

Too bad about the Sioux last night, eh?
No I actually never did! What a bummer! In fact the engine in my accent was too small to have the right attachments. Apparently it neither has a block drain, or a frost plug to tap the heater in (found on larger engines). The heater CAN be tapped into the lower radiator hose by splicing into the hose with an additional part from the company. The other end of the heater goes into the inbound heater hose (heading from the heater core) HOWEVER!!!!! after talking with my mechanic, it would void my warranty, so therefore I decided to brave the cold :(

And no kidding about the game, talk about wooden stake through the heart.... Better luck tonight I hope.

Good luck if you decide to install, let us know how it goes

Matt

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW I still have the unused heater if you want to give it a go! I got it for 30, and still have all the parts, so I'd be willing to sell it for the same or a little less

·
Registered
24 Posts
after talking with my mechanic, it would void my warranty
Whoa, I just got the thing. No need to do that!

Sorry to hear you didn't get it in.

/on hold with the stealer about getting a block heater installed

*edit*

they quoted me at $189 parts+labor

gateway in fargo

·
Registered
390 Posts
I would do this mod if I had to deal with the winter. :frozen:

I keep running running into this guy that drives a Geo Metro that is in very good shape. It is clean and shiny. I always get jealous at the mileage that he must be getting (I'm guessing).

·
Registered
810 Posts
QUOTE (JVACC09 @ Jan 22 2011, 02:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=393433
I would do this mod if I had to deal with the winter. :frozen:

I keep running running into this guy that drives a Geo Metro that is in very good shape. It is clean and shiny. I always get jealous at the mileage that he must be getting (I'm guessing).
Make yourself feel better by remembering that you will actually survive a collision relatively injury whereas he will probably not. Is it worth the extra couple bucks in gas now?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts