Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my wife's i10 for second service. All seemed good but my wife complained that the parcel shelf was sticking on the tailgate and would inhibit closure until it was raised by 20cm or so. I checked that it was correctly attached - no issue there. Checked for interference and the shelf had certainly and mysteriously grown larger (width) by 15mm. The rubber end stops were now sticking on the rear window as the tailgate closed!!!
My 1st reaction was to assume that someone else's shelf had been refitted in error. However, the dealer suggested that the shelf had expanded with heat and that this was a known issue since Hyundai had changed supplier. The expansion part of this explanation had a whiff of BullS..t about it but as a replacement was ordered under warranty, I went along with it The new shelf was fitted and performed as the previous 2 years. Problem solved but I am still convinced the shelf had been changed.

I would have left things as they were but I also put my Santa Fe in for service. The job sheet identifies that they replaced oil and filters. I had a doubt that this wasn't done a few services ago so I checked the oil. DEEP BLACK. Not translucent with the expected staining from residual oil deposits.

Back to the purpose of this post. I am attempting to build a case against this dealer so I would appreciate any experiences regarding "expanding parcel shelves" or were some badly fitting shelves supplied with new cars recently?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,953 Posts
he job sheet identifies that they replaced oil and filters. I had a doubt that this wasn't done a few services ago so I checked the oil.
DEEP BLACK. Not translucent with the expected staining from residual oil deposits.
Yeah, that's normal...assuming we're talking about a CRDi engine in the Santa Fe.
The super expanding parcel shelf story sounds like BS to me too though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that's normal...assuming we're talking about a CRDi engine in the Santa Fe.
The super expanding parcel shelf story sounds like BS to me too though.
Yes the CRDi 2.2. 27k only. Normal - Deep Black or translucent with some staining after oil change and 50m?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In addition, I have carried out many oil changes. The stuff I took out looked as if it had been there for year.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,953 Posts
The oil in a CRD engine will turn black again pretty much as soon as you start the engine. At least, that's been my experience and I've carried out many, many, many oil changes when I was a dealer tech.

Sorry, but you'll have a hard job proving they didn't do your oil change if the colour of the oil is all you've got to go by.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I can confirm the parcel shelf expansion is correct.
My wife’s i10 bought in 2015 had the same problem, I was bewildered at first but it started doing it during a week of very hot weather a couple of months ago.
It’s very easily fixed, a sharp craft knife is all that’s needed, just shave a little off on the edge by the rear window.
If this hot spell continues I think you’ll find the new shelf you have had fitted will also expand.
S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts