Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am thoroughly enjoying this car! Of course, since I'm new to the Hyundai family, I have a question regarding certain sounds emanating from the drivetrain.

Regarding the engine tick, I researched the car exhaustively beforehand so I realize that is normal, and I don't hear it inside the car with the windows up anyway.

The transaxle is different. Once again, I do not notice any unusual sounds from inside the car with windows closed, however with windows open, I can hear a whine from the transaxle at low speeds that corresponds to vehicle speed. It is by no means loud or bothersome, as I had an '05 Freestyle with a CVT that sounded like a turbine, but I'm just not used to this from a regular automatic trans. So I'm wondering if it's normal?

Thx

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The silence is deafening...

OK, I answered my own question by driving another Ltd at the dealer. Same sounds. I guess what I'm hearing is normal and, besides, it's not very loud. In any case, we have that nifty warranty, so I'm not concerned. It's just that, it's such a nice car that one must resort to petty nitpicking in order to find anything wrong!

So far, I am not in any way, shape, or form regretting the purchase of this car. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you have excessive "pingy" "tinny" sounds coming from the exaust due to heat? I'm not a gear head and not really sure what causes this, but I noticed a lot of this noise from day one with my car. I usually hear this when the car comes to a stop and especially once the car is turned off. We had a pretty warm day a couple weeks back and it was worse that day and sounded pretty bad (well.....bad for a tinny pingy kind of sound). Please forgive my explanation, but I can't think of a better way to explain it. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about. Is this normal?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Psitech @ Apr 22 2010, 05:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315727
Do you have excessive "pingy" "tinny" sounds coming from the exaust due to heat? I'm not a gear head and not really sure what causes this, but I noticed a lot of this noise from day one with my car. I usually hear this when the car comes to a stop and especially once the car is turned off. We had a pretty warm day a couple weeks back and it was worse that day and sounded pretty bad (well.....bad for a tinny pingy kind of sound). Please forgive my explanation, but I can't think of a better way to explain it. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about. Is this normal?
I don't hear any pinging, as if the parts are expanding or contracting as they heat up & cool down, but it does get a 'hot smell' which can be pretty strong. I've had other cars that would exhibit the expansion/contraction noises, it sounds normal to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts