Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone (my first post)

I just bought a 2011 3.5ltr Santa Fe, my first Korean SUV just traded in my 2008 Ford Explorer :)

I was just wondering what the normal idle rpm was for everyone here. Mine idles at warmed up at just over 500rpm maybe 550rpm etc... which is kinda low compared to other cars I've driven which are usually in the range of 750rpm...

Also separate issue, the car also has a harsh down shift when coasting, is that normal? To feel the car lurch back a little as you're coasting to some red lights or speed bump???

Thanks

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
What country was your Santa Fe originally sold in?

The 3.5 was never sold in the UK, indeed it was 2.2 diesel only from 2010.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine is in Saudi Arabia :D lol where petrol is cheaper than water. Thanks for the replies, great to hear that 500-550rpm is normal idle for the 3.5ltr, tried to google for the info nothing came up.
This 3.5ltr engine in my opinion has more umf in it than the 4.0 V6 in yhe experor. :D

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Mine is in Saudi Arabia :D lol where petrol is cheaper than water.
Have you seen the price of bottled water? Despite the high price of petrol/diesel in the UK, supermarket bottled water is usually more expensive - the local supply I get from my taps is also bottled and sold elsewhere - it's a crazy world we live in!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi there. I have a 2012 Hyundai Santa Gls 2.4L and it does the same as you mentioned. I don't know what could be problem.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
This 3.5ltr engine in my opinion has more umf in it than the 4.0 V6 in yhe experor. :D
Ain't that the truth. The 4.0 is a decent workhorse, but even by old-Detroit standards it's a dog when it comes to acceleration.

Not that it matters much where you live, but are you noticing any fuel economy difference between the Exploder and the Santa Fe?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm British (Londoner) as well, and mate let me tell you a liter of premium 91 octane would set you back half a riyal that's about 0.07p a liter. I get a full tank on just a fiver lmao.

Just here to work since all of Britian has gone to the sh#ts lol :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ain't that the truth. The 4.0 is a decent workhorse, but even by old-Detroit standards it's a dog when it comes to acceleration.

Not that it matters much where you live, but are you noticing any fuel economy difference between the Exploder and the Santa Fe?
Yeah I do, the Explorer XLT 2008 V6 4.0 litr engine as costing me 14.5 ltr/100km. The Santa Fe 3.5ltr is giving me 11.3 ltr/100km :D

But to be fair the Explorer was a "real" car if you get what I mean, very solid built and weighed a ton. With the Santa Fe it feels more plasticy and much lighter.

I was actually wanting to buy a Tahoe or Suburban but just costs way too much money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts