Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may or may not be a problem-- I'm not sure how the "stock" headlights work. I posted this in the non-Turbo area-- either no one knows or no one cares. Perhaps someone here can answer.

I have a 2013 Ltd. 2.0T. I've installed HIDs in the low beams using the relay harness from XS. The low beams work fine. The high beam (halogen) bulbs work fine as DRL and as high beams. When the high beams are switched ON, the low beam HID remain on.

However with headlights OFF in the daylight, if I use the "flash-to-pass" function on the high beam (DRL) -- the HIDs also flash.

I'm just trying to learn if it is NORMAL for the low beam to also "flash" along with the high beam when you do a quick flash to pass. :confused:

The only reason this concerns me is that I have read that the rapid on/off condition of the flash to pass function is not ideal for the HID ballast units.

I'm sure someone with a stock headlight setup can verify this.

I never thought to check this before I installed the HIDs.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I just took my 2011 to the parking lot next door and used their window as a mirror:

With headlights off (only DRL on) the quick flash lights up both high & low beams

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is not that I dont care, I don't know the answer!
Thanks. Perhaps someday if you ever pull back on the lever to flash the high beams-- say when you are parked in front of a window or some surface that reflects, you might notice if both Hi & Lo headlights flash . . .

·
Registered
115 Posts
When low beams are on, only high beams flash. When low beams are off BOTH the high and low beams flash. With having HIDS your gonna have to drive with them on if you Flash-to-pass or you'll eventually burn up/mess up the HIDS. Hope this helped

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info-- that is certainly the way mine works. I just wanted to be sure it was the normal design condition.

Last night I spoke to a friend who is an EE (electrical engineer)-- he said a modification to the HID relay harness to add a time delay relay (like 2 seconds) would fix this-- but my HID low beams would be delayed two seconds when I turned on my lights-- He said "So what? If you need instant light turn the high beams on . . . " I'm not sure it would would be worth the effort.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I may be wrong, but I believe that's by design.

While cars technically ARE smart enough to tell the difference between night and day driving, they AREN'T often programmed to have different light configurations the their relays during the night and day.

When you pull the "Flash to Pass", you're basically sending an override command to the light relays.
At night, car's lows and fogs (L + F) are on at the same time. If you "flash to pass", by law, the car turns OFF the fog lights, as the High Beams come on (something about, only 4 forward facing lights are allowed). Basically meaning you start with L + F, then flashing gives you L + H.

Since the Flashing override triggers L+H at night, it triggers it during the day too. Biggest difference is, lows aren't on during the day.

It's something you could always change with some relays and re-wiring if you really wanted to figure it out.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Thanks for the info-- that is certainly the way mine works. I just wanted to be sure it was the normal design condition.

Last night I spoke to a friend who is an EE (electrical engineer)-- he said a modification to the HID relay harness to add a time delay relay (like 2 seconds) would fix this-- but my HID low beams would be delayed two seconds when I turned on my lights-- He said "So what? If you need instant light turn the high beams on . . . " I'm not sure it would would be worth the effort.
That would by my thought as well. I shouldn't be a difficult mod at all - in fact, you may be able to find a time delay relay that would fit in the same socket as the HID harness relay.

·
Registered
685 Posts
It's normal, but I wouldn't be worried about it unless you flash your lights constantly. A once in a while flash will not do anything bad to the HID's

If you're worried just use the horn.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No need for Highs with HIDs anyways! Ever seance installing my HIDs haven't run into a need for the Highs.
Well, I suppose the seance opened up your 6th sense, and since then you see better, farther in the dark. :)

I live in a state practically overrun with deer-- the farther I can get my high beams out in front the better I like it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My question is why are you "flashing to pass"... this is not Europe (BTW, that is illegal there and they do move for you). I do see that you are in KY, do you honestly think the redneck in the left lane doing 40 in his pickup that is held together by rust and pure luck is going to move because you flashed them?
Yes the redneck stuff is a joke; however, if you are worried about your HIDs, then use your blinker to get them to move over.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
My question is why are you "flashing to pass"...
I just use my accelerator to pass. And I have the lowly 2.4, not the turbo like you luck ducks! Put some pep in ya step!

Seriously though, I have not used my brights for almost 3 years. The occasional flash at the oncoming driver who forgets their brights are on or the stupid deer trying to cross a busy highway (love living in the country!) but other than that, my HIDs and driving lights are perfectly fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts