Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading another thread here and came across a possible explanation for a subtle sound I often hear from the front end somewhere. I wanted to re-read those posts, but now can't find the thread (Darn you Search function! :dry: ) and so I'll just ask again -

This noise has been heard ever since I bought my '07 brand new Sante Fe -

When I start speeding up from a stop, and am going no faster than, say, 10-30 mph,
I hear a soft clunk or hollow *thump* somewhere from the front half of the car. I hear it once - as if something is gently plopping into place or engaging ... rather than repeated "clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk" as I drive.

I believe it occurs once each time I turn on the car (rather than every time I accelerate during a drive) - even if I'm shopping and get in and out of the car several times in a day. Although I haven't kept a detailed log of each and every time it is heard.

If I recall correctly, some of you fine folks were commenting that either (I forget) the Anti-Lock Brake System, or the Electronic Stability Control ... or some other system that is abbreviated :grin:
does a self - check or some sort of engagement when first moving forward.

Any of this sound familiar?

It's so subtle that I never did remember to get it checked out, and now I'm approaching the end of my warranty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Huh - this from an Austrailian Sante Fe test driver - I don't know if it is my front *thump*, and am not familiar with the "Trek n' Tow" option:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/36874/hyundai-...-review-update/

"Hyundai spokesperson Ben Hershman said to us that it’s a characteristic of this car. The way the front suspension geometry and set-up works will give you that thumping sound when the suspension extends very quickly. So there’s not a lot that can be done.

Introduce Trek’N'Tow to the equation and things just get worse. We got our car back with another Trek’N'Tow kit to see if the first kit was faulty and, lo and behold, the same result. The supplier did come back to Hyundai, too, with an answer as to whether there was really an issue with the kit.

There’s a bush at the top of the rear dampers that we’re told under certain circumstances doesn’t quite absorb the forces exerted as effectively as it should.

The supplier has come up with a fix for this, and should any customer inquire about the thump, it will be replaced free of charge. Since it’s not a safety issue, Hyundai won’t be recalling the cars, but will look after each customer on a case-by-case basis."

·
Registered
156 Posts
QUOTE (Nittany Lioness @ Jun 7 2010, 01:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330606
Aha!

I think I found a reference to what you all were saying -

Does the Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) do a "self test" initially from a cold start, revealed as a thump or some feel it as a knock on the gas pedal?

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f14da63/33

If that's it, the solution is simple. Just pull that pesky ABS fuse and that problem should go away.. I should be a mechanic! :trophy: :trophy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts