Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normal Car Sometimes Won't Start

Am in Kathmandu, Nepal. Have an Accent 2006 manual drive. Had this problem 3 times after considerable gaps.

First time, driving normally during the day, stopped for fuel. Switched off ignition, filled up, then suddenly did not start. Turned over but did not start. About after 3 minutes of trying (sometimes continuously and sometimes keeping a short break), started normally and I was off. No error/warning light, etc. Nothing. Did not mention to the service center during regular servicing as thought it was a one off incident.

Second time, several months after first incident, a warm and sunny day, went for a pollution test. Parked to wait. Was called for the test. Started and went over, completed and parked again to wait for the certificate. Got it in about 15 minutes. Then again, turned over normally but did not start. This time, battery died after several tries. So I had some people push and it started first time and I carried on. No error/warning light, etc. Nothing.

Third time, about 2 months from the second incident, was driving normally in the early evening with no issues during the morning/day. Slowed down at a pothole in the road, and the engine just died. Turned over normally but did not start despite several tries. So while preserving the battery, I had some people push the car confident as in the second time that the car would start. But did not even after several tries. So while pondering what to do at the side of the road, after about 10 minutes, gave it another shot. Turned over and started normally on first try as if nothing had happened. No error/warning light, etc. Nothing.

Has been about a month since, no problems. Just takes a wee bit longer than usual to start.

I will mention this at the service center when I go for regular servicing but wanted to get independent advice as well beforehand.

Appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
trouble codes are needed. some accents around the world did not get the check engine light...not sure why. get a code reader on it.

i'm sure someone will mention coils as they are a known trouble spot with the MC, but i doubt it. its worth a look, but often you would get it stumbling hard as not all coils will fail at once.

sounds more like a bad relay...i do say this one a lot, but not a lot else makes sense if the ECU is just not doing its job of injecting fuel and firing spark plugs. that is, **IF** there are no other reported problems.

a good general check is worth a go. look for damaged or broken wiring especially. also check all your fuses.

·
Registered
157 Posts
trouble codes are needed. some accents around the world did not get the check engine light...not sure why. get a code reader on it.

i'm sure someone will mention coils as they are a known trouble spot with the MC, but i doubt it. its worth a look, but often you would get it stumbling hard as not all coils will fail at once.

sounds more like a bad relay...i do say this one a lot, but not a lot else makes sense if the ECU is just not doing its job of injecting fuel and firing spark plugs. that is, **IF** there are no other reported problems.

a good general check is worth a go. look for damaged or broken wiring especially. also check all your fuses.
Agreed, need codes, start with basics, could be a cam sensor, failing fuel pump etc.. Better address it soon before you need a tow truck!

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
I agree with the holding the pedal down to the floor. Mine would do this on occasion usually with a almost start condition first. There is an ECU update for this int he USA.

No trouble codes or check engine lights for it either. It just gets too much fuel and holding the pedal down while cranking clears it out.

S

·
0 Posts
2008 Accent stalls after starting on cold mornings. After warms up, runs perfectly. any ideas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts