Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

My usually reliable 97 model Lantra recently started showing signs of misbehaving.

Instead of kicking into life at the turn of the key, the vehicle started taking a little longer to fire up, eventually randomly taking up to 2 minutes to start. No fun.

I had fuel delivery at good pressure. New filter fitted for insurance.

Every so often the starter would baulk and the car would backfire. Again....no fun.

The car finally called it quits this Wednesday just gone when it would just not start at all.

Checked the hma.service site which commended a series of possibilities and tests.

So, here's what I discovered.

If your car is cranking and not starting and you're getting fuel, then obviously the issue is spark, right? Your first thought, if you're like me, would be the coil. All seemed in order, wiring and condition wise. Just to be sure, I changed the coil. No go. Changed the plugs and leads for the heck of it.

Did some more reading on hma.service.com and found that the coil won't fire if no signal is being received from the CAMshaft sensor. Stuck a screwdriver in a plug lead and placed it near the engine block and cranked the engine. No spark! Hmmm, methinks a new sensor is in order here.....

Priced a new one... AUD$265 + GST!! Rang a wrecking yard and got a working sensor for AUD$30. Great. While you're at it chuck me in a crank angle sensor...just in case... Another AUD$30. Still better than a new one, pricewise. (Thanks Tony at Mr Hyundai Spares, Long St, Smithfield).

Got them delivered and replaced the CAMshaft sensor. Still no start. Replaced the crank sensor and the thing leapt back to life.

Interestingly, hma.service.com did not include the crank sensor failing as a possible cause for the issues I experienced.

So, if you've fuel but no ignition, check those two items, the crank and camshaft sensors, in that order, first. And get them from a wrecking yard, first. If you work out which one is wrong and feel a bit leery about using 2nd hand parts, you can get a new one later.....but get moving first!! :)

Hope this is useful.

Cheers,

Andrew :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Yeah, seen it a few times on the forum: Get a code for camshaft sensor, when the problem is crankshaft sensor.

It's universal to most modern cars these days: No spark... crankshaft sensor. I was reading that camshaft sensor has more to do with the fuel injection.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello jsinton.

The challenge I had in this instance is that there were no codes generated.

Additionally, the hma.service.com site did not specify the camshaft sensor as being pertinent to the injection cycle but rather to the ignition circuit.

If, as you say(and I have no reason to doubt you) the "no spark=u/s crankshaft sensor" scenario is predominant then, it would be better for all, if sites such as hma.service.com reflected this fact.

Cheers,

·
Registered
626 Posts
There's not much to go wrong with a crankshaft sensor is there? It's just a coil of wire. Are you sure it wasn't just dirty contacts on the connector ? Where it is on the front of the engine and low down, it gets covered in grime which may cause the contacts to oxidise over time. When my car was playing up, I just plugged and unplugged the connector and it seemed to fix the problem. Have you done a continuity test on the old sensor ?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Ed.

You wouldn't think much could go wrong, I know.

Checked all the contacts. Looked better than the one I put in, to tell you the truth.

No I haven't done a continuity test. The car is running now. That's sufficient for me.

Cheers,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts