Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could not find a thread for my problem with a 2017 Tucson AWD SE-Plus non-turbo.

Intermittently it will act just like a car with too lean of mixture - you remember when the choke did not work and you stepped on the gas and it almost dies. I have been trying the different modes and it has never done it in the SPORT mode - has done it in both the ECO and NORMAL.

It happens if the vehicle is warmed up or near operating temperature. It will go for days and then like Sunday leaving a parking lot - stepped on the gas and it would not go - pumping the gas did not help - just have to hang there for about 2 to 3 seconds while it finally goes. Happened one time and almost caused an accident.

I do not have a DCT - just the regular automatic transmission. My wife's Ionic does have a DCT and this is NOT like the stumble from start like a DCT will have - it starts moving and goes maybe 5 feet or 2 seconds and then stepping on the gas peddle does nothing.

I have mentioned it to my dealer and he really did not seem to understand.

·
Registered
186 Posts
might need a tune-up
check engine wiring for mice problem
find another dealership
shouldn't pump the gas pedal
how many miles are on the car
bad computer
are there any system software updates needed?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Take it to your dealership. Something is wrong. My 2016 Hyundai Tucson SE (non-turbo) has performed flawlessly. Absolutely no driveability problems.

·
Registered
842 Posts
might need a tune-up
find another dealership
bad computer
You can't tune up a fuel injected car, other than replacing spark plugs, getting different injectors and getting an ECU programmer.

For the OP I would check your vacuum lines. I had similar stumbles on my last car when I replaced the clutch and missed a vacuum line underneath the airbox. Couldn't see it until you took the airbox off.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Probably a programming issue, best bet is a trip to the dealership.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have also noticed a slight hesitation in my 2017 SE plus, it only happens in ECO or regular mode not sport. It does not feel like it is going to stall out just a hesitation. I was going to ask the dealer when I take it in for the first oil change.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Take it to your dealership. Something is wrong. My 2016 Hyundai Tucson SE (non-turbo) has performed flawlessly. Absolutely no driveability problems.
Same, zero issues in almost 2 years. Though the US SE has the 'Nu GDI 2.0L' I believe? We have only the 'Nu MPI 2.0L' variant at all trims, at least when I bought mine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
might need a tune-up
find another dealership
bad computer
The car is 4 month old - 3000 miles - started doing it when it was around 1000 miles - always kept in closed mice free garage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same, zero issues in almost 2 years. Though the US SE has the 'Nu GDI 2.0L' I believe? We have only the 'Nu MPI 2.0L' variant at all trims, at least when I bought mine.
Engine: 2.0L DOHC 16V I4 w/CVVT MPI
Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic w/SHIFTRONIC -inc:
drive mode select
Axle Ratio: 3.648
GVWR: 4740 lbs
Electronic Transfer Case
Automatic Full-Time All-Wheel Drive

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Engine: 2.0L DOHC 16V I4 w/CVVT MPI
Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic w/SHIFTRONIC -inc:
drive mode select
Axle Ratio: 3.648
GVWR: 4740 lbs
Electronic Transfer Case
Automatic Full-Time All-Wheel Drive
Actually - this is from the actual Window Sticker

*2.0L Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) 4-Cylinder Engine INCLUDED
*164 Horsepower @ 6200 rpm/ 151 lb-ft torque @ 4000 rpm INCLUDED
*6-Speed Automatic Transmission with SHIFTRONIC® INCLUDED
*Active On-Demand AWD System w/ AWD Lock INCLUDED

·
Registered
844 Posts
...always kept in closed mice free garage.
How do you know for sure that your garage is mouse free? We would all like to believe that our garages are mouse-free, but unless it is completely sealed and you never open the garage doors, you can't guarantee it. Not saying that mice chewing the wires is the issue--it probably isn't. We had mouse problems of our own on our Tucson (hint: make sure that the 1-inch holes in the frame are all plugged).

·
Registered
130 Posts
How do you know for sure that your garage is mouse free? We would all like to believe that our garages are mouse-free, but unless it is completely sealed and you never open the garage doors, you can't guarantee it. Not saying that mice chewing the wires is the issue--it probably isn't. We had mouse problems of our own on our Tucson (hint: make sure that the 1-inch holes in the frame are all plugged).
I have had mouse problems as well. Yuck! What 1" holes are you talking about ... where are they ... what did you do to plug them?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I had the problem a few short weeks after I purchased the car - I have not ever seen any evidence of mice - we have squirrels around here and rabbits.

I appreciate your concern but the area I live in is not conducive to mice for the most part - a new subdivision where everything down to two feet below the original surface was scraped off and sold - was Illinois farm land and the top two feet were worth more than the land.

I am thinking some sensor is bad - but don't know if the dealer can pinpoint it very easy - very intermittent - happened on Sunday and that was the first time in three weeks. If I keep it in the Sport Mode it does not seem to do it ever - gas mileage is not good but at least it goes - going to have to talk to the dealer next time it happens I will make note of the time it happens- maybe the computer keeps track of that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You can't tune up a fuel injected car, other than replacing spark plugs, getting different injectors and getting an ECU programmer.

For the OP I would check your vacuum lines. I had similar stumbles on my last car when I replaced the clutch and missed a vacuum line underneath the airbox. Couldn't see it until you took the airbox off.
With my 2016 Tucson every 15,000 miles the engine requires carbon cleaning.

·
Registered
842 Posts
With my 2016 Tucson every 15,000 miles the engine requires carbon cleaning.
That's not a tune up, that's a cleaning/maintenance like replacing fluids or a filter.

Also, I don't see anything in the maintenance schedule about carbon cleaning. The only thing other than inspect at 15k miles is to replace the cabin filter, which should help with engine performance. https://www.hyundaiusa.com/maintenance-schedule/index.aspx

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have had mouse problems as well. Yuck! What 1" holes are you talking about ... where are they ... what did you do to plug them?
First, verified that the holes should be plugged, by looking underneath a new Tucson (she had purchased hers used). Sure enough, they were all plugged in the new one. Each of the plugs is made of rubber and has a small hole in the center of it.
She purchased these from Amazon.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Flush-Mount-Black-Plastic-Sheet/dp/B00PEZS37I/ref=sr_1_3[/ame]
We cut a small hole in the center of them (to ensure they drained as well as the OEM ones), and plugged the rest of the un-plugged holes.
Incidentally, this was precipitated by the fact that in response to our complaint about the smell, our dealer found a dead mouse underneath the plastic piece in the bottom of the doorjamb. Looking underneath the vehicle, the only way we could see that the mouse could have gotten in there was through these one-inch holes in the body.

·
Registered
844 Posts
...where are they...
Didn't answer this. On the underside of the vehicle there are two channels that run from about the firewall to the back of the vehicle. Also some other hollow sections. There are either 4 or 6 one-inch holes, two or three on each side. Each of these holes should be plugged with a rubber plug, with a small hole about the size of a paper punch in the center of each. If you see a one inch hole that's not plugged, find a plug and plug it!

·
Registered
844 Posts
We also put a tray of a mouse and pest repellent that I purchased at a hardware store under the vehicle. We keep it there year round and refresh the contents every couple of months.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Pardon, just find this a little funny. I've the opposite 'problem'. Lots of cats around so no mice, but I did once find a little kitty warming himself in the engine bay. So much extra space at the back of the block they can easily crawl up in there during the cooldown hours.
Now I'm very careful before I drive off every day.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Didn't answer this. On the underside of the vehicle there are two channels that run from about the firewall to the back of the vehicle. Also some other hollow sections. There are either 4 or 6 one-inch holes, two or three on each side. Each of these holes should be plugged with a rubber plug, with a small hole about the size of a paper punch in the center of each. If you see a one inch hole that's not plugged, find a plug and plug it!
I will need to look. I've had a mouse in my air cleaner compartments. Yes, both the engine intake and the cabin air intake.

I'm pretty sure that the problem was the firewood pile in the carport next to where the car is parked. The firewood has been moved. Hopefully this moves the mousies as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts