Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Elantra GT and I noticed the other days, couple of days, where we had really cold mornings when I started my car I could hear the valves or lifters tick ticking away. Now I know that when its cold it takes a few minutes for the thick oil to warm up but I was surprised at the noise. The car has about 200km and my wife's 2010 Elantra with about 40, 000 km doesn't make any. Anyone else have the same thing ? Should I be concerned ?
Thanks

·
Registered
459 Posts
I wouldn't be too considered. Mine's been like that since I got it. I currently have just a tick over 37,000km on the clock.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I wouldnt be concerned either. The engine in the elantra is very "agricultural"....sounds more like a farm tractor when cold and idling. I change my oil every 5k miles and it still makes thats sound...its just not that refined but i dont think theres anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
All these engines have solid lifters, instead of hydraulic lifters, which most all passenger vehicles had. They were invented to quiet the lifters down, at the expense of a minor drop in power.

Performance cars, & racing engines, have used solid lifters for years, to get every little bit of power out of the engine. Of course solid lifters are cheaper, & noisier, but give you direct less maintenance action.

hydraulic lifters were designed for Caddy's, Lincoln's, and other luxury cars to be whisper quiet.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have a 2013 Elantra GT and I noticed the other days, couple of days, where we had really cold mornings when I started my car I could hear the valves or lifters tick ticking away. Now I know that when its cold it takes a few minutes for the thick oil to warm up but I was surprised at the noise. The car has about 200km and my wife's 2010 Elantra with about 40, 000 km doesn't make any. Anyone else have the same thing ? Should I be concerned ?
Thanks
Its normal and you cant compare the two. the Nu 1.8 is a completely different engine with a aluminum block that absorbs less sound than cast iron.
Everyone's right about the noisiness.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Solid lifters require more maintenance then hydraulic. Hydraulic takes up the changing valve lash as the valve seats wear. Solid lifters require periodical adjustment to combat valve seat wear. That IS if our cars indeed have solid lifters.

Back to the original post, my car is also a little noisy for the first couple minutes of operation..

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Read this article from Wikipedia, it tells the difference between the two.

Hydraulic tappet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting if the Elantra has Solid Lifters, this quote from the article would make sense because our engine is noisy at startup: Conventional solid valve lifters required regular adjusting to maintain a small clearance between the valve and its rocker or cam follower. This space allowed for thermal expansion, and prevented the parts from binding. This clearance space meant noisy operation and earlier wear, as the parts would rattle against one another until the parts heated up and expanded.

If the Elantra has Hydraulic lifters, this would also make sense: the valvetrain will rattle loudly on startup due to oil draining from the lifters when the vehicle is parked. This is not considered significant provided the noise disappears within a couple of minutes,

Do newer Hyundai engines have hydraulic or solid lifters? according to the article: Hydraulic lifters were popular on automobiles designed in the 1980s, but most newer cars have reverted to bucket-and-shim mechanical lifters.

My question is what kind of lifters are in Hyundai engines?

·
Registered
112 Posts
So I was right then... Next time I see my buddy at the hyundai dealer, I'll check the maintenance intervals for valve lash adjustment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The mid to late 90's up to 2000 maybe 2001 were Hydraulic lifters. The Beta 1 engines.
2002+ began the Beta 2 engines which had solid lifters, and ran lower oil pressure both in an attempt to reduce friction and resistance resulting in more power. All of this is only referring to the 4 cyl engines. 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 Liters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The mid to late 90's up to 2000 maybe 2001 were Hydraulic lifters. The Beta 1 engines.
2002+ began the Beta 2 engines which had solid lifters, and ran lower oil pressure both in an attempt to reduce friction and resistance resulting in more power. All of this is only referring to the 4 cyl engines. 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 Liters.
Hi!
I am an owner of a Kia Ceed 1.4 with the G4FA engine. My issue is somehow related to this topic since a lot of hyundais and kias share engines. So, I face the known ticking/rattling noise.
The car has 120k km on it and I have the chainset changed, the valves adjusted and the head repaired. I recently changed to 5W-40 oil. The car is pre-owned. Furthermore, I have the pre-cat changed since it was missing!
This is the engine noise, idling, last winter, before the valve adjustment and chainset change
And this is the noise from the interior before changing oil to 5W-40 fully synthetic
Here is the noise after the oil change, the phone lying on the floormat RH. The car is warmed up, however parked (not driven)
And here is the same noise from the engine bay this time, the car warmed up
Finally, here is the engine noise from the right hand side floormat. The car has been driven somehow aggressively (over 3k RPM) for about 20mins)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPQ1eePwsrc

I wanna know if this noise can be considered normal. It can be heard in the cabin unfortunatelly and these videos describe the best this noise.
Any kind of advice or experience sharing will be very valuable to me.
Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts