Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a high pitch noise that’s goes away when the clutch is pushed in. But only does it randomly and not all the time.

Thing is I replaced the clutch, tob and pressure plate 20k kms ago.

Was it a dud clutch kit?

Or is the pilot bearing I didn’t replace

Or something being driven by serpentine belts and just a coincidence it goes away with the clutch in.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Pilot bearing will make a noise when the clutch is depressed and may increase just as you start to release the pedal but not when your got your foot off. Throwout bearing should start making a noise as you start depressing the pedal and may increase the further you push the pedal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Which getz do you drive? Does it have a pilot bearing?
I know mine certainly doesn't.

Ive had mine making a squeaking noise that came from the clutch slave cylinder pushrod rubbing on the clutch fork where they meet. A little heavy grease in there sorted that out.
Easy to tell if that is the cause, just holding it steady from under the bonnet would stop the squeak.

There are a-few things that could be causing noise inside the bell housing but its probably not worth taking it back apart. Did you install the clutch yourself?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It’s a 2007 1.4L g4ee just assumed it had a pilot bearing been ages since I replaced the clutch (time wise)

Definitely TOB as soon as I tap the clutch it goes away.

Also have another noise sounds like loose chain slapping once it fires up but goes away within 1min.

As far as I know the only chain inside is between the cams??

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
That's a good point. Very few front wheel drive cars have a pilot/spigot bearing. Had overlooked that. If it goes away after touching the clutch pedal (light tap) it can only be the throw out bearing against the pressure plate. Uneven height with the pressure plate spring can cause this. May have been damaged during new clutch installation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It’s a 2007 1.4L g4ee just assumed it had a pilot bearing been ages since I replaced the clutch (time wise)

Definitely TOB as soon as I tap the clutch it goes away.

Also have another noise sounds like loose chain slapping once it fires up but goes away within 1min.

As far as I know the only chain inside is between the cams??
The chain slapping noise could either be the chain between the cams or the hydraulic lifters. If it goes away quickly after startup I wouldn't worry too much. It will either be the lifters or the chain tensioner slapping whilst the engine builds enough oil pressure to operate them correctly. Just give it regular oil changes and it should be fine :)
Do double check that there are no common chain guide issues for your engine, sometimes the plastic ones like to break. Often they are cheap and easy enough to replace though.

The symptoms you describe sound exactly like the noise I heard when my slave cylinder was rubbing on its cup in the clutch fork. I would eliminate that possibility by giving it a squirt of lubricant before pointing to the TOB. I think the clutch fork assembly on our cars actually retracts the TOB enough for it to come away from the pressure plate when released. I could be wrong but my bet really wouldn't be on the TOB itself.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks tried spraying the clutch fork assembly at the slave cylinder.
didn't help thanks anyway

it does go away quickly from startup so ill either leave it or take the valve cover off and have a quick look.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
TOB had worn away at the gearbox shaft, new clutch and s/h gearbox and she running much better.

Wont buy eBay parts again.
The pressure plate wasn't perfectly flat either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts