Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Elantra VE with hill assist that functions as designed and holds when on a hill. However, recently when I take my foot off the break and accelerate (which deactivates hill hold) I hear a noise (kinda like a creaking boing sound, hard to explain) that wasn't there before. Any ideas? It still works so I'm waiting for my next service visit.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That happened a few times with my '17 VE, on pretty steep hills in San Francisco. I attribute it to a light bit of brake-binding.

My car would occasionally make that sound otherwise but wasn't frequent enough to warrant a closer look. Difference being, though, my car had rear drums. Rear discs became standard after '18.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Also, Hill Assist is standard on all of these vehicles. It needs a certain degree of incline to engage. The sound may differ a little bit depending on year and trim (rear drums vs rear brakes). It's similar to warmer/hot stops on hills, and when you gently release the brake you sometimes get a "groan" or a rub sound for a moment, especially if you have to reapply due to traffic.

I'd chalk it up to normal. Unless your car pulls to one side braking, or had a shimmy, squeal, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts