Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Santa Fe AWD, I notice that when I apply the brakes at 100 KM or higher I hear a 'thumping' noise, the noise is hard to describe, thumping is the best I could come up with, the noise goes away once the vehicle is down to 80 KM, any ideas on why this is?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
When this occurs, can you feel any vibration in the steering wheel that corresponds to the frequency of the noise?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not noticed any vibration in the steering wheel, I will test again when I go to work later though.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Because it appears from your post to be a low frequency noise, I will assume that it can be difficult to isolate, but do you have any sense at all if it's a front or rear sound?

I also assume that there is some repetitive nature to the thumping whose frequency corresponds to your speed as you drift down to 80km/h?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would say it seems to be coming from the rear but not 100% certain on that. I hear it every time I use the brakes when at highway speeds, always goes away once I get to the 80 KM mark. I do not hear this sound at any other time.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Previous question was important.

"I also assume that there is some repetitive nature to the thumping whose frequency corresponds to your speed as you drift down to 80km/h?"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure if thumping is the best way to describe the sound but it goes dada-dada-dada until I get to 80, so yes it is repetitive, I hope that helps.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
One more try. Does your dada-dada-dada decrease in its frequency as you are slowing down from 100+ to 80km/h? I'm (desperately and unsuccessfully) trying to determine whether it's directly related to wheel speed or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts