Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all, I have experienced a wierd buzzing/rattling noise on start up that lasts for a few seconds. It only happened after the car had been sat overnight or all day at work. It wouldn't happen again, even if I turned the engine off during the noise and then started it again.

These last few days I the noise has lasted a little longer and now makes the noise under load. Has anyone else experienced this before?

** To note the Cambelt, tensioner, water pump and oil pump were fitted around 2000 miles ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Around 500 miles ago. Think it was 10w40. Will have to confirm when I get home. Do you think it could be too thick?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Check the sound deadening cover on the top of the engine. The cover for my 2010 2.2 diesel had one broken leg, the vibration of the cold engine during start-up created rattling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check the sound deadening cover on the top of the engine. The cover for my 2010 2.2 diesel had one broken leg, the vibration of the cold engine during start-up created rattling.
I will check this at the weekend. Currently not using the vehicle at the minute. I'm sure everything is secure though

·
Registered
80 Posts
Was the oil pump change DIY? If not, and if nothing obvious, and if the vehicle was mine, then I would take it back to the garage that did the work to check if oil pressure is an issue. Connecting up an oil pressure gauge would be useful.

Your owners handbook should specify oil, this link suggests 5w30 https://www.whichoil.info/hyundai/santa-fe#santa-fe-cm-2-2-crdi-16v-cpf-dpf-4wd-d4eb-110-113kw-dt-2006

I use 5w30 in my 2010 2.2 diesel, camchain engine, Shell Helix or Liqui Moly. If the oil pump change was DIY then I would start with an oil change, can also try moly type oil additives. Other posters will no doubt have different views re: engine oil additives. My engine seems to chew up oil, it gets noticeably noisier after about 12k miles or so, it quietens down after an oil change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts