Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2012 Elantra for a year and a half now, and just about a month ago I started noticing a noise coming from the dashboard area on the passenger side. It sounds like a small marble rolling around. I only hear it when I'm taking sharp turns. I've already taken everything out of the glove box, and I checked all of the little compartments in the doors. I even checked under the seats, but I can still hear the noise. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and how they fixed it.

·
22,785 Posts
I know this is going to sound crazy: Did you check up where the sunglass holder compartment is located between the map lights? I had an ID badge up there and the retractable collar clip was dancing around inside. It drove me crazy until I figured it out, quite by accident. Just another place to search. The sound echoes around inside the cabin and sometimes it's just hard to pinpoint the source of the noise.

Have someone get in the passenger seat and listen while you turn. Maybe two heads are better than one. And your attention is diverted from the road while you're driving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just went and checked the sunglass compartment, and nothing is in there. I'll try to convince someone to go on a short trip with me tomorrow and try to find the exact location of the noise. :confused:

·
22,785 Posts
So much for that plan. Back to Plan B! I hope you find this gremlin. Could something have fallen down the dash vent and be rolling around there? Or, inside the air box where the cabin air filter is located behind the glove box? Maybe Mack Brown's retirement plan is lodged inside there.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Years ago when I had my 2004 Santa Fe I heard a coin distinctly rolling from one side to another whenever I would make a turn. After a few weeks I could no longer take it driving me absolutely batty so I pulled up the rear seat cushions (they released easily for folding the seat down) and found nothing. So I took it one and then two steps further, first removing the plastic tray below the seats and then removing the seats entirely and pulling up the carpet. I found some stale gummy bears but nothing else. Upon putting the back seat back together I bumped into the backside of the front passenger seat and heard a slight 'clink' so I tapped the seat again with my hand. *clink* :dry:

Turns out my sister had just dumped a bunch of crap into the mesh seatback pocket and a quarter had found its way into the plastic runner at the bottom. Talk about going all out for nothing. :(

·
22,785 Posts
Sisters! But what's a brother to do? That's a great story, Andrew. Gonna bring it up at Thanksgiving dinner next week?

Thanksgiving. Sort of like family reunions. Everybody brings one covered dish and one unresolved issue! :grin:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've had my 2012 Elantra for a year and a half now, and just about a month ago I started noticing a noise coming from the dashboard area on the passenger side. It sounds like a small marble rolling around. I only hear it when I'm taking sharp turns. I've already taken everything out of the glove box, and I checked all of the little compartments in the doors. I even checked under the seats, but I can still hear the noise. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and how they fixed it.
Sounds alot like this tread, give it a look.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/149489-sloshing-sound-behind-dashboard.html?highlight=sloshing

·
22,785 Posts
Acorns, marbles, water sloshing, sunglasses, quarters, yadda-yadda-yadda...all known, posted, nuisances. I can't wait to see what this culprit is so we can add it to the list. This just keeps getting better.

The quest may be better than a successful result. At least it's newsworthy. Unlike some of my nonsense. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hello, Amigos!
I have a similar noise (like loosen plastic) when the road has some bumps...
But I dont know if the noise is from the driver side door panel or the dash itself on Friday I will give you the results (If they fix this)..

·
Registered
288 Posts
Funny...whenever I go over a speedbump each morning, I heard what sounds like water flowing from further under my hood on left to closer to my door on the left. Never thought about this till now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, no answer yet! Tonight I took a small mirror and a flashlight and tried to look into the vents on the top of the dash, but I couldn't really see too much.

While I was in there I decided to wipe down the interior, and while doing so I ran into my little dash buddy (a small little toy that sits in front of the speedometer). He may be the culprit, but I'll know for sure tomorrow after I make my 120 mile trek back home.

If I still hear it tomorrow, I'll probably take it to the service department and ask them to check it out sometime either this week or the next. I doubt it's a serious issue, but it is loud enough to be annoying. And it's not really a liquid-y type sound. It's definitely a solid object that's rolling around somewhere in the car. Hopefully I'll get this figured out before the new year. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
One thing Hyundai has with their interior is 'different plastics'

they peel, fade & wear out pretty quick.. and they all seem to have that purplish hue to them

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I also have a rattle that seem to come from the dash on the driver's side but I only hear it during winter, cold may be the trigger.

·
22,785 Posts
I also have a rattle that seem to come from the dash on the driver's side but I only hear it during winter, cold may be the trigger.
When the cabin heats up, does the rattle appear to diminish? Maybe the trips with the heater on aren't long enough to allow most items to really have an opportunity to reach room temperature. A longer trip might answer that. Other than that, I do not have the slightest clue.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
When the cabin heats up, does the rattle appear to diminish? Maybe the trips with the heater on aren't long enough to allow most items to really have an opportunity to reach room temperature. A longer trip might answer that. Other than that, I do not have the slightest clue.
hum, that's an interesting question Rich, it's true that my drive to work is not long enough to properly warm up the car from the engine to the inside of the car so next time I do a long drive I'll check that out. Thanks for the hint. But the source of the sound is hard to pinpoint, it seems to be coming from the dash, or maybe the windshield but I doubt that, I first thought it was coming from the suspension but Hyundai told me my suspension is solid. Nothing loose there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts