Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from the Balmy Northeast! Just had the ride from **** home, snowing here and cold, 15 degrees F, and wiper fluid not flowing. Had this same problem a few weeks a go when we had another cold spell and I blamed it on bad wiper fluid. I have since drained all the fluid and refilled with fluid good for 30 below freezing. Obviously this is not the issue, my wife Elantra and Daughters Elantra use same fluid with no issues. Any way, when I got home tonight I popped the hood and check the fluid reservoir and it was liquid not frozen. I also depressed the both the front & rear wiper fluid buttons and I could not here a wiper pump.
I am guessing I never had a fluid issue and may have a problem with the pump at low temps. Worked fine at the 20 deg. F and above. Tried calling the dealer, and of course they were gone because of the storm.

Any thoughts,???
2013 Santa Fe Sport Turbo

·
Registered
759 Posts
15 F is about -9 C... and it's been as cold as -27 around here so far this year with no issues... my washer fluid is rated at -35. With that said, there might have been a little bit of water or condensation get into the system at some point - which is now frozen... or the pump gone for a ****.
If you can, take it into somewhere warm for a bit.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Greetings from the Balmy Northeast! Just had the ride from **** home, snowing here and cold, 15 degrees F, and wiper fluid not flowing. Had this same problem a few weeks a go when we had another cold spell and I blamed it on bad wiper fluid. I have since drained all the fluid and refilled with fluid good for 30 below freezing. Obviously this is not the issue, my wife Elantra and Daughters Elantra use same fluid with no issues. Any way, when I got home tonight I popped the hood and check the fluid reservoir and it was liquid not frozen. I also depressed the both the front & rear wiper fluid buttons and I could not here a wiper pump.
I am guessing I never had a fluid issue and may have a problem with the pump at low temps. Worked fine at the 20 deg. F and above. Tried calling the dealer, and of course they were gone because of the storm.

Any thoughts,???
Had the same problem last winter. Turned out the nozzles were frozen. It seems that some water/moisture was pulled back into them after I used them and then the temps dropped overnight. Thawed them out with a blow dryer and all was good again. Thankfully I haven't had a recurrence since then.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input everyone.

TENPIN28: Do you remember is all three nozzles (front & rear) were frozen? I find it odd that all three froze at the same time.

Also, does anyone know if the nozzles are frozen will the pump work? Or because it can push fluid it doesn't turn on? It doesn't sound like my pump turns on.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm in Northern Ontario.. temps have been down to almost -50C (-58F) at times this winter and my washer fluid has still flowed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Same thing has happened to me twice as well a finger tip on the nozzle will usually clear them, as I don't usually carry a blow dryer with me that will plug into a 12v outlet. Yes it is a pita on $30k plus vehicle but it is great in the snow even on stock rubber.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone.

TENPIN28: Do you remember is all three nozzles (front & rear) were frozen? I find it odd that all three froze at the same time.

Also, does anyone know if the nozzles are frozen will the pump work? Or because it can push fluid it doesn't turn on? It doesn't sound like my pump turns on.
It was just both front nozzles on mine. The rear was working fine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just my front nozzles as well happened again tonight, unfortunately in inclement weather it is an extreme safety issue. I grow tired of pulling over to throw snow on the glass.

·
Registered
120 Posts
-26c here this morning (-15f), no problems on my end. I've used the Pacer brand from Canadian Tire for the last 8 years, rated to -35 I believe.

·
22,793 Posts
I grow tired of pulling over to throw snow on the glass.
Not my idea of a good time, either. Interesting that these -35F rated washer fluids would freeze.

I've been using the Rain-X brand at Wal-Mart. Never had a problem. But I've also never encountered the ridiculous cold weather you folks get, either. Tomorrow will be about 14F with -5F wind chill. That's Springtime to some of you fine people.

I don't know how you tolerate it. I really don't. You guys rock! :beer:

·
Registered
870 Posts
Left my house this morning and it was -1F and washer worked fine. The wiper though had hard rubber and was quite noisy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
-26c here this morning (-15f), no problems on my end. I've used the Pacer brand from Canadian Tire for the last 8 years, rated to -35 I believe.
Interesting... 2 years ago I bought the Pacer -35C from Canadian Tire and it froze and clogged up my Civic and when I checked it in the garage all the containers were frozen?!. Seems you've been OK with it, maybe I got a bad batch or something.

I also use the Laurentide -45C from Costco. Great stuff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE: Since my original post, it finally warmed up enough this past weekend where the wiper fluid flowed normally. I drained all the fluid and lines dry. Refilled with -30F fluid. Tested, and everything was fine. Today it was +10F on the ride to work and the front wipers had no fluid flowing, yet the rear wiper worked fine. ??????

·
22,793 Posts
Bob, I was doing pretty good reading this until that last part. Rear works and front doesn't? That's beyond my comprehension. How can one work, one not work, same fluid? Yet, it worked earlier when warmer? :confused:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree! It's puzzling. I'm thinking maybe there was/are two problems, one was the original fluid freezing. Two possible debris in the front line clogging the nozzle tips. ????

·
Registered
2013 Sonata SE
248 Posts
crazy that you just posted this because my boss/father in law's 2010 silverado just had this same issue. it had warm temp washer fluid in it and after that snow last week (i'm in virginia right now) just recently it finally sprayed the fluid but it was taken to the dealership for a different problem with a check engine light and they noted that the washer pump had in fact froze and cracked and will need to be replaced. so i bet that is your problem as well

·
Registered
25 Posts

Any thoughts,???
mine did the same thing , took it to the dealer they replaced washer pump, said it shorted out

1 - 20 of 26 Posts