Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have 177,00 reasonably trouble free miles. I just had the battery replaced at the dealer as the morning of my oil service appointment the car would not start. When the key was turned everything went blank on the dash (door lights, odometer, clock). A minute later it started and as it was the original battery I agreed to let them replace it. However next morning same thing but now won't start period. My neighborhood mechanic and his meter said the battery and all fuses/relays are fine. He says there is no voltage going to the ignition and thinks there is a loose wire somewhere. Thinking back there has been a slight delay on the ignition for several years which I attributed to a hot restart with the AC on. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sounds to me like either the ignition switch, or something with the wiring to and from it. Or the starter solenoid. Do you happen to have a heavy keychain that dangles from the car keys while driving?

I'd recommend tracing it from the starter and going back toward the ignition. Reason being because it's usually easier to get to and diagnose IMO. Depends on how familiar you are with electrical stuff and the setup of your car tho.

My sister's car had a similar issue. I started with the ignition switch, then checked the fail-safe switch on the clutch [the one that requires it to be pushed in to allow the car to turn over, but on an auto it'd be tied into the brake pedal depending on make/model]. THEN I tried jumping the solenoid on the starter, and when that didn't work I pulled the starter. Turned out the ground wire on the solenoid had rusted right thru, but it was odd in that one day it worked fine and then the next it was stuck in my driveway.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Follow the battery earth lead from the terminal down to where it bolts to the inner guard liner, undo the bolt remove the lead and clean the corrosion away, coat the panel, the bolt, and the lug on the cable with petroleum grease, or some other anti corrosion preservative. Refit everything and do the bolt up tight. There's also a cable from near the same point over to the engine case, clean this one as well. Chances are better than good that is your problem.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
something isn't right here with the wiring...the fact that you lost all power to the dash suggests that there's a bad connection somewhere, possibly ground fault. that's caused by either losing your battery connection or a load so large that the battery cannot supply

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you to DiscoBubba, Ray G and Zero Gravity for your informative answers hopefully my neighborhood backyard mechanic can check this out today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you to Disco Bubba, Ray G and zero gravity for your informative posts hopefully I will have someone following your suggestions today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts