Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the wiring kit and a hitch for my '09 Santa Fe so I can tow my trailer. My Reverse, Turn Signal's, and Brake lights work fine, but I don't have any tail lights. I am sure it is not the trailer, since they work fine on my Avalanche.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I'd start with the obvious... scrutinize the trailer's light bulbs to make sure the tail light filaments aren't burned, and clean the sockets with alcohol and sandpaper. Mine need periodic cleaning or the tail lights malfunction.

The most likely culprit, however, is a bad connection between the harness' brown wire and the vehicle itself. Check the connection carefully, especially if you used those blue plastic clips. Also verify that you're tapping into the correct vehicle wire, and getting power when the tail lights are on.

It also possible, though less likely, that your wiring harness is defective. The only way to know for sure is to verify that the brown wire is live going into harness but dead coming out.

Good luck,

Don

·
Registered
237 Posts
Have seen this on my former Entourage. All lights work properly until you hit the tail lights (night time running lights). There is some electronic 'brain' that senses when there is too much draw on the curicuit and cuts it off prior to blowing a fuse. If your tail light wireing is tapped into the left or right taillight of the santa fe it is expecting one bulbs worth of draw and you just added 11 or so bulbs to the cirucit. You may notice that the left or right tail lamps on the Santa Fe go out at the same time depending how you are wired up.

You probably need one of these. clicky for adaptor of if you have already tapped into your wiring or are comfortable with doing so a modulite adaptor will work. We used the latter.

In a nutshell, it connects to a 12v powersupply from the battery, your Santa Fe's lights, and the trailer plug. It senses when your taillights have been turned on from your vehicles wireing and then turns on the trailers tail lights using the direct 12v supply. The electronics don't see the additional load because it is drawn on its own circuit from the battery.

This baffled our RV dealer techs however, when I called the hitch shop that had done the hitch and wiring they knew exactly what I needed. Many Oddesys & Windstars need it but they weren't sure on the Entourage because they hadn't done one before.

Here is one installed on another Entourage. clicky

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (afob3 @ Jun 20 2010, 09:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334775
In a nutshell, it connects to a 12v powersupply from the battery, your Santa Fe's lights, and the trailer plug. It senses when your taillights have been turned on from your vehicles wireing and then turns on the trailers tail lights using the direct 12v supply. The electronics don't see the additional load because it is drawn on its own circuit from the battery.
You're describing a powered adaptor, which was likely part of the dealer wiring kit mentioned in the original post. There shouldn't be any need for more parts... just better connections.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If he has power at the brown wire coming out of the Santa Fe (checked with a volt meter or other tester) then doesn't as soon as the trailer is hooked up it is the computer cutting it off. All will look good electrically until that extra load from the trailer is applied.

What was included in the 'wire kit' that was installed? If it was a trailer plug with a pigtail of wires to be tapped in behind the tail lights it will work with a small utility trailer with few running lights. The OP is going to have to find out if there is a modulite device that supplies the 12v to the trailer rather than pulling that much amperage from the tail light circuit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for all the help.

It turns out that the harness was bad going from the trailer, it was missing a pin. The reason why it was working while in my Avalanche was because the pin was stuck in the adapter of the Avalanche so it was still making that connection.

Again, thanks for all the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts