Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 Sante Fe Sport 6 cyl suddenly lost both tail lights and the plate light on the driver's side only. All the bulbs are good. I checked continuity between the tail light socket hot and ground and got .7 ohms, the same as the working side. All brake lights work fine as well as the turn signals. When I tried the turn signals the passenger side works correctly the two bulbs on the tail light go on and the bottom outer (brake light) bulb blinks. When left turn signal is used the bottom outer bulb blinks and the the outer top (tail light) bulb blinks also but dimmer than the turn signal. The same happens when the lock button is pushed. When the unlock button is pushed, the working side tail lights go on and the bottom outer bulb blinks twice. The left side top outer (tail light) and the bottom (brake light) both blink twice but the tailgate tail light only blinks once. I changed the smart junction box only to find the problem still there as well as the driver's side headlight led trim light and the DS side marker are now also not working. I have verified that all fuses are good. Can anyone she'd some light as to what may be the problem. Thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
Jodoob,

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you may have more than one issue to deal
with. Why did you change out the smart junction box? Just curious here. I believe
your problem with the rear lamps is due to a connection or ground in the rear hatch
area. If your car has the mirror turn signals, do they work normally? I have an idea
or two for you to consider: First, you may have a ground that is common to the left
rear lamps as well as perhaps a signal loss in a connector in a tail gate harness. Take
a look at the attached diagrams and note commonalities with faulty lamps and GR01,
a ground in the tailgate, see picture 149 in the CL-25. You may want to inspect, scuff
the area and re-secure the connection. That ground works with lamps on the left rear.
While you are there, take a look at FR-21 in picture 142, there may be a faulty connection
in that connector.
As for the driver side front lamp area, I will address that in another thread later.
Do let us know how your troubleshooting proceeds.

Good luck,
Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0t limited
249 Posts
Do you have a trailer hitch? Check the wiring, make sure there is no water in the 4-pin connector. I would even try to completly disconnect the trailer module (there is OEM connectors for it, under the car near the rear bumper if I remember well, follow the wires).

Else try to disconnect completly one tail light assy "module" at a time? Inspect all connectors for water damage or corrosion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jodoob,

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you may have more than one issue to deal
with. Why did you change out the smart junction box? Just curious here. I believe
your problem with the rear lamps is due to a connection or ground in the rear hatch
area. If your car has the mirror turn signals, do they work normally? I have an idea
or two for you to consider: First, you may have a ground that is common to the left
rear lamps as well as perhaps a signal loss in a connector in a tail gate harness. Take
a look at the attached diagrams and note commonalities with faulty lamps and GR01,
a ground in the tailgate, see picture 149 in the CL-25. You may want to inspect, scuff
the area and re-secure the connection. That ground works with lamps on the left rear.
While you are there, take a look at FR-21 in picture 142, there may be a faulty connection
in that connector.
As for the driver side front lamp area, I will address that in another thread later.
Do let us know how your troubleshooting proceeds.

Good luck,
Paul
Thank you for your reply Paul. The Limited drawing that I had of the tail lights showed that it was fed directly from the two channel IPS in the smart junction box. I could not find any ground issues, and the fact that the tail lights do blink when the car is started and when the unlock button is pushed., I decided it would be a rather easy stab at maybe fixing the problem. I also disconnected the tail light and the plate light from the tailgate, and the outer tail light still did not come on. I will try your suggestions and let you know. Thanks again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a trailer hitch? Check the wiring, make sure there is no water in the 4-pin connector. I would even try to completly disconnect the trailer module (there is OEM connectors for it, under the car near the rear bumper if I remember well, follow the wires).

Else try to disconnect completly one tail light assy "module" at a time? Inspect all connectors for water damage or corrosion.
Yes I do have a trailer hitch. Thanks for giving me the suggestion I will check that too.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Jodoob,
Do not follow my recommendation from post #2 yet. Follow Kameleau's advice
to disconnect that trailer lamp under the car. Take a look at picture 112 in the
attached file. That F20 connection is much more likely to be the source of your
issues as it is wired in with the front and rear lamps. If that doesn't fix your issues,
then follow my advice earlier. Use schematic SD928-3 to see the electrical relationships.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your reply Paul. The Limited drawing that I had of the tail lights showed that it was fed directly from the two channel IPS in the smart junction box. I could not find any ground issues, and the fact that the tail lights do blink when the car is started and when the unlock button is pushed., I decided it would be a rather easy stab at maybe fixing the problem. I also disconnected the tail light and the plate light from the tailgate, and the outer tail light still did not come on. I will try your suggestions and let you know. Thanks again
Great advice guys. The trailer connectors are lying on top of the shroud behind the left rear wheel. The tail light loss was right after a snow storm. I unplugged them and it brought a smile to my face. Even the front lights are now working. Thanks again. You guys are the best!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

You nailed it Kameleau. Thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts