Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife parked the 2008 Elantra in the garage. 2 hours later I went to leave and the car started fine, but all the dash lights were on, (ABS, EPS, Battery etc.) and the lights for the AC were on but the fans didn't work. I also had no power steering. What the heck happened???

·
Banned
998 Posts
I guess the battery light would be a clue... no charging? I would begin there. Check voltage, check belts... and update.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
the fact that the car started rules out the battery. starting is the big drain, alternator charges battery.

i think its an ECU glitch myself. i say pull the negative cable off the battery and wait for 20 mins before you reconnect. if it doesn't happen again, well $hit happens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the negative cable off and then tried it. Same thing. Could the ignition switch have gone wacky? It acts as if the car doesn't realize it's started!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
The HD élantra don't have a history of it; but my WAG wild assed guess would be BCM module.

Start with removing the grounds on the drivers side strut tower, grind to bare metal clean all connections use some dielectric grease and reassemble.

Sbr711 the Hyundai tec has mentioned this a few times before.
See what it does after that.

ECM just don' seem to fail on any cars very often; but yeah it's possible.

I doubt ignition switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
********** FIXED!! ***************
Santa 06... right on the money! I took the negative leads off the strut tower and sanded them clean, as well as the strut tower. Re-assembled and everything is working normally. My cost 10 minutes of time. Thanks for your help!!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
********** FIXED!! ***************
Santa 06... right on the money! I took the negative leads off the strut tower and sanded them clean, as well as the strut tower. Re-assembled and everything is working normally. My cost 10 minutes of time. Thanks for your help!!!!
Congrats for getting the problem resolved without spending much bucks on it.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I had to do it on my 07. A few weird electrical issues, mainly with alarm system.

Replaced hood switch first, then TSB'S bullitin recommended higher rubber alarm switch bumper. Then finally removing the paint below the grounds and putting on anti rust compound like SBR711 mentioned; bad grounds can be a common automotive problem.

Cheers glad you got it fixed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts