Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Hyundai Elantra SE that is completely dead except the dash indicators. I just had it into our local dealership this past August 17th for an oil change and multipoint inspection. Supposedly the battery was tested and indicated it was ok. Won't even crank, just ticks when ignition turned to start. Worked fine after the oil change. I verified that I didn't leave any internal or external lighting on. I did find the positive battery terminal clamp was somewhat loose, so I tightened it. No changes. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,695 Posts
Any thoughts?
Auto or manual gearbox?
If it's an auto have you tried moving the shifter to 'N' to see if that gets it cranking?
Have you tried connecting a voltmeter across the battery? What voltage is displayed when everything is switched off? And what do you get when you attempt to start the engine?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a shiftronic automatic. I did try switching to neutral no success. My voltmeter reads 12 to 14 volts with nothing turned on. Just a ticking sound when trying to start vehicle. AAA indicated a defective battery. Will see. I read other components will kill a battery. At the dealership now. Still under factory warranty if anything other than the battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a shiftronic automatic. I did try switching to neutral no success. My voltmeter reads 12 to 14 volts with nothing turned on. Just a ticking sound when trying to start vehicle. AAA indicated a defective battery. Will see. I read other components will kill a battery. At the dealership now. Still under factory warranty if anything other than the battery.
I had a similar issue a few months ago with my 2013 Tucson, it was the remote start module, it was burned, took it to the dealership and they were able to bypass it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2015 Hyundai Elantra SE that is completely dead except the dash indicators. I just had it into our local dealership this past August 17th for an oil change and multipoint inspection. Supposedly the battery was tested and indicated it was ok. Won't even crank, just ticks when ignition turned to start. Worked fine after the oil change. I verified that I didn't leave any internal or external lighting on. I did find the positive battery terminal clamp was somewhat loose, so I tightened it. No changes. Any thoughts?
New battery... That's the way they go, suddenly. If it's the original battery. It could be 5 or 6 years old depending on it's mfg date. Just did my 2015 Sonata. Same thing.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Loose battery terminal? Only a tick sound?
Makes me think of corrosion and high resistance contacts
Clean the battery posts and cable terminals.
Making sure ground strap and chassis contact points are good
Then clean the ignition wire that goes to the starter solenoid.
Do a starter relay by-pass test (if you know how, if you don't then don't mess with it)
That will tell you whether the issue is in the control side or load side of circuit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would say corroded contacts or a bad starter solenoid. An original Hyundai battery should last at least 5 years minimum. Also, if the battery cable was loose the battery may just be run down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts